Sam on "Faith Under Fire"
Posted: 22 January 2005 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2004-12-21

I watched Sam have a "discussion" with Hugh Hewitt tonight, with host Lee Strobel as the impartial modulator. In lieu of answering direct questions from Sam, Hewitt let fly with many of the typical logically bereft canards (e.g., "smart people like you have tried to do away with God but He's still here in our lives") in the Christian arsenal, but unwittingly nailed himself good when—in a moment of impassioned saber-rattling—he noted that "Jefferson was right." I understand that a lot of workaday uneducated Christians who have never researched the matter really think America's founding fathers were devout, but does Hewitt have no clue what TJ wrote about his beloved faith? Looks like we'll be going with "no."

It's got to be difficult going on a program to fight a worthy battle knowing that much of the audience is indeed "beyond conversation" and that dullards like Strobel are likely to subtly cut you off whenever it's evident your words are threatening to make an ass out of the guest of honor—even, perhaps, in the eyes of believers.

Posted: 23 January 2005 02:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2004-12-21

[quote author=“kemibe”]I watched Sam have a “discussion” with Hugh Hewitt tonight, with host Lee Strobel as the impartial modulator. In lieu of answering direct questions from Sam, Hewitt let fly with many of the typical logically bereft canards (e.g., “smart people like you have tried to do away with God but He’s still here in our lives”) in the Christian arsenal, but unwittingly nailed himself good when—in a moment of impassioned saber-rattling—he noted that “Jefferson was right.” I understand that a lot of workaday uneducated Christians who have never researched the matter really think America’s founding fathers were devout, but does Hewitt have no clue what TJ wrote about his beloved faith? Looks like we’ll be going with “no.”

It’s got to be difficult going on a program to fight a worthy battle knowing that much of the audience is indeed “beyond conversation” and that dullards like Strobel are likely to subtly cut you off whenever it’s evident your words are threatening to make an ass out of the guest of honor—even, perhaps, in the eyes of believers.

I like it when Hewitt said his Christianity does not encourage killing of non-believers, etc.  Well, Christianity (and people’s view of it) DID encourage the killing of non-believers for a few hundred years.  And Sam rightfully pointed out that the reason we DON"T see Xians killing non-believers has to do with secular dialog and reason showing us that’s not the way.

JL

Posted: 23 January 2005 02:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2004-12-21

The nature of these combative point-counterpoint programs does not provide an informative platform for the viewer. O’ Reilly and Matthews are other good example of the weak-minded dribble produced by TV.  Pehaps Sam will be invited for a more probing and informative platform. He did receive some brief publicity for the book, so it was not a total loss.

Posted: 23 January 2005 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

Can anyone tell me when/if the show will re-air, or how I can see it without giving any money to PAX or Lee Stroebel, et al?

Byron

[ Edited: 23 January 2005 12:38 PM by ]
 Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 23 January 2005 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

I received Sam’s email notice about PAX re-airing his debate with Hugh Hewitt.  I checked my local TV guide, and sure enough, “Faith Under Fire” was slated for 10pm on PAX.  For two days I waited expectantly (I had missed the first airing). 

Last night finally arrived, and I flipped on the TV at the designated time only to discover that my local PAX affiliate had apparently decided to preempt FUF, choosing instead to air a Bill Gaither special.  I can’t help but suspect subterfuge (I do, after all, live in Cobb County, GA).

Did anyone else have a similar experience?

Dave

Posted: 23 January 2005 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

I found these study questions on Lee Stroebel’s website:

LINK: http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:mxkCcQ06TJcJ:www.willowcreek.com/faithunderfire/Episode%201-2.pdf+sam+harris+hugh+hewitt&hl=en

Posted: 24 January 2005 03:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2004-12-21

Sam did an explemplary job of defending his position and remained a model of composure throughout, which can’t be said for his opponent Mr. Hewitt.  Did anyone notice how at the very end of the show Hewitt descended into personal attacks with the statement “Well Sam, you just aren’t that smart….”.  It would have been interesting if the debate had gone on longer, perhaps Mr. Hewitt would have self-destructed in a fit of emotional hysteria.

I also was appalled when Mr. Hewitt invoked Thomas Jefferson’s name in defense of the “One Nation Under God” agenda.  There were many devout men among our founding fathers, but Thomas Jefferson wasn’t one of them.  Similar references have appeared on our local editorial pages, the problem seems to be that it is assumed the references to god contained in the Declaration of Independence were placed there by Jefferson, when in fact they were added later by a stroke of Benjamin Franklin’s editorial pen.  Jefferson’s religious views were common knowledge during his lifetime.  During the contentious election of 1800 his opponents labeled him a “howling athiest” and pamphlets were distributed thoughout New England warning residents that, if elected, Jefferson had a plan to confiscate their bibles.  What irony, the one time Christians attempt to use historical evidence for their position, they get it so wrong!

‹‹ The Framework of Opposition      Faith ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed