1 of 2
Marilyn Manson—-Bible Speech
Posted: 06 June 2008 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26

At the end of a concert tour, Manson reads from and talks about the bible and Christian protesters.

Marilyn Manson—guns god and government

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted: 07 June 2008 04:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2008-05-23

It’s definitely an interesting place to find the light of truth shone into the dark places in that dusty, blood-soaked tome.

I’ve seen Manson interviewed and he’s no fool.  He’s an entertainer, certainly.  He has his stage persona, and his real persona, and he’s a realist with regards to what he does to cater to his fans.  But he pulls no punches and he infuses his “act” with examples of the hypocrisy he sees in today’s society, in an attempt to educate in an artistic way.

I guess what I’m saying is that based on what I know about him, I believe he finds these aspects of religion as dangerous as we do.

I must admit, I like him more for having the courage to risk his popularity by in a sense preaching to his fans on this point.

Thank you for posting that!

[ Edited: 07 June 2008 06:31 AM by Oolon Colluphid]
 Signature 

“My ambition is to live to see all of Physics reduced to a formula so elegant and simple that it will fit easily on the front of a t-shirt.”

—Leon Lederman

Posted: 07 June 2008 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-26

You’re welcome!

Here’s an interview with Henry Rollins where Manson talks about politics and art.

Rollins interview with Manson Part 2

He addresses the right wing’s influence on American culture. The video also has a link to part 1.

Signature 

Posted: 07 June 2008 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  952
Joined  2006-06-26

Did you notice in the credits, near the end, that under the “A special thanks to” section, was listed Tammy Faye Baker. How interesting…

Signature 

“We have it recorded in a book called the Bible.”

To be blunt, the Bible records all manner of silly shit.

Posted: 07 June 2008 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-26

I did notice that and I remember hearing that she turned a new leaf after she left Bakker. She became an advocate for AIDS research.

I didn’t see the whole tour film, so I don’t know if Bakker was presented as friend or foe, or what her role in it was.

Signature 

Posted: 22 June 2008 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-26

Manson as teacher

Here, MM makes a surprise visit to a college art class and talks about religion and art.

Signature 

Posted: 29 June 2008 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  949
Joined  2007-10-08

At the end of a concert tour, Manson reads from and talks about the bible and Christian protesters.

And yet, before that pre-taped diatribe, he is helped off the stage because his drunken stupid ass is too wasted to know who or what the fuck he is, hence the pre-taped audio of him speaking at the end.  cool grin

rab,rab,rab, this dude is a poser and a pseudo-intellectual. This idiot supposedly put bleach in one of his eyes for bullshit’s sake… (or was it a gimmick to get attention and fame?... either way, proof positive that he’s a POSER; a megalomaniac with no real musical talent.) He mainly does covers… all in the name of what, exactly?  Self-indulgent, money-grubbing, xeroxed, copy-cat performance “art.”

Again. I love ya rab, but c’mon mon, recognize fakery and posery and idiocy when it’s right in front of your unbleached eyes. Just because he recognizes the hypocrisy of the bible and religion doesn’t make him a talented, authentic musician or performance artist.

Signature 

“Proving the efficacy of a methodology without defining the word ‘efficacy’ can come back to bite you in the assertion.”—Salt Creek

Posted: 29 June 2008 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-26

I happen to think Manson is a pretty smart guy. He may do covers, but most of his stuff is original. I have “AntiChrist Superstar” and “Lest We Forget,” a compilation. There are a few heavy metal artists I like, and he happens to be one.

Listen to what he has to say about American culture, violence, and the “god bandaid”:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxiFfYX7JYs

He holds his own with Bill O’Reilly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucnA8ElvZQA&feature=related

And if you haven’t seen it yet—-his appearance in “Bowling for Columbine.” (the shooters at Columbine, just for the record, did not listen to Manson’s music)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90xJVOUuV-I&feature=related

And I always assumed the eye was a contact. How can someone still see out of a bleached eye?

btw, if you haven’t noticed, he’s also my avatar!  cool smile

Signature 

Posted: 29 June 2008 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-08

btw, if you haven’t noticed, he’s also my avatar!

Yah, I noticed… it’s one of the more palatable of his poser shots. Please don’t confuse or mistake my distaste for MM with a distaste for you. ( I can’t even stand saying his name, it’s so bloody contrived.)
You can spend your money on the fuckwitless douche bag if you want… your tastes are your tastes. I was just in a mood late last night and felt the urge to be brutally honest about my opinion.
My reaction against him is visceral and palpable. (“Oh really captain obvious?”) Maybe if I hadn’t read his autobiography years ago… He literally makes me sick.
I just have a problem with individuals who deliberately seek fame for fame’s sake, and will do anything to get it. IMO, he tries too hard… and he’s not an artist or a musician, he just knows how to “play one on TV” or in his case in print and on stage. (Although, come to think of it, when’s the last time he went on tour? Don’t answer that, I don’t give a shit.)

You want to see meaningful, controversial art? Check out David Wojnarowicz.
You want hard-hitting, existential, introspective, myth-shattering, head- pounding rock? We got the NIN, mon.

He holds his own with Bill O’Reilly

WhOOp-dee shit. He just went on O’Reilly to promote himself… shameless self-promoter that he is (was).  Just one more thing that brings on feelings of derision.
And the dumb ass did put bleach in his eye when he was younger—unless he was LYING as part of his deliberate attempt to invent his image.  He’s not smart, he’s clever… he’s a pseudo-intellectual rab… trust me.

kiss

Signature 

“Proving the efficacy of a methodology without defining the word ‘efficacy’ can come back to bite you in the assertion.”—Salt Creek

Posted: 30 June 2008 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-26
isocratic infidel - 30 June 2008 02:19 AM

WhOOp-dee shit. He just went on O’Reilly to promote himself

Nope. Here’s what he told O’Reilly:

“I respect you for challenging me, and that’s why I came on this show.”

He also said he wants people to question things and his job as an artist is to push people’s buttons.

Looks like he’s certainly succeeded with you.  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 03 July 2008 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-08

rab: “He also said he wants people to question things and his job as an artist is to push people’s buttons.”

The only thing he makes me question is his character, motives and intentions. The “job” of an actual artist is to stimulate thinking, not merely “push [their] buttons.” Individuals who do or say things simply to push their buttons are assholes not artists.

Again, if you want controversial and thought-provoking art, check out David Wojnarowicz.

“Looks like he’s certainly succeeded with you.”

cool hmm Don’t count on that.
I’m more flabbergasted by the fact that you, an intelligent and Jung-admiring woman such as yourself doesn’t see through his gimmicky, poser shenanigans.

A t-shirt worn by Mike Dirnt of GreeDay comes to mind: “No art for art’s sake.”

Signature 

Posted: 03 July 2008 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-26
isocratic infidel - 03 July 2008 06:01 PM

The “job” of an actual artist is to stimulate thinking, not merely “push [their] buttons.”

OK, from the O’Reilly interview again:

“I try to take everyone’s common morals; ideals, flip them around and make people look at them differently and question them so that you’re not always taking things for granted.”

I admire that in an artist. In fact, I think Carl Jung did the same thing with his work.  wink

Signature 

Posted: 03 July 2008 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-26
isocratic infidel - 03 July 2008 06:01 PM

Again, if you want controversial and thought-provoking art, check out David Wojnarowicz.

Very Impressive

I’ve seen that in dreams.

Signature 

Posted: 23 August 2008 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-26

I have to share the story of this great bargain. Went shopping last night and got a CD of Manson’s The Golden Age of Grotesque from Bull Moose Music for only $6.25! It’s used and skips in a couple of spots, but oh well. What a bargain for me!

one of my favs!

Signature 

Posted: 24 August 2008 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-08

Hey rab, I know you’ve seen this probably a gazillion times, but in honor of your favorite poser tongue wink one of my favorite musical artists and your killer bargain: I proffer this free gift in the form of the link:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Starfuckers+inc.+by+NIN&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

kiss

Signature 

Posted: 24 August 2008 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-26

I had not seen THAT one!

grin What a treat for me!

Signature 

1 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed