Putting Faith on trial
Posted: 21 December 2004 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2004-12-21

Is there some benefit to putting Faith on trial, in a public, symbolic way?

It could be strung out for some time if the merciless daily coverage of that Peterson person is any indication.

We would need to get this process into the public forum to generate the needed publicity, awareness, and participation for:

Defining the charges against Faith (i.e. religion)
Selecting a judge
Selecting a prosecutor (C. Hitchens gets my vote)
selecting the jury
defining the epistemology, or court procedures
presenting the evidence for and against
declaring judgement
punishment (not to prejudge, but burning at the stake comes to mind for some reason)
etc.

Could this get legs?

Posted: 21 December 2004 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2004-12-21

Dream on, Fjripit. You don’t seem to understand the nature—or should I say the mind—of the adversary. WE would be the ones to be declared crazy, amoral, and needing to be put away.

Posted: 21 December 2004 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2004-12-21

How about having a press conference announcing a new religion that’s completely illogical (to viewers)?

Or, sending a letter to Al Queda explaining where the red states are.  IOW, the blue states stand a higher chance of an attack when they’re mostly (if not all) blue.

I have another way, but I’ll wait for more people to come to the forum before I explain (DaVinci code-ish but completely true).

JL

Posted: 21 December 2004 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2004-12-21

I chose the movies as my forum.
It seemed like the best way to reach the most people for someone like me.
I just started the production company last month, http://www.willfilmproductions.com.
3 of the properties take the viewer down a Frank Capraesque/anti religious path.
We’ll see. If we get 1/2 the audience of “The Passion,” and 1/10 the publicity- the sky’s the limit.
It’s no trial, and I’m not being fair- sue me.

Posted: 21 December 2004 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-21

[quote author=“Sweeney”]I chose the movies as my forum.
It seemed like the best way to reach the most people for someone like me.
I just started the production company last month, http://www.willfilmproductions.com.
3 of the properties take the viewer down a Frank Capraesque/anti religious path.
We’ll see. If we get 1/2 the audience of “The Passion,” and 1/10 the publicity- the sky’s the limit.
It’s no trial, and I’m not being fair- sue me.

I have a wickedly interesting “fictional” movie (along the lines of DaVinci and the recent Decl. of Independence movie with Nicholas Cage).  Present it as fiction when all along it’s REALLY true.

JL

Posted: 21 December 2004 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Joined  2004-12-21

what format?
If it’s in Final Draft, or Adobe, send it to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).
For both our protections, you should WGA register, or copyright it first.

Posted: 21 December 2004 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2004-12-21
[quote author=“Beth Kurtz”]Dream on, Fjripit. You don’t seem to understand the nature—or should I say the mind—of the adversary. WE would be the ones to be declared crazy, amoral, and needing to be put away.

I agree with you Beth. The adversary is indeed formidable and my meager 1st attempt at one approach to confront the foe would likely see me figuratively (and maybe literally) being slaughtered before I could say boo.

To put forth the proposition that we can somehow engage people on a large scale to think critically, constructively, and with intellectual honesty about religious faith is bold, to say the least. Given the current world condition with respect to available technology (nuclear, internet) and religious fanaticism, me thinks that we may be ethically bound to step up to the front lines to take some bullets.

I like to believe that I like a challenge and will perservere. This is a good challenge.

Posted: 21 December 2004 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-21

[quote author=“Sweeney”]what format?
If it’s in Final Draft, or Adobe, send it to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).
For both our protections, you should WGA register, or copyright it first.

It’s a plot/idea only.  But, it seems that with a good idea, stories write themselves.

I’m not a screenwriter.  I’d give the idea away for free IF someone can get it to the masses (in any form).

JL

Posted: 21 December 2004 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-21
[quote author=“Beth Kurtz”]Dream on, Fjripit. You don’t seem to understand the nature—or should I say the mind—of the adversary. WE would be the ones to be declared crazy, amoral, and needing to be put away.

Which is why my other thread (started by exploded-planet-god) can engage believers in a conversation ABOUT their beliefs.

JL

Posted: 21 December 2004 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Rank
Joined  2004-12-21

You can sharpen your scriptwriting skills at zoetrope.com(F. Copola), or triggerstreet.com(K. Spacey).
No charge.

Posted: 22 December 2004 02:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-21

[quote author=“Sweeney”]You can sharpen your scriptwriting skills at zoetrope.com(F. Copola), or triggerstreet.com(K. Spacey).
No charge.

If your post was mean to for me, I thank you for the advice.

However, I don’t want to be a screenwriter.  I DO want my idea (and eventual facts) put into a “fictional” setting otherwise it would be a dry documentary.

JL

Posted: 22 December 2004 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2004-12-21

While it is unlikely that you will change the mind of a believer since they will not listen to any rational or scientific reason, you can debate them on Bible facts and distortions and let those not brainwashed have another viewpoint.
An on line discussion is the only way to go where the responses of the clergy can be refuted and shown Not valid.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed