Women’s rights and interracial relations.
Posted: 26 December 2008 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  110
Joined  2007-10-05

Reading through the Torah is always a disgusting lesson in human depravity. I always have a mixed feeling of mild amusement and nausea when people try to defend the “moral code” and the “loving god” of the Torah. Uhhhh…suuurrrre…that is rich. The few short passages I read this morning resulted in what is usually the case in the Torah. The passages before and after the problematic verses are just as demented. Here is a small example.

Harlots to be burned:

Old Testament:

Leviticus 21:9 And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire.

Torah:

Vayikra 21:9 And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the harlot, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire.

Interracial couples to be executed and 24,000 people were killed by god (Yahweh) because of the marriage. More would have died but the death of the couple and the 24,000 appeased god (Yahweh). Marrying anyone outside of the chosen race of Israel is a capital offense:

Old Testament:

Numbers 25:6 And, behold, one of the children of Israel came and brought unto his brethren a Midianitish woman in the sight of Moses, and in the sight of all the congregation of the children of Israel, who were weeping before the door of the tabernacle of the congregation. 

25:7 And when Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, saw it, he rose up from among the congregation, and took a javelin in his hand;

25:8 And he went after the man of Israel into the tent, and thrust both of them through, the man of Israel, and the woman through her belly. So the plague was stayed from the children of Israel.

25:9 And those that died in the plague were twenty and four thousand.

Torah:

Bamidbar 25: 6 And, behold, one of the children of Israel came and brought unto his brethren a Midianitish woman in the sight of Moses, and in the sight of all the congregation of the children of Israel, while they were weeping at the door of the tent of meeting.

7 And when Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, saw it, he rose up from the midst of the congregation, and took a spear in his hand.

8 And he went after the man of Israel into the chamber, and thrust both of them through, the man of Israel, and the woman through her belly. So the plague was stayed from the children of Israel.

9 And those that died by the plague were twenty and four thousand.

Because of the interracial marriage god (Yahweh) orders the genocide of the Midianites:

Old Testament:

Numbers 25:14 Now the name of the Israelite that was slain, even that was slain with the Midianitish woman, was Zimri, the son of Salu, a prince of a chief house among the Simeonites.

25:15 And the name of the Midianitish woman that was slain was Cozbi, the daughter of Zur; he was head over a people, and of a chief house in Midian. 

25:16 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

25:17 Vex the Midianites, and smite them:

25:18 For they vex you with their wiles, wherewith they have beguiled you in the matter of Peor, and in the matter of Cozbi, the daughter of a prince of Midian, their sister, which was slain in the day of the plague for Peor’s sake.

Torah:

Bamidbar 25:14 Now the name of the man of Israel that was slain, who was slain with the Midianitish woman, was Zimri, the son of Salu, a prince of a fathers’ house among the Simeonites.

15 And the name of the Midianitish woman that was slain was Cozbi, the daughter of Zur; he was head of the people of a fathers’ house in Midian.

16 And HaShem spoke unto Moses, saying:

17 ‘Harass the Midianites, and smite them;

For executing the interracial couple Phinehas and his sons (not the women of course because women are property) are blessed by god (Yahweh) with the priesthood.

Old Testament:

Numbers 25:10 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,     

25:11 Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, hath turned my wrath away from the children of Israel, while he was zealous for my sake among them, that I consumed not the children of Israel in my jealousy.

25:12 Wherefore say, Behold, I give unto him my covenant of peace: 

25:13 And he shall have it, and his seed after him, even the covenant of an everlasting priesthood; because he was zealous for his God, and made an atonement for the children of Israel.

Torah:

Bamidbar 25: 10 And HaShem spoke unto Moses, saying:

11 ‘Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, hath turned My wrath away from the children of Israel, in that he was very jealous for My sake among them, so that I consumed not the children of Israel in My jealousy.

12 Wherefore say: Behold, I give unto him My covenant of peace;

13 and it shall be unto him, and to his seed after him, the covenant of an everlasting priesthood; because he was jealous for his G-d, and made atonement for the children of Israel.’

[ Edited: 16 December 2011 03:25 AM by Nhoj Morley]
 Signature 

“Most of the Israelites did not come from outside Canaan - they emerged from within it. There was no mass Exodus from Egypt…no violent conquest of Canaan. The early Israelites were - irony of ironies - themselves originally Canaanites!

The conquest of Canaan by Joshua could not have happened [as] described in the Bible. Most of the towns…either weren’t inhabited, didn’t exist or were conquered at wildly different times.” —Finkelstein and Silberman

Posted: 04 October 2009 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-09-07

It’s utterly incorrect to look at the hebrew bible as a reference as to “the status of women in judaism”. The hebrew bible is not the “core dogma” of judaism, the core dogma of judaism is halacha. and reform judaism doesn’t even abide to it, as they denounce it.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed