New Anti-Theist
Posted: 09 June 2007 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  200
Joined  2007-06-08

Hi All,

Here I am after not only discovering, recently, that I'm an athiest (never really believed all that religion crap in spite of being raised a Catholic), but low and behold, thanks to Colin McGinn, I discovered I am really an anti theist and I can't just ignore the ignorance that calls itself belief.

I think I will enjoy this forum very much and I hope I can open some eyes and minds.

I also like to rock, the already unsteady, boat. 

Dom

Signature 

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”

Steven Weinberg

Posted: 10 June 2007 03:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27

[quote author=“The anti-theist”]Hi All,

Here I am after not only discovering, recently, that I’m an athiest (never really believed all that religion crap in spite of being raised a Catholic), but low and behold, thanks to Colin McGinn, I discovered I am really an anti theist and I can’t just ignore the ignorance that calls itself belief.

I think I will enjoy this forum very much and I hope I can open some eyes and minds.

Dom

You and I will get on splendidly, Dom.  :D

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 10 June 2007 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23

[quote author=“Salt Creek”][quote author=“The anti-theist”]Hi All,

Here I am after not only discovering, recently, that I’m an athiest (never really believed all that religion crap in spite of being raised a Catholic), but low and behold, thanks to Colin McGinn, I discovered I am really an anti theist and I can’t just ignore the ignorance that calls itself belief.

Dom

You and I will get on splendidly, Dom.  :D

He could use a little instruction in punctuation.  And I’m not saying that in a mean way.

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 10 June 2007 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-27
[quote author=“made_maka”]He could use a little instruction in punctuation.

I also think that “atheist” can sometimes be confused with “athiest”. Ain’t I the athiest person you ever met?

Me, I just like to rock the unsteady. I feel it’s compassionate, because it is what they are comfortable with.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 10 June 2007 06:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-23

[quote author=“Salt Creek”]
I also think that “atheist” can sometimes be confused with “athiest”. Ain’t I the athiest person you ever met?

You are indeed very athie. 

Someone on NPR suggested we start using the word “faithiness” (a la Stephen Colbert’s “truthiness”) to differentiate the presidential candidates this time around.  It’s a shame none of them will be described in terms of “athieness”.

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

Posted: 10 June 2007 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-23

[quote author=“The anti-theist”]low and behold, thanks to Colin McGinn, I discovered I am really an anti theist and I can’t just ignore the ignorance that calls itself belief.

There you go.

[quote author=“The anti-theist”]I think I will enjoy this forum very much and I hope I can open some eyes and minds.

We share your hope. 

[quote author=“The anti-theist”]I also like to rock, the already unsteady, boat.

Dom, I joked about your punctuation.  Don’t let it distract you from posting; I’m an incurable nit-picker.  I even write indignant notes in library books: Whatever happened to editors???  I’m already interested in reading your comments.

Signature 

Posted: 10 June 2007 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-27

Speaking of the unsteady, boat: Some folks here (not us, Dom and pre-Malapert) like to bob with their heads just above water in the darkness inside an overturned rowboat at midnight, and pretend they do not feel the sharks brushing by their ankles.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 10 June 2007 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-08

Hi Guys,

Don’t worry I’m not put off. I have a strange sense of humour myself. (Only I get my own jokes) :D .

Thanks for your welcoming comments.

Dom

Did you hear the one about the Priest and the Rabbi who were on a flight together?

Signature 

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”

Steven Weinberg

Posted: 10 June 2007 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-23

[quote author=“Salt Creek”]pre-Malapert

No such luck apparently.  I felt mildly insulted, however, and I also laughed.  Now I don’t know about you, but I consider that a successful post.

Signature 

Posted: 11 June 2007 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1568
Joined  2006-03-02

anti-theist,

So what did Colin McGinn do to you?

Signature 

What do I care for a hell for oppressors? What good can hell do, since those children have already been tortured? And what becomes of harmony, if there is hell? I want to forgive. I want to embrace. I don’t want more suffering. And if the sufferings of children go to swell the sum of sufferings which was necessary to pay for truth, then I protest that the truth is not worth such a price.
-Ivan Karamazov

Posted: 11 June 2007 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2007-04-13

[quote author=“waltercat”]anti-theist,

My guess it that he saw McGinn’s interview with Jonathan Miller for A Brief History of Disbelief (which is, by the way, a fantastic documentary that everyone should watch), in which McGinn defines antitheism as active opposition to theism and distinguishes it from “mere atheism.”

The label “antitheist” seems to be gaining ground, mostly thanks to Christopher Hitchens’s using it in his new book. Personally I like it, it makes a lot more sense than the ridiculous phrase “New Atheists.”

Posted: 11 June 2007 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-08

[quote author=“AmericanHumanist”][quote author=“waltercat”]anti-theist,

My guess it that he saw McGinn’s interview with Jonathan Miller for A Brief History of Disbelief (which is, by the way, a fantastic documentary that everyone should watch), in which McGinn defines antitheism as active opposition to theism and distinguishes it from “mere atheism.”

The label “antitheist” seems to be gaining ground, mostly thanks to Christopher Hitchens’s using it in his new book. Personally I like it, it makes a lot more sense than the ridiculous phrase “New Atheists.”

Yes. That is what happened.

I can’t just sit around not believing in God, I have a need to try and stop this nonsense.

Dom

Signature 

Steven Weinberg

‹‹ Sam Harris is so right      Is it Plagiarism? ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed