2 of 2
Sam to Be at SF Conv. OCT 6 2006
Posted: 08 October 2006 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  754
Joined  2005-01-03

Too bad that Noggin did not introduce himself to Sam as “The Champion” just to see his reaction :twisted:

About how many people attended? 

How would you describe the demographic of the attendees?

Signature 

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful…..Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Roman (3 BC - 65 AD)

Posted: 08 October 2006 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2005-11-15

I’m terrible at head-counts in large rooms, CA :oops:, and each event was attended by only some of the attendees. Noggin, for example, was only there for Sam. At that sitting, I’ll take a stab and guess maybe 300-400? Nogs may be better at guestimating.

The demographic seemed more mature overall—40s, 50s and 60s, mostly, and several in their 70s—with 20-, 30-somethings appearing to be in the minority. There were, I believe only half a dozen minors present at Julia Sweeney’s show on Saturday, and there were also more people in attendance that show, perhaps another 100, because it immediately followed a sit-down dinner.

Sadly, neither of us thought to ask if Sam knew of the champ raspberry. Just think, if the answer was yes, then champ might have to start speaking nicely of Sam, knowing he’s being watched by the Master of his playground wink.

He did reinterate that his strong suit is definitely not in organizing group efforts, but that he has been approached about doing a documentary. Details are entirely cloudy at this stage. He seems realistic, as we are, that this is going to be slow-going in the USA.

Personally, I am more pessimistic than Sam is. The faithful are indeed out-breeding everybody else. . . but on the bright side, we might have achieved time-travel within one more generation. Unfortunately, it will likely involve a one-way trip back into the 14th century for all of us :?.

Signature 

Welcome to Planet Earth, where Belief masquerades as Knowledge!

This way to the Unasked Questions—->
<—- This way to the Unquestioned Answers

Posted: 09 October 2006 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  766
Joined  2006-02-20

Thank you for the post, Mia. Please tell us more when you feel like it.

Sadly, neither of us thought to ask if Sam knew of the champ Razz. Just think, if the answer was yes, then champ might have to start speaking nicely of Sam, knowing he’s being watched by the Master of his playground Wink.

Last May, in a thread called “Why Do You Guys Put Up with This?”, the champ wrote (and I quote verbatim) “Sam likes me.” I don’t recall any further explanation. It does not pass the limits of my imagination to contemplate being friends with someone afflicted with tuberculosis either. I just don’t want to share his handkerchief.

Posted: 09 October 2006 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2006-07-08

[quote author=“Mia”]
For those who were interested in getting a recording of the speeches, I saw no sound technicians of any sort there. It was relatively low-tech overall, even casual. There was no special stage lighting, either. You might try calling or emailing the Freedom From Religion offices, though, since they would certainly know if recordings exist. Phone numbers and emails are on the site referenced in the first post.

A convention like that probably wouldn’t be handled by a staging company.  They just use the house A/V staff.  They plug the microphones into a mixer and into the wall and out the little speakers in the ceiling it goes.  If they want to sell tapes and cds of the event, sometimes there are people (we affectionately call ‘em “tapeworms”) who hang out behind the scenes, usually at a big patch bay, and record all the sessions.  They then burn discs out assembly-line style for sale at the event.  If Mia didn’t see any kiosks selling day of convention recordings, it probably wasn’t recorded at all.  Pity.  It’s sad I couldn’t make it, ‘cuz I definitely would have had my little lappytop all set up to record a la Spider Jerusalem :D .
Not for sale mind you, just for me and my friends’ enjoyment.

Plus, I’m far more suave than Spider Jerusalem.  And more real as well :wink:

Signature 

History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.

-James Joyce

2 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed