26 of 27
Saw “Religulous”—Review
Posted: 11 November 2008 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 376 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23
McCreason - 11 November 2008 05:53 PM

‘The insulters tell us more about themselves than anything else.’

Maybe, maybe not KTR. Depends on the persons involved and the circumstance.

Sometimes don’t some people deserve insults? I mean, come on.

Gore Vidal:

“Lately, X [writer] is being mysteriously attacked by peripheral literary folk as a drunken bully and general lout.  It is true that the MLA disliked him as much as he did them, but at least there are good reasons on both sides, which he spelled out in a splendid work of demolition.  The current attacks on X may simply be dismissed as ‘mere English’: unfocused malice, combined with a well-earned sense of inferiority when faced with any powerful wide-ranging mind.”

“Mere English” is what KRT and Dennis had begun to write, which is why I’ve put them on ignore.  I love that description.

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 11 November 2008 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 377 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2821
Joined  2005-04-29
Keep The Reason - 11 November 2008 04:17 PM

It sounds interesting, which is why I’m going to read it.

Well if you do read it, or skim it, I’m counting on you to abuse me with four-letter vituperation for whatever nonsense I still had rattling around in my head at the time I wrote it. (As though I’ve now completely shed all nonsense from my head.)

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 11 November 2008 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 378 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-29

M, I can’t find the post you wrote this morning about pain meds, but it was distressing to read. I live in your area as you know, and a friend/neighbor of mine who has both AIDS and diabetes recently told me that chronic pain will not be properly treated unless you go to a pain clinic. Today’s DEA defines the word “evil.”

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 11 November 2008 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 379 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

Holy shite! Religulous is playing at an art theatre here in Athens! Hopefully it’ll stick around for a little while—maybe pick up some protesters. That could be fun around here!

Got an EMT test Thorsday night though, so I’ll have to hope it runs at least through Friday ...

This theater is really cool, too. It’s called Cine’ and it’s a bar and theater combo with a pretty decent restaurant next door.

Sweet!

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 11 November 2008 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 380 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23
unknown zone - 11 November 2008 11:52 PM

M, I can’t find the post you wrote this morning about pain meds, but it was distressing to read. I live in your area as you know, and a friend/neighbor of mine who has both AIDS and diabetes recently told me that chronic pain will not be properly treated unless you go to a pain clinic. Today’s DEA defines the word “evil.”

Pain clinic or pain management doctor?

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 11 November 2008 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 381 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-29
M is for Malapert - 12 November 2008 01:49 AM
unknown zone - 11 November 2008 11:52 PM

I think he said pain clinic, but I’ll ask him next chance I get.

Signature 

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 12 November 2008 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 382 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02

Usually, these are synonymous.

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 12 November 2008 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 383 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17
Beam_Me_Up - 12 November 2008 02:00 PM

Usually, these are synonymous.

Unless it really was Palin clinic.

Posted: 12 November 2008 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 384 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2075
Joined  2007-07-20

Palin clinic and pain clinic both deal in pain, the Palin causes and the pain clinic tries to reduce.

Dennis

Signature 

Truth, especially “moral truth,” is that elusive human creation whose exclusive apprehension is claimed by many, who then sanctimoniously condemn anyone else who does not agree with their particular apprehension, while denying that any question can be posed about their own apprehension.  I will try to avoid that tendency.  DEC

Posted: 12 November 2008 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 385 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

Palin belongs in a clinic under clinical evaluation.

It greatly pains me to listen to Palin.

If she ever becomes President I am moving up to Canada to eat saurkraut with Jefe and his wife.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 12 November 2008 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 386 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20

Oh, good, then she’ll be even closer to you!

Dennis

Signature 

Truth, especially “moral truth,” is that elusive human creation whose exclusive apprehension is claimed by many, who then sanctimoniously condemn anyone else who does not agree with their particular apprehension, while denying that any question can be posed about their own apprehension.  I will try to avoid that tendency.  DEC

Posted: 12 November 2008 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 387 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

Not sure where Jefe actually lives but I was hoping Nova Scotia. grin However, I am sure we can see Sarah’s mansion from there.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 12 November 2008 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 388 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20
Dennis Campbell - 12 November 2008 05:05 PM

Palin clinic and pain clinic both deal in pain, the Palin causes and the pain clinic tries to reduce.Dennis

Palin administers pain, but her behind is unguarded.  Check out Richard McGuire’s cover for The New Yorker Magazine, October 27, 2008.  (some glitch has prevented me from posting the Internet address but you can Google and find it).

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 12 November 2008 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 389 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02
McCreason - 12 November 2008 06:14 PM

Not sure where Jefe actually lives but…

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 12 November 2008 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 390 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20

Very nice picture.

Dennis

Signature 

26 of 27

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed