Chaplains and prisoners
Posted: 05 October 2012 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  140
Joined  2012-08-11

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/10/05/federal-government-ends-contracts-with-minority-faith-chaplains/

It’s a step in the right direction - minority religions will not have representative chaplain services paid for anymore.
One observation will be that this is discriminatory, and that is quite correct (though I believe the stats say that Christians are the highest represented group behind bars).  The obvious answer is, taxpayers shouldn’t be paying for any religious workers in our prison systems at all.  Remove them all and there is no discrimination.

Signature 

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.
~ Hitch

I prefer the full-on embrace of reality to the spiritual masturbation that is religion.
~ S.A. Ladoucier

I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people
~ M. Teresa, Fruitcake of Calcutta

Posted: 05 October 2012 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2012-08-21

Remove them all and there is no discrimination.

Indeed.  And they should all immediately be replaced by Peter Boghossian’s Socratic method inmate reform program.

Let’s see, should we spend time and money encouraging prisoners to believe in fairy tales, or instead expend those resources giving them critical thinking skills for their return to society?  Gee, tough call there, huh?

The article was an interesting read, but if the following quote came from a US federal official, lawyers here would climb over one another for the chance to skewer it:

“However, the Government of Canada is not in the business of picking and choosing which religions will be given preferential status through government funding.”

Maybe those wielding the skewers would have a point, since it seems the decision contradicts this statement, and in fact has resulted in preferential treatment given to Christianity.

Talk of lawsuits of course assumes that the federal government here in America has anything to do with prison chaplain contracts, which, being that the prison system in this country has become increasingly decentralized and privatized, I doubt. I have to admit my ignorance on this subject.  Here’s an interesting bit of Pew research on American prison chaplains.  Seems to suggest each state decides its own prison chaplain hiring policy.  That doesn’t rule out state-level lawsuits, should only Christians be employed, however.  States must adhere to the First Amendment as well, after all.

Posted: 05 October 2012 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  140
Joined  2012-08-11
JamesEvans - 05 October 2012 05:13 PM

Remove them all and there is no discrimination.

Indeed.  And they should all immediately be replaced by Peter Boghossian’s Socratic method inmate reform program.

Let’s see, should we spend time and money encouraging prisoners to believe in fairy tales, or instead expend those resources giving them critical thinking skills for their return to society?  Gee, tough call there, huh?

The article was an interesting read, but if the following quote came from a US federal official, lawyers here would climb over one another for the chance to skewer it:

“However, the Government of Canada is not in the business of picking and choosing which religions will be given preferential status through government funding.”

Maybe those wielding the skewers would have a point, since it seems the decision contradicts this statement, and in fact has resulted in preferential treatment given to Christianity.

Talk of lawsuits of course assumes that the federal government here in America has anything to do with prison chaplain contracts, which, being that the prison system in this country has become increasingly decentralized and privatized, I doubt. I have to admit my ignorance on this subject.  Here’s an interesting bit of Pew research on American prison chaplains.  Seems to suggest each state decides its own prison chaplain hiring policy.  That doesn’t rule out state-level lawsuits, should only Christians be employed, however.  States must adhere to the First Amendment as well, after all.

Exactly, which is why I’m quite sure there will be a follow-up amendment that would regard all religions equally, as they should be (at least, as far as my tax dollars are concerned).  I refuse to put money in a collection plate in support of stupidity.

Now we just have to liquidate the separate school board here, and we may become a true democracy yet.

Signature 

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.
~ Hitch

I prefer the full-on embrace of reality to the spiritual masturbation that is religion.
~ S.A. Ladoucier

I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people
~ M. Teresa, Fruitcake of Calcutta

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed