3 of 3
Why aren’t you a Christian?
Posted: 25 October 2010 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-10-25
Rami - 19 October 2009 10:29 PM

He asked me “Are you a Christian?”  Without delay I answered “No.”  Without even missing a beat he said “Why not?”

It was probably obvious to the student that you don’t believe what you are saying.

Without delay, even missing a beat, you know it is morally wrong for you to be an instructor at a Christian educational institution if you fundamentally disagree.

The only thing I can respect about those who reject a belief in “God” is complete ambivalence, not proselytism.

As for the Gilbert and Sullivan riff (by another poster’s sig), absolutely hilarious!

[ Edited: 25 October 2010 10:09 PM by axeldaddy]

Posted: 26 October 2010 04:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24
axeldaddy - 26 October 2010 02:04 AM

Without delay, even missing a beat, you know it is morally wrong for you to be an instructor at a Christian educational institution if you fundamentally disagree.

You think maybe the institution should have a say in the matter?

Maybe you think Christian students’ beliefs shouldn’t be put at the risk of having to bear up under the fitness pressure created by the presence of a dissenting opinion?

axeldaddy - 26 October 2010 02:04 AM

The only thing I can respect about those who reject a belief in “God” is complete ambivalence, not proselytism.

Maybe that’s why so many believers choose to perceive the unconcealed rejection of their allegations as if it were proselytizing. It’s telling how far believers typically move the goalposts in regard to dissenting opinion regarding gods and religions in order to find offense in them.

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 27 October 2010 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-10-25

Of course the institution should have a say. Don’t know where you want to go with that.

With regards to challenging students, I am all for it. As a Christian, I think I would floor them with what they “believe” the Bible says against what it doesn’t say, or what is often misinterpreted, which is more frequent.

I disagree with an unbeliever who is employed by believers because he, therefore, has no credibility.

Posted: 17 November 2010 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-11-17

If I was to be ask the question, “Are you a Christian?” I would have answer with a yes. Like you I know the Christian dogma, matter of fact I know the dogma of most religions. However, with Christ it goes much father than just being able to talk about with Christians believe. I actually believe it. Why one may ask. Simple, I believe a dead man is alive; that dead man being Jesus Christ. Most would argue, even some who claim to be christians that is not possible to come back to life after being dead and buried for three days. If we are going to believe such a claim, then we must examine why we believe that. I believe it because I believe God exist. God being the ultimate power there is. It seems fitting that God would be able to control death and life given that He is God. How do I know God exist; just look at life. Many probably heard this before that if someone see a watch laying on the side of the road there is one thing that is taken for common knowledge, that the watch has a maker. Even though you never met the maker, seen him, or even know his name you know he exist. No one could argue that the watch does not have a maker therefore arriving at it’s location by chance of nature. Most know thats not true. It is the same with God and creation. One can simply look at it an know there is a God and if there is a God then there must be a purpose to life. The christian belief in purpose is to worship God, Jesus Christ as Lord. So yeah be was probably sadden of the thought that you will spend eternity in Hell. If ask if I was muslim how would I answer? No, because I believe in the Christian God. The reason being, how the Holy books of each religion was written. Islam wrote theirs in a cave with no witnesses, while the Bible was a record that was taking place publicly for everyone to see.

Posted: 18 November 2010 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-11-18

Sylar,

I’ll try and be as polite as possible.

You should probably learn about the development of Islam, since you clearly have no idea.
You should also study the development of Christianity, in depth.

Your post is painful to read.  Like many theological arguments, it has no grounds in reality, history or reason.

To the original poster.  I find it very challenging to answer that simple question without at least mildly offending the person asking.  I’ve used many different responses and generally get fairly similar reactions.

Often i prefer to just say i don’t believe in many first century beliefs and teachings and the bible happens to be among them.  I think we can do quite a bit better now.

There will never be a silver bullet for making the blind faith crowd see.  Our hope lies only in advancement of science, education and finding a way to prevent brainwashing of future children.

Posted: 18 November 2010 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-10-25
Karaya - 18 November 2010 06:32 PM

Sylar,

I’ll try and be as polite as possible.

How condescending! Thank you so much for being so gentle to complete morons!

You should probably learn about the development of Islam, since you clearly have no idea.
You should also study the development of Christianity, in depth.

It is developing? These beliefs are in a constant state of flux?

Your post is painful to read.  Like many theological arguments, it has no grounds in reality, history or reason.

Arguments which go against what you believe. Again, note the arrogance.

To the original poster.  I find it very challenging to answer that simple question without at least mildly offending the person asking.  I’ve used many different responses and generally get fairly similar reactions.

More arrogance.

Often i prefer to just say i don’t believe in many first century beliefs and teachings and the bible happens to be among them.  I think we can do quite a bit better now.

How often do you use this method to avoid accepting intellectual challenges?

There will never be a silver bullet for making the blind faith crowd see.  Our hope lies only in advancement of science, education and finding a way to prevent brainwashing of future children.

Hate life to be your child.

Posted: 18 November 2010 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-10-25

Hey, you Christians out there!

You do not study the Bible!

You have created a world of unbelievers because you misinterpret the Bible.

There is no such thing as eternal torment for unbelievers in the Bible.

Your only understanding is of the King James version, and V1.2, V2.3, and other upgrades. lol.(What most misinterpret about the Bible is idiomatic!)

Anyone who has an interest in other languages understands that language is, and language creates, culture.

The word “hell” is a concept created by others. The word “angel” is a concept created by others.

The words, “hell” and “angel” are the most often abused in modern Christianity, yet neither of them exist in the Bible, as it is preached! Search the etymology.

Christianity is a mess. God’s accuser must be pleased.

Here is a link to understand Islam, whose adherents sympathise with those who choose nothing, or some other thing than theirs: http://inthenameofallah.org/introduction.html

People say, “God loves you”, but they ignore the caveat which requires loving God.

Posted: 04 December 2010 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-12-04
Rami - 19 October 2009 10:29 PM

Today I was teaching a voice lesson at the Christian university where I work.  We were working on “My Lord, What a Morning!” - a well-known spiritual.  I was trying to get my student to be expressive, so I urged him to consider the words - the trumpet sounding, the “nations under ground” rising to be judged, the stars falling as the world is destroyed, the yearning to be at right hand of God, etc.  He asked me “Are you a Christian?”  Without delay I answered “No.”  Without even missing a beat he said “Why not?”

That really surprised me.  Not the question itself, but the attitude that being a Christian is the default, and to not be a Christian one must have a really good reason.  It’s almost as if he thinks that one is a Christian or one is a rebel against Christianity.  Or maybe I am over-thinking this…

He said that from the way I speak I could be a preacher - since clearly I understand the Christian dogma.  And so I guess maybe he is thinking that it would be one thing if I just had not spent much time thinking about Jesus or if I were Jewish or a Muslim or something.  But I understand it - so why I is it that I am not a Christian?  Have I deliberately turned away from Christianity?

I have worked with this young man for several years.  I have genuine affection for him and his talent.  It saddens me that he might think that after I die God will send me to damnation, where I will be incinerated and destroyed in the lake of fire.  Does he really think I deserve that? 

Anyway, if you were in my position, what would you have answered?  I did not want to get into a discussion with him about my personal beliefs, which could lead to my losing my job.  So I just told him that I am not a Christian for several reasons, but that I find Christianity fascinating and that I know my stuff (meaning, I know what Christians believe).  On the way home I kicked myself for not answering his question with “Why aren’t you a Muslim?”  How would you have answered his question?  Once he graduates, I will have this conversation with him.  So, I’d appreciate ideas on what to say to him.  Thanks.

I am a bit late but I wanted to answer your question. Reasons: I don’t see evidence for God (any of them Gods or goddesses and such.. I am an atheist but i digress). I see nothing good coming from Christianity. lies about sex, abusive towards children, racism, slavery, genocide,it goes against science. It denies evolution in favour of a myth of creation. The virgin myth (which makes no sense).

3 of 3

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed