End of Experiment
Posted: 19 June 2007 01:21 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2005-02-22

I see that I am one of many new Jedi Spam Fighters. Perhaps some of us have some different ideas about what is spam. How did we loose the whole ten page “Thought Experiment” thread? Bit of a drunken brawl maybe, but spam?
I assume it’s lost. But why?
I suppose that’s one way to end the party. And no beer bottles to clean up.

I have some chunks of it copied to word if anyone’s interested in a modest rebuild. I just put a novel on for eucaryote on Saturday and an emotional plea to Burt on Sunday. Oh, well. We can move on.

A forum without spam is like a person without a God.

Signature 

Delude responsibly.

Posted: 19 June 2007 03:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2821
Joined  2005-04-29

Nhoj, do you think someone’s hacking this place or was it just a mistake done by an anti-spammer? How difficult would it be to hack into a forum like this?

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 19 June 2007 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1568
Joined  2006-03-02

That is very odd.  I has a similar experience recently.  I was looking for the “Submit Your Best Joke Thread”, which I thought was in the Other Reading Forum.  But I could not find it.  I just assumed that I was loopy or something and forgot where the thread was.  But a diligent search turned up nothing. 

So apparently there are entire threads being deleted.

Signature 

What do I care for a hell for oppressors? What good can hell do, since those children have already been tortured? And what becomes of harmony, if there is hell? I want to forgive. I want to embrace. I don’t want more suffering. And if the sufferings of children go to swell the sum of sufferings which was necessary to pay for truth, then I protest that the truth is not worth such a price.
-Ivan Karamazov

Posted: 19 June 2007 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-29

A lot of material is now missing from the Philosophy thread. Could it be that a hacker got to it by way of first hacking into one of the anti-spammer’s e-mail address? Just a thought. Maybe that list of spam fighters should have been kept secret by the administrator.

At this point, I consider the entire forum to be unreliable. We had fun for a while, but atheist haters are, if my guess is correct, in control now. I hope my guess is mistaken.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 19 June 2007 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-22

Did the Taliban get DSL?
This site is slowly being trashed.
Like going to your favorite corner bar and finding that all the graffiti around the pay phone has been painted over.

You are right, lots of stuff is missing now.
I was going to put the Bob and Ray thing in the “submit your best joke” thread. I figured I just couldn’t find it.

Perhaps one of the spam fighters is not what they seem.

Sure makes you want to submit your heart and life to Jesus, doesn’t it.

Signature 

Delude responsibly.

Posted: 20 June 2007 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-29

[quote author=“Nhoj Morley”]. . .
Perhaps one of the spam fighters is not what they seem.

I’d really be surprised if it’s an inside job, Nhoj. Think about how common it is for marketing spammers to hack around using e-mail addresses. Once they have access to your personal cyber space, they can do whatever they want if they’re patient. I remember such a problem with MJ back in early 2005, who was being harassed for her views on Terry Schiavo (however it’s spelled). It always surprised me that this site has even stayed up as long as it has, considering how outspoken and controversial most of us here are.

Signature 

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 20 June 2007 03:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27

[quote author=“Nhoj Morley”]I see that I am one of many new Jedi Spam Fighters. Perhaps some of us have some different ideas about what is spam. How did we loose the whole ten page “Thought Experiment” thread? Bit of a drunken brawl maybe, but spam?
I assume it’s lost. But why?

I suspect problems with the forum’s database software. I noticed that all my posts were intact by going to my member profile (actually, my now-prodigious :D posting totals tipped me off enough to go into the profile to look for them). I was able to add a post to the thread and so the Thought Experiment is now in progress again.

I think the paranoia expressed in the posts above mine in this thread are the echoes of superstitious tales told around Neolithic campfires. smile

[quote author=“waltercat”]So apparently there are entire threads being deleted.

[quote author=“Nhoj”]Did the Taliban get DSL?

Presumably, God is just reminding you that He still exists and has total power over you. :razz:

Leave it to a scientist to keep an experiment going longer than it should be allowed to.  :D

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 20 June 2007 03:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-22

[quote author=“Salt Creek”]
I think the paranoia expressed in the posts above mine in this thread are the echoes of superstitious tales told around Neolithic campfires.

Personally, I suspected a human agency, and one who’s garden had a gun emplacement.

Who knew Salt had such God-like powers? Thanks, pal.

Roll out the Barrels! Let the sinning resume!

Signature 

Delude responsibly.

Posted: 20 June 2007 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-29

[quote author=“Salt Creek”]. . .
I think the paranoia expressed in the posts above mine in this thread are the echoes of superstitious tales told around Neolithic campfires. smile

I can assure you with absolute certainty that my suspicions arrived legitimately, by way of Michael812’s distant sources. By the way, I’ve recently come to the realization that my DNA is more tightly wound than what is normal for earthlings. Much more tightly. I don’t usually admit this apparent disability, but am feeling loquacious tonight. Nice work, S.C. The forces are with you.

Signature 

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 21 June 2007 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-22

I have deleted four spams. Very satisfying. I have restored three threads by finding any remembered piece of it through anyone’s profile and opening the page it’s on. That puts it back on the roster. Just like Mr. Scientist said.

Homunculus:
I’ve recently come to the realization that my DNA is more tightly wound than what is normal for earthlings.

Or space beings, probably. After a sudden carpet-bombing, a little shell-shocked paranoia is understandable. At least, some of us have our emotions intact.

Admin:
I don’t think spammers would spend time subtly sabotaging certain threads. They make money through bulk, automated procedures.

I don’t understand how money can be made by posting these stupid links. I thought all this was done to be annoying.
How can we make spamming lethal, and a lethal that is swift and certain? Is Ron Paul for that?

Signature 

Delude responsibly.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed