California Owes Kentucky An Apology
Posted: 30 November 2008 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1221
Joined  2008-07-20

Also from Raw Story, today:

http://rawstory.com/rawreplay/?p=2518

Priest pushes Obama supporters to confession
By Andrew McLemore A California pastor told his parishioners to attend confessional if they had voted for President-elect Barack Obama because of his stance on abortion, the McClatchy Tribune reported.

The Rev. Joseph Illo, pastor of St. Joseph Catholic Church in Modesto, Calif., said voting for a pro-choice candidate amounted to a punishable sin.

“If you are one of the 54 percent of Catholics who voted for a pro-abortion candidate, you were clear on his position and you knew the gravity of the question, I urge you to go to confession before receiving communion. Don’t risk losing your state of grace by receiving sacrilegiously,” Illo wrote in a letter dated Nov. 21.

Illo sent the letter to more than 15,000 members of his parish, one of 34 parishes in the Stockton diocese.

Illo also delivered this message in a homily, the Modesto Bee reported.

[…]

Many religious leaders warned voters against Obama during the campaign because of his stance on abortion. Earlier this month, U.S. Roman Catholic bishops cautioned Obama against enacting an “evil law” that would deregulate the “abortion industry”, saying it would alienate millions of Americans and sow disunity, Agence France Presse reported.

Signature 

“I am one of the few people I know who has argued in print that torture may be an ethical necessity in our war on terror.”  Sam Harris October 17, 2005

Posted: 01 December 2008 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

I hope the Catholic Brass are stupid enough for this to gain momentum. Many parishioners in the US will tell the church to fuck off, and probably a number of them will leave (though I think they’re more likely to go “rogue” than to actually leave). Religious rifts that develop out of resistance to dogmatism are good though, regardless.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 01 December 2008 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  949
Joined  2007-10-08

from the article: saying it would alienate millions of Americans and sow disunity

Oh my oh my, the raw irony… the catholic church, the largest proponent of monotheism with their triple-headed, guilt-giving god monster threatening alienation and disunity amongst the masses. One has to wonder if father Illo (why does he go by reverend if he’s catholic?) is calling for confessions so he can compile a list of “sinners” for future reference…

I do hope the congregates see through this twaddle.

Signature 

“Proving the efficacy of a methodology without defining the word ‘efficacy’ can come back to bite you in the assertion.”—Salt Creek

Posted: 01 December 2008 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02

It seems that voting for Obama is yet one more sin I am guilty of. My family will never be able to buy me out of Purgatory.

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 01 December 2008 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1221
Joined  2008-07-20

I either want a tax deduction for my donations to Obama, or the Catholic Church to start paying taxes.

Signature 

“I am one of the few people I know who has argued in print that torture may be an ethical necessity in our war on terror.”  Sam Harris October 17, 2005

Posted: 01 December 2008 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26
teuchter - 01 December 2008 05:06 PM

I either want a tax deduction for my donations to Obama, or the Catholic Church to start paying taxes.

I think the first thing the Catholic church should do is return all the cash to the Jews that the nazis funneled through their church bank, from the stolen artifacts, during WWII. Then they can go about turning over all those pedophile priests they shipped to other parishes to the authorities.

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted: 01 December 2008 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23
rab - 01 December 2008 09:40 PM

Then they can go about turning over all those pedophile priests they shipped to other parishes to the authorities.

...or to the parents…

Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed