Where do you look for external moral guidance?
Posted: 01 July 2012 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-05-02

Hi all,

I registered here to pose you my dilemma.

When confronted with a moral issue, and when you are unable to figure out the right answer by yourself, where do you turn to for an “external moral guidance”?

Of course some easy answers to this would be (a) your close friends, (b) your parents or relatives, and in most cases these are sufficient, but sometimes your close friends don’t seem experienced enough and their answers might be unconvincing, and your parents or relatives might be people you are not friends with, or some who know you but don’t share your lifestyle, or you might simply prefer not to disclose certain personal matters to them.

To explain this better through a parallel, if I ask any of my friends or relatives questions in regards to religion they all seem quite narrow-minded in their answers and lack the brilliance and insight of people such as Sam Harris. I hope it’s clear by now where I am getting at.

If I am confronting a dilemma on let’s say relationships in the 21st century, where should I look for advice and inspiration that is not outdated? Is there a website, a directory / organisation, or public intellectuals you would recommend? How did you come across Sam Harris, and what is the best way in your opinion to find more individuals “of his calibre” ?

I know of TED and big think, which are platforms I myself recommend, but I keep on wondering if I am missing out on something so I put forward my enquiry for suggestions.

Thanks

Fred

Posted: 08 July 2012 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-06-24

The community of a University, perhaps?

Posted: 22 July 2012 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2011-05-06

What’s your dilemma?

Posted: 22 July 2012 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2821
Joined  2005-04-29
atheistardust - 01 July 2012 03:43 PM

When confronted with a moral issue, and when you are unable to figure out the right answer by yourself, where do you turn to for an “external moral guidance”?

You go here, Fred:
http://www.project-reason.org/forum/
. . . or to one of the other online forums that seem to specialize in non-theistic morality-style thinking.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 09 September 2012 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-05-02

Thank you for your replies, my dilemmas mostly consists of how to deal with relationships, jealousy, promiscuity, “betrayal”, and so on - in specific situations where one could be the “victim” or the “offender”. 

For example, I would like to hear an intelligent debate on whether it is possible to eradicate jealousy and if so how to deal with it or prevent it.

Project Reason forum looks good I will surely register there. Thanks

Posted: 09 September 2012 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  800
Joined  2010-11-12
atheistardust - 09 September 2012 05:42 PM

Thank you for your replies, my dilemmas mostly consists of how to deal with relationships, jealousy, promiscuity, “betrayal”, and so on - in specific situations where one could be the “victim” or the “offender”. 

For example, I would like to hear an intelligent debate on whether it is possible to eradicate jealousy and if so how to deal with it or prevent it.

Project Reason forum looks good I will surely register there. Thanks

It takes a lot of time and effort to find and keep a mate.
Jealousy is hardwired.
Be open to the idea that in life there are no choices.
The brain reacts in the only way it can.
If you still believe that choice exists, be a little kinder to your self.
Life is hard and everyone does the very best they can.

[ Edited: 10 September 2012 09:52 AM by toombaru]

‹‹ Free Will      Top 25 creationist fallacies ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed