Let's Distribute "Letter" To Christian Fundamental
Posted: 21 September 2006 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

I wonder how difficult it would be to set up a website that would distribute this book to American Christian Fundamentalists. The idea would be pretty simple, we could set up a website where users could donate money to our cause. The likely donors would be people who have read the book, and then end up at samharris.org. The work would entail the gathering of names of fundamentalists from Churches, Political Rallies, User Entry ... etc. Ultimately whoever ran the website would use the donated money to send a free book to a randomly selected Christian fundamentalist. Maybe Sam would be willing to write a cover letter. I think this could make at least a small difference (hopefully before November 2). I would be willing to help out on this effort, but my web-programming skills are sub-par. Are there others out there willing to help? Maybe from Knopf?

Posted: 21 September 2006 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20

A.T.

There’s a topic in the Politics forum titled, “For those of you not on Sam’s email list’, by hampsteadpete.  Pete’s lead is an article or talk by Sam Harris.  On September 18, Conservative Atheist posted on that discussion that he heard Rush Limbaugh reading the entire article to 20 million listeners.

I think this is the best way to get the fundamentalist Christians to read Sam’s books, that is, if Sam can give a talk, or write an article that will inspire the likes of Limbaugh, Graham, or even Bush, to read or listen to it.  Still, I like your idea.

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 21 September 2006 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1024
Joined  2006-09-13

Agreed.

I want to see Sam’s message grow and broaden out, in the manner that pop culture does. A “Dark Side of the Moon” effect, if you will. (741 weeks on the charts.) People saying, “Have you heard of Sam Harris?” In daily conversation.

I can’t really say enough. Sam isn’t joking when he says the maintenance of human civilization depends on this.

I’d like to reach a point where people still remember these little golden-laced comic books, but in metaphorical or mythological terms - not in absolutes.

I guarantee you this entire planet would benefit from us reaching such a level of global consciousness. One can just take a look at our present situation and see how amazing our lives would be if we were all functioning as people, not different moral communities.

Signature 

“All religions are valid, NONE are literal.” -Joseph Campbell

Posted: 21 September 2006 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2004-12-21

As I write this, “Letter” is #5 in books on Amazon.  I have ordered 5 more myself after receiving it today & three of them are going to local talk radio hosts, the other two to local preachers who have radio shows.  Object being to get a dialog going.

That’s what I have chosen to do with it here, I think everyone has to do what they are comfortable with & can afford.  Point is, Sam has given us what I think is an excellant tool.  A sure-fire discussion starter.  I think it would be a shame to waste it.

Signature 

http://powerlessnolonger.com

Posted: 30 September 2006 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

I will contribute$$ if we can get this writing distributed to elected reps..

Stew

Posted: 30 September 2006 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2006-09-11

Honestly, I’d like to see a condensed, free version of LTACN that you can just pass out on a whim.  Great thinking though, idea like this are where it starts.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed