Copyrights and wrongs
Posted: 14 September 2008 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10

I am playing with the idea of collecting a selection of debates from this and other forums in the hope of finding a deranged publisher who might be willing to spread the wit and wisdom of the Sam Harris residents across this strange nation of ours.

Are there any copyright problems with this idea ?

It says ‘copyright Sam Harris’ on the bottom of each page.

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

Posted: 15 September 2008 12:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  949
Joined  2007-10-08

Gee wiz…  it takes forever to get anyone to respond in this forum thread doesn’t it?

Any way. I love what you’re playing with in your mind there Sander.

I think, but I don’t know for certain, that the Sam Harris copyright on the bottom applies to the design and structure of this forum, not the individual posters on the forum… that would mean Sam “owns” our posts and I don’t think he does…. but I could be wrong… M for Malapert who (rightfully) corrected me on some of my previous notions on copyright, or the brilliant Mia might know better than I on this subject than I do.

If I am correct, the only thing you would need to do Sander is ask permission from the posters—the “owners” of their ideas—if it’s okay to use their posts in the this book you have in mind.

[ Edited: 15 September 2008 12:56 AM by isocratic infidel]
 Signature 

“Proving the efficacy of a methodology without defining the word ‘efficacy’ can come back to bite you in the assertion.”—Salt Creek

Posted: 15 September 2008 05:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  663
Joined  2008-05-22

Chapter 1:
http://www.samharris.org/forum/viewthread/10320/

Chapter 2:
http://www.samharris.org/forum/viewthread/10422/

Posted: 15 September 2008 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23

Sander,

Great idea - but the sifting and organization of all this content would be a monumental task.

If, as iso suspects, you would only need the permission of the posts’ authors - you would still need to negotiate for the use of Sam Harris’ name and any quoted portions of his work.

Or you would have to edit carefully to remove any such references.

Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

Posted: 02 February 2010 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2009-04-15

I plan to translate into Polish 10 first pages of The End of Faith and publish it on the web.
The author himself published it already in English The End of Faith - Reason in Exile
The question is : Do I need his consent in order not to violate the prevailing copyright law.
And what if Sam decides to withdraw the passage of the book from his website ?
The book has not been published in Poland in polish language at all

[ Edited: 02 February 2010 11:13 PM by Non-believer]
 Signature 

When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you - Friedrich Nietzsche

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed