8 of 8
something may be intervening
Posted: 13 November 2008 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  949
Joined  2007-10-08

LOL hahahahhahahahahahaha! That’s one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen Salty. (gee, maybe I better get out more often… wearing pancakes on my head of course.)

ImmediateS, No one ever said there isn’t a lot we don’t know about the universe… or even possible parallel universes. Get over your “electro pulse” already… everyone experiences the sensation you’ve described. I don’t think it’s top priority on scientists’ lists to study said phenomenon. Common sense can pretty much do the trick.
Again: ask yourself with “honest practicality,” which is more likely: that your dead grandmother; an alien; a subatomic invisible E.L.F.; or an undetectable, subconscious/emotionally-based internal stimuli; a virus or a bacteria; or a psychic parasite, caused said sensation?

Now where’s the syrup?

[ Edited: 13 November 2008 11:16 PM by isocratic infidel]
 Signature 

“Proving the efficacy of a methodology without defining the word ‘efficacy’ can come back to bite you in the assertion.”—Salt Creek

Posted: 14 November 2008 03:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3208
Joined  2007-04-26
Immediate Suppression - 13 November 2008 08:11 PM

Like I said on another thread, sometimes scientists need to throw some mud on the wall, just to see what sticks.

No, one needs to analyze the mud for sticky qualities before throwing it, and it may be that none of the mud is sticky at all. Otherwise, one could be throwing mud for years without results. That’s what I mean by separating good ideas from bad.  To carry your analogy further, with many unexplained events we don’t even know if there is phenomenon called stickiness and we don’t know if there is a wall.

And there is evidence of alternative possibilities, the electro pulse I have experienced.

That assumes that the phenomenon cannot be explained by biological and neurological causes. Even if it cannot, we have no basis for any speculation about its cause. The “electro-spiritual pulse” you describe sounds like Christian “revelation” disguised as generic spirituality, although that may be not be your intention.

It is an intentionally vague description, out of honest practicality, not convenience.

What practical purpose does it serve? The only one I can imagine is to exempt any such descriptions from scrutiny.

Look, there is a lot we don’t know about the universe.  Can’t all of us agree on that?

In general. A better way to describe it is that there are many things in the universe for which we don’t have explanations. True respect for that gap in knowledge would require no speculation without evidence.

Posted: 14 November 2008 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23
Salt Creek - 13 November 2008 08:42 PM

In the interest of observational accuracy, that looks like two pancakes to me.

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 14 November 2008 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
M is for Malapert - 14 November 2008 03:41 PM
Salt Creek - 13 November 2008 08:42 PM

In the interest of observational accuracy, that looks like two pancakes to me.

Nah, I think it’s a reversible pancake, sort of like my now-legendary Peruvian chullu.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 19 November 2008 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  224
Joined  2008-10-19

Immediate Suppression response’s in bold

Carstonio - 14 November 2008 08:53 AM

Like I said on another thread, sometimes scientists need to throw some mud on the wall, just to see what sticks.

No, one needs to analyze the mud for sticky qualities before throwing it, and it may be that none of the mud is sticky at all. Otherwise, one could be throwing mud for years without results. That’s what I mean by separating good ideas from bad.  To carry your analogy further, with many unexplained events we don’t even know if there is phenomenon called stickiness and we don’t know if there is a wall.
I think my mud might have a little stickiness to it, but I realize the chance is very, very, slim

And there is evidence of alternative possibilities, the electro pulse I have experienced.

That assumes that the phenomenon cannot be explained by biological and neurological causes. Even if it cannot, we have no basis for any speculation about its cause. The “electro-spiritual pulse” you describe sounds like Christian “revelation” disguised as generic spirituality, although that may be not be your intention.
I re-read some of my post’s and it doesn’t sound very clear, but I am certainly not trying to be religious.  So I will not continue to talk about it or attempt to describe it anymore. 

It is an intentionally vague description, out of honest practicality, not convenience.

What practical purpose does it serve? The only one I can imagine is to exempt any such descriptions from scrutiny.
Honesty.

Look, there is a lot we don’t know about the universe.  Can’t all of us agree on that?

In general. A better way to describe it is that there are many things in the universe for which we don’t have explanations. True respect for that gap in knowledge would require no speculation without evidence.

So I’m not being respectful of the gap, huh?  Neither was Einstein.

Signature 

Please call me Immediate

Posted: 19 November 2008 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23
Jefe - 19 November 2008 10:05 PM

With all due respect, you’re no Einstein.

Not without a theory that is backed up by significant evidence anyway.

Interesting (to me) is that Heisenberg disagreed with Einstein.  (That theory precedes or is independent of observations / evidence / data.)  In fact, Einstein developed his theory of general relativity because of observations, even though he later called this method “nonsense”.

I’ve read examples of people taking this for Einstein’s “realist” vs. Heisenberg’s “idealist” approaches, which boils down to Einstein’s statement that “I like to think that the moon is still there even when I’m not looking at it.”  In reality, Heisenberg believed this as well when it comes to the Newtonian world.  As I heard him say, the sun had to exist before anyone was there to observe it, or there would be nobody in the hall to hear him lecture.  (Since there would not have been evolution.)  You had to be there, I guess, but people thought it was funny.

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 19 November 2008 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27

Let’s throw Immediate Suppression against the wall and see if his brain behaves rheologically like mud does. See: I’m twice the empiricist he is.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 20 November 2008 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 113 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

Something definitely is intervening.

I had a chill down my spine this morning while driving to work, as I listened to Loreena McKennitt’s awesomely beautiful 11 and a half minute, 14 stanza rendition of Tennyson’s ‘Lady of Shallott’

I just can’t explain it. It must be a force from out there in the universe somewhere. Some ‘woo’ from far and beyond our comprehension.

Of course all that ginseng tea and coffee I drank could be part of the explanation. grin

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

8 of 8

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed
newrelic.loglevel = "verbosedebug" newrelic.daemon.loglevel = "verbosedebug"