1 of 2
How pathetic ...
Posted: 04 October 2007 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

Nothing says “I’m a clinically insecure, pathetic excuse for an adult” more clearly than stories like this one and others like it.  I can see why the oppression of women in non-liberalized Islam is appealing to such men. Their insecurity and weakness of character and fear are validated, even lionized, and institutionalized.

How strikingly pathetic. Muslims had better hope the liberalized versions of Islam correct such drastic failings of the doctrine and make the religion more palatable to reasonably psychologically healthy people.

Byron

[ Edited: 04 October 2007 10:43 AM by SkepticX]
 Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 04 October 2007 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2007-09-24

I followed the link before reading the comment. I feel awful, but the sheer ridiculousness of this made me laugh out loud. Then I read the comment and I agree, however, the absurdity of this still makes me chuckle a little.

Signature 

“I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don’t let anybody tell you different.”  - Kurt Vonnegut

Posted: 04 October 2007 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1585
Joined  2006-10-20

If viewing a picture of a man is grounds for divorce, then perhaps reading a book by a man is, too.  Does the Koran forbid women to read it?

Signature 

“All extremists should be killed!” - neighbor’s bumper sticker

Posted: 04 October 2007 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-24
DevoteDeist - 04 October 2007 04:00 PM

I followed the link before reading the comment. I feel awful, but the sheer ridiculousness of this made me laugh out loud. Then I read the comment and I agree, however, the absurdity of this still makes me chuckle a little.

I’m not sure why you’d feel bad, it’s absolutely laughable. It’s borderline disgusting on it’s face (very disgusting when you consider the life to which these profoundly insecure men relegate women), but so pathetic and feeble it’s also laughable.

Until you realize the results.

It’s a lot like the utter vapidity displayed so often by hard core religious right wing theocrats here in the US. It can be hilarious ... then you remember they’re allowed to vote ... and almost certainly do.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 04 October 2007 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3208
Joined  2007-04-26

How about strapping the husband to a chair like Malcolm McDowell in “A Clockwork Orange,” and forcing him to watch CGI movies that depict his wife having glorious eight-way sex with men of all nations? Would that drive him certifiably insane?

Posted: 04 October 2007 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  118
Joined  2007-03-13

If viewing a picture of a man is grounds for divorce, then perhaps reading a book by a man is, too.  Does the Koran forbid women to read it?

The Quran is not written by man, it is spoken word of Allah.

Posted: 04 October 2007 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1585
Joined  2006-10-20
Talha777 - 04 October 2007 05:51 PM

That’s not an answer to the question.

Signature 

“All extremists should be killed!” - neighbor’s bumper sticker

Posted: 04 October 2007 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-24

allah spoke and a book magically appeared without any help of paper, ink or people. Not once, but billions of times.
Yep, and I’m going to become a pop tart real soon.

Signature 

“I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don’t let anybody tell you different.”  - Kurt Vonnegut

Posted: 04 October 2007 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-24
Talha777 - 04 October 2007 05:51 PM

If that were true (as if it could be) and the mentality in that divorce article is representative of Islam (and it certainly seems to be), then Allah would be a pretty pathetic, weak god.

Byron

[ Edited: 04 October 2007 04:31 PM by SkepticX]
 Signature 

Posted: 05 October 2007 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23

[ Edited: 05 October 2007 04:08 AM by mpbrockman]
 Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

Posted: 05 October 2007 04:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23

Here we find a key to undermining Islam. Empowerment of women. The mullahs aren’t scared half as much of blustery halfwit American presidents as they are of Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s potential to influence a generation of young Arabic women.

Or we can use Carstonio’s idea. That sounds highly entertaining. Perhaps (in reference to an earlier post) we can add “Oh, Dawkins!” into the audio track at appropriate moments. tongue laugh

Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

Posted: 05 October 2007 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-24

[quote kope]

in the West, women have been reduced almost to a commodity of enjoyment and fancy.

Kope - I’ve been sitting here writing and re-writing a response to this. I give up. How in the world do you come up with this stuff? I mean really, whats next? Will you be telling us that all Jew’s have tails and that you can get AIDS from a toilet seat?

Signature 

Posted: 05 October 2007 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-24
kope - 05 October 2007 07:25 PM

in the West, women have been reduced almost to a commodity of enjoyment and fancy.

... in the deeply insecure, twisted mind of Islam. Yes, clearly.

But Islam’s distorted perceptions are by no means universal or interculturally or in any other way binding. Muslim men see meat when they see women who aren’t essentially hidden from them, most Americans see people who are female (more or less).

I can’t claim we don’t have our own share of deeply perverted and clinically insecure people, but at least for the most part it’s discouraged or at least not condoned (and potentially treated), and compared to the Islamic status quo, even most American churches have a fairly healthy attitude regarding women.

I realize when men are used to being kept in line only by authority and have little or no capacity for genuine self-discipline it’s tough to imagine dealing with women “as if” they’re people when they’re actually open about being women and don’t hide their feminine attributes, but with even slight maturation it’s not hard to learn civilized behavior, even when people are free to be who they really are.

Byron

Signature 

Posted: 05 October 2007 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2006-11-24
kope - 05 October 2007 07:25 PM

It seems to me that Islam has reduced women to a commodity.  They are “given” in marriage.  Their freedom is limited to the point of imprisonment.  Their opinions are not valued.  They are used for sex and to bear children.  They are ruled by their husbands, whom they have not chosen, and by the laws created by men.  And now, if one even looks at another man on television without her husband, she is divorced (without recourse), which in Muslim society is, I’m sure, tantamount to complete disgrace.

Ludicrous.

Posted: 06 October 2007 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2006-11-24
kope - 06 October 2007 09:37 AM

I’m sure many American women would agree.

Some American men seem to treat women
like whores or like slaves.

Then they divorce them.

That’s freedom and democracy for you.

Yes, some American men do treat women badly.  But the difference is that mistreatment of women is not codified as part of the law. Can Islam claim the same?

We are not talking about the behavior of individuals.  In any society, there will be some individuals who behave badly with respect to the basic human rights of others.  We are talking about the precepts of the society and culture as a whole.  The precepts of Islam result in the subjugation of women; the precepts of Islam require the subjugation of women.

Posted: 06 October 2007 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-24
kope - 06 October 2007 09:37 AM

I’m sure many American women would agree.

Some American men seem to treat women
like whores or like slaves.

Then they divorce them.

That’s freedom and democracy for you.

Some women are treated like whores and divorced.

vs.

Some women are raped or dare to occupy the same room with a man unsupervised, and are then stoned to death for the offense.

Hmmm.

A functional mind can’t fail to recognize the absurdity of the claim that women are treated better in the Muslim sphere than in the Christian.

This is why I usually just recognize the futility of trying to have any kind of honest dialog with someone who’s acutely inflicted with the faith virus right up front and pass. They’re thoroughly unburdened with reality and the fact that their “beliefs” bear it little resemblance. When someone displays such fundamental intellectual corruption there’s just no point in attempting genuine dialog.

Byron

[ Edited: 06 October 2007 07:32 AM by SkepticX]
 Signature 

1 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed