I am an atheist and I have another question
Posted: 03 October 2008 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

Stop laughing Jefe.grin

Why do you think it is that almost 80% of the members of the National Academy of Scientists…...are Atheists?

Do you think that maybe these brilliant and enlightened people just may know more about the universe than we common folk and Hockey Moms?

Now, I must admit, it makes me wonder about that other 20% but….who was it that said that there is a sucker born every minute? PT Barnum or Mark Twain?

FWIW, from what I have read and what I have been able to understand…..I’ll go with the 80%, thank you very much.

Now, about that damned global warming issue… wink

[ Edited: 03 October 2008 07:50 PM by eudemonia]
 Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 03 October 2008 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11
McCreason - 03 October 2008 10:58 PM

Stop laughing Jefe.grin

Why do you think it is that almost 80% of the members of the National Academy of Scientists…...are Atheists?

Idiot savants. Very good at counting toothpicks.

Posted: 03 October 2008 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2821
Joined  2005-04-29
Bruce Burleson - 03 October 2008 11:52 PM
McCreason - 03 October 2008 10:58 PM

Stop laughing Jefe.grin

Idiot savants. Very good at counting toothpicks.

Bruce, your apparent disgust of autistic people is now a problem to be solved. Get the idea?

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 04 October 2008 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1891
Joined  2007-12-19

That was three questions. Champ, answer the man.

Signature 

“This is it. You are it.”

- Jos. Campbell

Posted: 13 October 2008 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2008-08-01

People who use rigorous critical thinking aren’t deceived by simple inductive fallacies? This is a great surprise, I must go now and spread the word!

Posted: 13 October 2008 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  462
Joined  2006-11-23

Not because they have one shred of evidence for God’s non-existence, that’s for sure.

It’s probably because the God they worship on Sunday seems so anthropomorphic and concerned primarily if not entirely with human beings.

The God revealed to scientists studing the natural world in is immeasurably vast and complex. In contrast, the God of the Church seems phony and downright childlike.

[ Edited: 13 October 2008 10:21 PM by Tad Trenton's Ghost]
 Signature 

...it has to put into the equation: the possibility that there is no God and nothing works for the best. I don’t necessarily subscribe to that view, but I don’t know what I do subscribe to. Why do I have to have a world view? I mean, when I wrote Cujo, I wasn’t even old enough to be president. Maybe when I’m frty or forty-five, but I don’t now. I’m just trying on all these hats.
-Stephen King

Posted: 13 October 2008 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17
Nod - 13 October 2008 06:29 PM

People who use rigorous critical thinking aren’t deceived by simple inductive fallacies? This is a great surprise, I must go now and spread the word!

Actually, the evidence from many experiments in psychology is that they are.

Posted: 13 October 2008 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1183
Joined  2007-08-07

Come on people.  Everyone knows it’s because they hate god and love sin and think they are gods themselves.

I thought this was known by now.

Signature 

Faith-free since 1985

Posted: 14 October 2008 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1538
Joined  2006-12-04

Do you think that maybe these brilliant and enlightened people just may know more about the universe than we common folk and Hockey Moms?

I think you’re on to something. But I also think that perhaps a high degree of objectivity allows some to see religion and all the woo it entails as the huge farce that it is.  It’s religious people themselves that conveniently provide the strongest argument against the validity of any religion.

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 14 October 2008 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24
Nod - 13 October 2008 06:29 PM

Are you trying to suggest all are equally prone to as well as subject to logical and perceptual errors?

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed