NY Times Review of Moral Landscape
Posted: 13 October 2010 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-10-13

Although I thought the review in the NY Times http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/03/books/review/Appiah-t.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=moral landscape&st=cse was flawed, I was interested in the bit about the work of Amartya Sen and Martha Nussbuam. Can anyone address the issue of why Sam did not mention them? Their work does seem to be on topic regarding the assessment of well-being.

Posted: 19 October 2010 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-11-24

Agreed.  And also Sam should back up and clarify why aspects of the criticisms in the NY Times Moral Landscape book review were flawed.

Posted: 30 October 2010 02:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-10-14

From the article:

If the mental states of conscious beings are what matter, what’s wrong with killing someone in his sleep?

That has to be one of the stupidest objections to the book I have ever read.  It’s not worthy of a reply. And in the NYT of all papers!!!

SLD

Posted: 19 January 2014 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-01-19
ReasonBerkeley - 13 October 2010 10:59 AM

[...] I was interested in the bit about the work of Amartya Sen and Martha Nussbuam. Can anyone address the issue of why Sam did not mention them? Their work does seem to be on topic regarding the assessment of well-being.

More that on topic, it seems to be the best and greatest effort ever invested that could provide firm foundations to the concept of collective well-being - several decades of work deserving a Nobel Prize. But unfortunately it is full of negative results (impossibility theorems). Prof. Sen’s Nobel Prize lecture “The Possibility of Social Choice” gives a glimpse of his lifelong efforts in this regard:

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/economic-sciences/laureates/1998/sen-lecture.html

‹‹ Of Mice and Men      Burning of the bosom ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed