2 of 2
Creationism and the lizard people
Posted: 29 May 2007 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

[quote author=“Storm”]Can you say “Pandora’s box”, or am I just being too worried?

The thing is, it’s not about reason in any way, shape or form, and the Pandora’s Box theory is based upon IF we teach creation, THEN we’re opening Pandora’s Box. But the creation/ID thing is about dogma, and nothing but creation/ID are in that particular box, so some fringe types (and just rightfully pissed off types) might well try to open Pandora’s Box (obviously for very different reasons), but since there’s no genuine reasoning involved to begin with, there’s no functional basis for that to work even though it follows logically.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 29 May 2007 02:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3208
Joined  2007-04-26

I see creationism as very similar to the other unscientific ideas that Storm mentioned and to conspiracy theories involving UFOs or chemtrails or 9/11.  They’re all attempts to deny the randomness and unpredictability of life. Our world is not controlled by some higher being or some sinister cabal. Bad things happen to good people, and often it’s because of the millions of decisions made by all of us every day, and often it’s because of no reason at all.

[quote author=“Storm”]David Icke’s reptilian race

I’ve never heard of Icke, but his concept reminds me of a story about the first “Star Trek” movie:

http://www.robsacc.nl/_forgottentrek/phase2_7.html

Harlan Ellison gave Stephen King a little more information on his story meeting with Paramount. “It involved going to the end of the known universe to slip back through time to the Pleistocene period when man first emerged,” he said. “I postulated a parallel development of reptile life that might have developed into the dominant species on Earth had not mammals prevailed. I postulated an alien intelligence from a far galaxy where the snakes had become the dominant life form, and a snake-creature who had come to Earth in the Star Trek future, had seen its ancestors wiped out, and had gone back into the far past of Earth to set up distortions in the timeflow so the reptiles could beat the humans. The Enterprise goes back to set time right, finds the snake-alien, and the human crew is confronted with the moral dilemma of whether it had the right to wipe out an entire life form just to insure its own territorial imperative in our present and future. The story, in short, spanned all of time and all of space, with a moral and ethical problem.”

Paramount executive Barry Trabulus “listened to all this and sat silently for a few minutes,” Ellison elaborated. “Then he said, ‘You know, I was reading this book by a guy named Von Daniken and he proved that the Mayan calendar was exactly like ours, so it must have come from aliens. Could you put in some Mayans?”’ The writer pointed out that there were no Mayans at the dawn of time, but the executive brushed this off, pointing out that no one would know the difference. “‘I’m to know the difference,”’ Ellison exploded. “‘It’s a dumb suggestion.’ So Trabulus got very uptight and said he liked Mayans a lot and why didn’t I do it if I wanted to write this picture. So I said, ‘I’m a writer. I don’t know what . . . you are!’ And I got up and walked out. And that was the end of my association with the Star Trek movie.”

2 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed