Jesus and Harry Potter: Most popular fictional characters?
Posted: 26 April 2011 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-04-26

I wanted to open up a new topic for this one, there have been several great books recently arguing for a fully mythical Jesus. The new book “Jesus Potter Harry Christ” compares Jesus to Harry Potter in order to identify the mythic elements of the gospels. Although several books and some media attention has focused on the Christian controversy and response to the Harry Potter series, this book is revolutionary in suggesting that Jesus (as presented in the gospels) is, like Harry Potter, a collection of epic world literature embodied in one literary figure.

You can grab a free review copy on the website http://www.jesuspotterharrychrist.com

Here are some of the reviews:
“Particularly absorbing and highly topical: namely, the idea that nothing substantially separates Jesus of Nazareth from Harry Potter except that most human beings believe in the historical reality of the former. As part of the continuing debate over the nature of Christ, not only among Christians but between them and today’s wave of atheist thinkers, Jesus Potter, Harry Christ is timely. Linking this analysis, moreover, to J. K. Rowling’s globally popular character further heightens its relevancy.” Jeff Crouse, Ph.D – Parmenides

“This is probably the first time a book encapsulates the works of contemporary mythicists such as G.A. Wells, Timothy Freke, Tom Harpur, Acharya S., Earl Doherty, and Robert Price. Whether one has a basic inkling or a profound knowledge of the syncretic casserole that spawned the world’s largest religion, Jesus Potter Harry Christ is a valuable compendium. Murphy bares a scalpel intellect in his first scholarly venture, dissecting the figure of Jesus Christ while peeling open the wonderful tales the other rising-dying godmen that once upon a time captivated pagan audiences across western civilization. Murphy never explicitly denies the historicity of Jesus Christ, but indicates that he has been basically swallowed whole by imagination and legendry. Miguel Conner, Aeon Byte Gnostic Radio

“Controversial, and full of fascinating, insufficiently disseminated information.” —Heresy Corner

“This is a truly grand expose of the Christ mythology, and done in such a refreshing and unique manner. Who would’ve thought to come up with the idea of comparing the two characters, first of all, then execute the narrative so perfectly, so that it clearly demonstrates the similarities of these not so ‘historical’ characters? Well, Derek Murphy did! And that’s why I have no hesitation in recommending this scholarly, yet entertaining, book.” CJ Werleman, author of “God Hates You. Hate Him Back.”

“The initial discussion of Jesus Potter Harry Christ – focusing on J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter books, the commonalities between Jesus and Harry Potter as literary figures, ancient and current controversies, and pagan gods and goddesses in mythological traditions – sets the stage for Murphy’s comprehensive, fluid and riveting history of how and why Christianity rose and continued to develop through to the second Council of Nicaea (787 AD). From Heraclitus to Plato, pagan and Jewish mythologies, readers are finally directed straight to the Apostle Paul and the instruction of his mysteries to congregations that laid the foundations of the early Christian world. Murphy’s book is too broad to capture in a single review, but suffice it to say that a changed worldview can be effected for laypeople and biblical commentators who are interested in deepening their awareness of the connections between pagan, Jewish, and Christian history.” Clarice O’Callaghan – The Jesus Mysteries Yahoo forum.

“My initial response to reading the title was that this was a joke of some sort. But I encourage anyone interested in the gospels and Jesus as literature to read the content below and see that it does seek to be a serious contribution to an understanding of the literary and mythical character of Jesus. Neither is this a slur against Christianity. The author rightly explains that the fictional nature of characters does not detract from the positive influence that character can have on those who love them. The author also answers pertinent questions about his rationale for writing such a book, the status, history and grounds of Jesus-mythicism. I particularly like the main idea of this book: Our question then is not whether Jesus Christ existed, but whether the literary character recorded in the New Testament was primarily inspired by a historical figure or previous literary traditions and characters.” Neil Godfrey – vridar.wordpress.com/

Posted: 26 April 2011 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-04-24

I’m Christian, I don’t think they’re the same. The Bible is classical literature, up there and beyond with Homer, Shakespeare, Milton, etc. Harry Potter is pop culture, which is fast food type culture; processed, homogenized.

The classics tell you about the deepest issues concerning your existence. That’s why they stand the test of time over centuries. I don’t know if this society could fall, then have a subsequent dark age, the rise and fall of new empires and kingdoms and then Harry Potter or any pop culture could still be around. The writings of the Bible have survived that and then some.

Pop culture contains circus entertainment style stuff in it. That’s why it doesn’t rise to the level of HIGH CULTURE like the Bible is.

Posted: 26 April 2011 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11

In the New Testament, we have at least two first-hand eyewitness accounts of Jesus’ resurrection: that of Paul in I Corinthians 15 and that of John in John 20-21.  Do we have any first-hand eyewitness accounts of seeing Harry Potter?

Posted: 26 April 2011 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1044
Joined  2008-02-15
Ecurb Noselrub - 26 April 2011 11:47 PM

In the New Testament, we have at least two first-hand eyewitness accounts of Jesus’ resurrection: that of Paul in I Corinthians 15 and that of John in John 20-21.  Do we have any first-hand eyewitness accounts of seeing Harry Potter?

LOL! first-hand eyewitness accounts. We have more first-hand eyewitness accounts of alien anal probing then of Jesus.

Signature 

Why is there Something instead of Nothing: No reason or ever knowable reason.

Kissing Hank’s Ass
Pope Song (rated NC17).

Posted: 27 April 2011 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24
Ecurb Noselrub - 26 April 2011 11:47 PM

As I understand it we have dozens in the original source material, and tens or hundreds of thousands if we consider contemporary “accounts”.

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed