2 of 2
Posted: 18 March 2009 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

LMAO! Thats a great one Byron!!!

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 19 March 2009 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2008-01-04

The events of the past few weeks/months (AIG, Lehman etc.) are starting to make me wonder whether we will make it to 2012. It seems that the economic storm that is building around the world has the potential of destabilizing some pretty unstable parts of the world. North Korea among them. Listen to National Public Radio correspondent Tom Gjelten’s talk here…

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2009/03/19/midday2/

and read this…..

The US Is Facing a Weimar Moment
by Robert Freeman

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2009/03/15

Best wishes.

bob

[ Edited: 20 March 2009 07:32 PM by bob]

Posted: 20 March 2009 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

WE have to make it a little past 2012, as I am retiring that year. Shit!

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 20 March 2009 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02
SkepticX - 18 March 2009 01:16 PM

My Palin 0 12 campaign ad suggestion:

She would likely speed up the process.

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 23 March 2009 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1585
Joined  2006-10-20

Hare-brained predictions like this are a dime a dozen, just stand in line at the supermarket and read the tabloid doomsday predictions.

By the way, are Christians really buying into this shit?  The religion of a fallen civilization before Christians discovered the New World is suddenly given credence?  WTF?  Has anyone checked with Nostradamus for the accuracy of this claim?

The idea works like this - if the world ends on 2012 then the prognosticators can say “I told you so!” but that’s a short-lived victory.  If the world doesn’t end in 2012 then everyone forgets the prognosticators were wrong and move on to the next doomsday prediction.  It’s a lose-lose proposition.

Signature 

“All extremists should be killed!” - neighbor’s bumper sticker

Posted: 27 March 2009 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  892
Joined  2007-12-04

These 2012 nutballs are just everywhere and more are crawling out of the cracks of stupidity. I recall first being subjected to this nonsense in eight grade when we were watching a documentary on the Maya civilization at school and they brought up that the Maya believed the earth would come to an end in 2012.

This girl in my class who was the mother of all supersticion ofcourse could then not shut up about this for the rest of the week, and me, being an annoying skeptic even at that age could not help myself from arguing with her.

Anyhow, since then I’ve lost count on how many people I’ve encountered who believe this nonsense and as I’ve grown older I have sort of given up arguing against them.

Instead every time somebody admits to being sure that the shit is hitting the fan in 2012, I just kindly ask them to sign a contract, handing over all of their posessions to me on January first of 2013.

Everyone always says, sure. I’d do that! Thinking I’m just daring them but they always back out when I actually hands them the pen and paper.

Still hoping to find that one person deluded enough to make me rich though!

Signature 

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.

Posted: 28 March 2009 01:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  626
Joined  2006-08-01

I’m not looking forward to the onslaught of “prophets” that will visit forums like these, with tales of lost hammers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIRb8TigJ28

Signature 

“If your original Hebrew disagrees with my original King James—- your original Hebrew is wrong.”—FSTDT

Posted: 29 March 2009 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-03-29

Why is it that humanity so often seems to have a propensity to embrace doomsday predictions?

I think people like the hype and they live in a day and age that is of some significance. That way it makes ‘us’ feel special in the history of humanity, perhaps.
I also wonder if people use it to legitimize some of their actions, choices in life?!

Anyway I’m waiting for their cognitive dissonance to kick in :D

Posted: 30 March 2009 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  233
Joined  2007-10-18

-deleted-

[ Edited: 07 March 2011 04:36 PM by J.C.]

Posted: 30 March 2009 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

Global warming is a plot to socialize the worlds governments. The earth is our domain granted to us by God to do what we want with it. When it is gone it is gone, it’s all gods will.

Sadly, many christian conservatives believe this as well.

Signature 

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 31 March 2009 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  892
Joined  2007-12-04
McCreason - 30 March 2009 06:43 PM

Global warming is a plot to socialize the worlds governments. The earth is our domain granted to us by God to do what we want with it. When it is gone it is gone, it’s all gods will.

Sadly, many christian conservatives believe this as well.

I’ve always wondered. Shouldn’t pascals wager work in reverse on these people?
“What, just what if you are bloody wrong asshole. Yeah thats right then the earth is gone and thats it.”

Signature 

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.

Posted: 01 April 2009 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02
Unbeliever - 01 April 2009 12:34 AM

I’ve always wondered. Shouldn’t pascals wager work in reverse on these people?
“What, just what if you are bloody wrong asshole. Yeah thats right then the earth is gone and thats it.”

They are short sighted due to greed. They use religion to justify their lack of concern for the ailing planet that their children will inherit. There is no need to save the Earth if the world is ending soon. Conserving energy and decreasing greenhouse gases takes time, effort, and money. I have no doubt that they would be concerned about global warming if it were profitable for them.

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 01 April 2009 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

‘I’ve always wondered. Shouldn’t pascals wager work in reverse on these people?
“What, just what if you are bloody wrong asshole. Yeah thats right then the earth is gone and thats it.”’

And thats a wonderful point Unbeliever, and one that I have thought about as well.

Just what if THEIR fookin’ wrong!!!!

We would be beyond idiocy to NOT look for clean energy sources even if their WAS A GOD!!!!

Signature 

Percy Bysshe Shelley

2 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed