Stephen Hawking says afterlife is a fairy tale
Posted: 16 May 2011 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  802
Joined  2010-11-12

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110516/us_yblog_thelookout/stephen-hawking-says-afterlife-is-a-fairy-story

Posted: 17 May 2011 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-12
toombaru - 16 May 2011 05:16 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110516/us_yblog_thelookout/stephen-hawking-says-afterlife-is-a-fairy-story

So if everyone is destined to power-down like computers at the end of their lives, what should humans do to lend meaning to their experience?

“We should seek the greatest value of our action,” Hawking told the paper.

What the hell does that mean?
How are we to determine the value of our actions?
What a white racist values is different than what I value.
When ask the question, Stephen should have shrugged his shoulders.

Posted: 08 June 2011 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-12
Pleasanton Golf Courses - 08 June 2011 04:55 AM

Well I am a God believer. And even though I like and honor S.H. But I will not agree with him ever.

Do you believe in the God of the Old Testament or the New Testament?
Or have you created your own personal God?
All believers do you know.

Can you support your belief with facts?
Have you actually seen any evidence that supports the idea that there is a benevolent God in charge of the universe?
How do you reconcile the belief in a loving God with the suffering in the world?
Are you relying only on faith?

I know…....I’m expected to respect your beliefs…....but I don’t.
I don’t respect the belief in astrology, Scientology or those of Flat Earthers.
I don’t respect any belief that relies more on faith than facts.

“If there is an afterlife, I can only hope that God has learned from his mistakes in this one.”

“There are many reasons that I don’t believe in God…...not the least of which is his refusal to show himself.”

[ Edited: 08 June 2011 08:29 AM by toombaru]

Posted: 07 May 2012 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-05-07

I’d say “Parul” is a spam bot.

Posted: 26 July 2012 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2012-06-29

I was somewhat taken aback awhile ago when Stephen Hawking suggested that we avoid communicating with alien beings because they might prove hostile - that coming from a renowned astrophysicist.  We’ve been broadcasting radio waves since 1906 and television waves for well over half a century—much of it radiating off into space.  Might not any intelligence capable of interstellar travel and living within a century of light-years be aware of our presence by now?

The nearest star to Earth, apart from the Sun, is Proxima Centauri which is 39.9 trillion (ten to the twelfth power) kilometers, or 4.2 light-years away.  Traveling at the orbital speed of the Space Shuttle (5 miles per second—almost 30,000 kilometers per hour), it would take about 150,000 years to get there.  To achieve anything close to the speed of light, a spaceship would require approximately one third of all the energy ever produced on earth.  Even if such massive energy outputs were possible, most stars are thousands of light-years away.  Accelerating to near the speed of light would require hundreds of years (otherwise, excessive G forces would crush the astronaut.)  Upon approaching the final destination, deceleration would require another hundred or so years.  Apart from these difficulties, why would any culture capable of such prodigious feats bother?  There certainly must be untold numbers of uninhabited worlds ripe for exploitation.  And, to a society surviving long enough to have developed such technologies, concepts such as war and conquest would hopefully no longer have meaning.

Posted: 26 July 2012 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-12
Wreck of M Deare - 26 July 2012 10:26 AM

I was somewhat taken aback awhile ago when Stephen Hawking suggested that we avoid communicating with alien beings because they might prove hostile - that coming from a renowned astrophysicist.  We’ve been broadcasting radio waves since 1906 and television waves for well over half a century—much of it radiating off into space.  Might not any intelligence capable of interstellar travel and living within a century of light-years be aware of our presence by now?

The nearest star to Earth, apart from the Sun, is Proxima Centauri which is 39.9 trillion (ten to the twelfth power) kilometers, or 4.2 light-years away.  Traveling at the orbital speed of the Space Shuttle (5 miles per second—almost 30,000 kilometers per hour), it would take about 150,000 years to get there.  To achieve anything close to the speed of light, a spaceship would require approximately one third of all the energy ever produced on earth.  Even if such massive energy outputs were possible, most stars are thousands of light-years away.  Accelerating to near the speed of light would require hundreds of years (otherwise, excessive G forces would crush the astronaut.)  Upon approaching the final destination, deceleration would require another hundred or so years.  Apart from these difficulties, why would any culture capable of such prodigious feats bother?  There certainly must be untold numbers of uninhabited worlds ripe for exploitation.  And, to a society surviving long enough to have developed such technologies, concepts such as war and conquest would hopefully no longer have meaning.

Inter-steller communication is as logical as ghost research.
Even if we could find a civilization in outer space, there is a tiny window between the time sentient organisms evolve the ability to create weapons of mass destruction and the time they wipe themselves out.
I would rather see our hard earned tax dollars spent on how to make better coconut cream pie.

[ Edited: 26 July 2012 11:12 AM by toombaru]

Posted: 26 July 2012 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-12
toombaru - 26 July 2012 10:50 AM
Wreck of M Deare - 26 July 2012 10:26 AM

Even if we could find a civilization in outer space, there is a tiny window between the time sentient organisms evolve the ability to create weapons of mass destruction and the time they wipe themselves out.
I would rather see our hard earned tax dollars spent on how to make better coconut cream pie.

Fermenting in the mystical mind of man is the dream that someone out there has evolved through science, a higher, more benevolent society.
A way of living in which people are safe and free from fear and want.
It is hoped that humans will establish contact with this new knowledge and improve their life exponentially.
Whereas simple logic tells us that all biological organisms evolve in an adversarial environment.
Do you think that if we taught chimpanzees how to use hand grenades they would restrain themselves?

[ Edited: 26 July 2012 11:55 AM by toombaru]

Posted: 30 August 2012 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1585
Joined  2006-10-20

You’re a sick fuck, toombaru.  I think we’ll get along just fine.  Do you like vodka martinis with an orange twist?

Signature 

“All extremists should be killed!” - neighbor’s bumper sticker

Posted: 31 August 2012 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-12
Skipshot - 30 August 2012 10:52 AM

You’re a sick fuck, toombaru.  I think we’ll get along just fine.  Do you like vodka martinis with an orange twist?

In history, whenever totally different civilizations came together, the stronger one tried to wipe the weaker one out.
Chimps do it and humans do it.
There is no reason to believe that things would be different in species that evolved on other planets.
I hope they stay the hell away.
I imagine that will be what happens considering the distance of a light year.
:-0

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed