6 of 9
One sentence for why you are an Atheist . . .
Posted: 09 November 2011 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  286
Joined  2011-04-26

What does your brave common sense tell you the goal of evolution is?

Evolution is a word we use to describe an observable process.  Why do we have to assign a goal to it?  It’s goal is to adapt to survive.  To live, to maintain existence.

Posted: 11 November 2011 01:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2011-09-20

Mormovies
What does your brave common sense tell you the goal of evolution is?

Evolution is a word we use to describe an observable process.  Why do we have to assign a goal to it?

..If you are smart enough to identify a process, then you need to be wise enough to predict an outcome of the process because you are part of the process.
If you deny the Almighty is the goal of the process you become an obstacle of the process.
You partially understand the evolution goal:

Mormovies
“It’s goal is to adapt to survive.  To live, to maintain existence.”

But the environment and friends do not let your brain go further.
Let me help you.
Go to the basics, the Omega, the first unicellular organism in the universe 3.5 billions years ago.

Was his goal to cover an area of 1 square inch or more than that?

You will say: we do not know, just because your atheist affiliation forces you to deny it.
But it is obvious that it did more than that.

Posted: 11 November 2011 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-26

Deepak Chopra just called.  He says you’re stealing his thunder.

Posted: 13 November 2011 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-09-20

mormovies
Deepak Chopra just called.  He says you’re stealing his thunder.

Sorry mormovies I have not read Mr Chopra, sure I have follow his speeches and radio programs. I have no conscious knowledge that I have done plagiarism. However, after you mention Chopra, I look for him on youtube and found a discussion between him and Sam Harris, Chopra did not convince Harris, therefore I can teach Chopra couple things, like in this discussion Sam Harris can not confront the truth and he evade me.

Posted: 13 November 2011 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2011-11-12

What makes you think that evolution has a goal, *at all*?

As I will phrase it:

Evolution isn’t a process - it is an outcome.

The process is interaction between systems, some emergent, others decidedly less so.

Survival is a relative thing - as the saying goes, being born is a death sentence.

Our experience of life is merely a side-effect of the side-effects of the trajectory the self-replicating system of nucleic acids that we are transient vessels for has been through.

But hey: “All that I have learnt I owe to my ignorance” - which segues nicely to..

If someone asked me if I was an Atheist I might say something like:

“I’m not, I am agnostic; Thus far I find claims of absolute knowledge regarding the nature of and reason for being here the likely products of coping mechanisms - and my position probably is as well”

Signature 

“What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite.”
—Bertrand Russell, “Skeptical Essays”, 1928

Posted: 14 November 2011 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-09-20

Rambler
What makes you think that evolution has a goal, *at all*?

As I will phrase it:

Who evades more a direct question? a politician or an atheist?
Let me help you Rambler
Which is the Life’s goal?

Posted: 14 November 2011 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-11-12

I don’t know what Life’s goal is - or if it indeed has one.

The life we see around is what is left from all that has died - that doesn’t mean that the life had a ‘goal’ of staying alive - that is just how it turned out.

What is the goal of the swirling ocean currents? Or the succession of reactions in a star?

Signature 

“What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite.”

Posted: 15 November 2011 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-26

Who evades more a direct question? a politician or an atheist?

>> It is virtuous to not provide an answer to a question if one doesn’t have evidence to base an answer on.
The real question is who is quicker to provide an answer or explanation based on little or no evidence?  The religionist or politican?

Posted: 15 November 2011 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-09-20

Rambler

I don’t know what Life’s goal is - or if it indeed has one.

Let start with something simpler.

Are you able to look around you and mention something that has a goal?.

.Mormovies
It is virtuous to not provide an answer to a question if one doesn’t have evidence to base an answer on.

It is great that you understand that most atheists in this forum are very virtuous people.
Rambler in the other hand is learning something new.

Posted: 15 November 2011 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-11-12

Conclusively? No.

Are you?

Signature 

Posted: 16 November 2011 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-09-20

mormovies
  The real question is who is quicker to provide an answer or explanation based on little or no evidence?  The religionist or politican?

3.5 billions of years of evolution are little or no evidence?

Rambler
  Conclusively? No.
  Are you?

It is hard no to see it.
Do you think Sam Harris as a goal?

Posted: 16 November 2011 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2005-02-22

We’d tried your scheme four years ago.

http://www.samharris.org/forum/viewthread/8039/

Same old same old.

Signature 

Delude responsibly.

Posted: 16 November 2011 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2821
Joined  2005-04-29

Maybe this thread can get back on track. Here’s my attempt:

I’m an atheist rather than an agnostic because I was once what could be called a strong believer and gradually found myself needing to wade through a lot of internal noise in order to arrive at my current atheistic opinion—much more, I would think, than those people who never go through a process of working to accept faith. For me, it’s an easier psychological trick to be an atheist than an agnostic.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 17 November 2011 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-09-20

Nonverbal
Maybe this thread can get back on track. Here’s my attempt:

I’m an atheist rather than an agnostic because I was once what could be called a strong believer and gradually found myself needing to wade through a lot of internal noise in order to arrive at my current atheistic opinion—much more, I would think, than those people who never go through a process of working to accept faith. For me, it’s an easier psychological trick to be an atheist than an agnostic.

I invite you to stop having a microscopic view of the universe, and you will be again a strong believer.

Posted: 17 November 2011 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2821
Joined  2005-04-29
Janus 6 - 18 November 2011 01:11 AM

I invite you to stop having a microscopic view of the universe, and you will be again a strong believer.

Thanks for the invite. Would you agree, though, that at times a microscopic view is important and helpful? When is it helpful and when does it tend rather to harm? Can you specify? I can only do this rarely.

If you think I miss being a believer, please rethink. Religious faith amounts to a problem for me rather than a solution or anything resembling comfort.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

6 of 9

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed