That is my opinion as well.

Signature 

http://www.thehereticandthepreacher.com

Posted: 15 July 2008 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
Oolon Colluphid - 11 July 2008 10:37 AM

Of all the myriad activities in which a human being or group of people can partake, violence is one that requires very good reasons.

Or so we’ve been taught to believe. Mainly by people who know they do not have the chops to survive in a violent culture. Naturally, the fat part of the bell curve used to be able to put a short leash on the most violent of its members. Is this any kind of guarantee any more, especially when you are confronted by technologically-enhanced alphas?

It’s not nihilistic to recognize that the days of “gentle Jesus, meek and mild” are numbered, and that violence-prone fundies and greedy captains of organized crime stand poised to let you know how natural selection is going to go from here forward.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 15 July 2008 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-12-04

When I see the weak and reaching exegesis put forth in, the Christian toady, Lee Strobel’s (and his fellow apologist) latest work of fiction “The Case for the Real Jesus,” I realize how stretched the fiction is in general.  The stone is crumbling. As SC says, we will soon see how “Meek and Gentle” the flock really are.

Signature 

Posted: 15 July 2008 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11
Salt Creek - 15 July 2008 01:30 PM

Naturally, the fat part of the bell curve used to be able to put a short leash on the most violent of its members. Is this any kind of guarantee any more, especially when you are confronted by technologically-enhanced alphas?

There you go - you hit it right on the button. This is my “Genghis Khan” argument regarding morality. An enhanced alpha comes along and defines good and evil in his image, sweeping away all other definitions. Like the “Far Side” cartoon when the wagons were circled and the Indians were shooting flaming arrows at them. One of the pioneers looked at a companion and said “hey, can they do that?” The rules are whatever the rule maker says they are. We live in interesting times.

Posted: 15 July 2008 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

You may be right about GK Bruce…you may also be on the same team.  All it takes is natural phenomenon, political upheaval or possible financial ruin and people are back on the ground groveling and hoping for answers.  And if the Pat Robertson’s of the world hold sway, those of us who reject such superstitions will be blamed.

Signature 

Posted: 15 July 2008 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
LogicAndReason - 15 July 2008 01:44 PM

You may be right about GK Bruce…you may also be on the same team.  All it takes is natural phenomenon, political upheaval or possible financial ruin and people are back on the ground groveling and hoping for answers.  And if the Pat Robertson’s of the world hold sway, those of us who reject such superstitions will be blamed.

You got nothing to worry about from me, but you won’t know that until it matters. The chances of me being on PR’s team are about as high as Salt Creek getting converted.

Posted: 15 July 2008 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-27
Bruce Burleson - 15 July 2008 01:39 PM

The rules are whatever the rule maker says they are. We live in interesting times.

I doubt you ever come in contact with organized crime in your day-to-day work, Bruce, but if you did, I’m sure you would find it stimulating. You are the field of light that David Lynch uses to create contrast in his films.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 15 July 2008 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3208
Joined  2007-04-26
Bruce Burleson - 15 July 2008 01:39 PM

There you go - you hit it right on the button. This is my “Genghis Khan” argument regarding morality…The rules are whatever the rule maker says they are. We live in interesting times.

The solution is to stop treating morality as being about rules, and to simply accept that there will always be people who make up their own morality. You wouldn’t change your morality to fit Khan’s, so why would anyone else would?

Posted: 15 July 2008 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Ever notice that David Lynch’s movies are better when chemically enhanced?  There is an old bar at the edge of the Mississippi river in Natches, MS where the scene is right our of Lynch’s mind…even a “Little Person”

Signature 

Posted: 15 July 2008 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
Carstonio - 15 July 2008 02:48 PM

You wouldn’t change your morality to fit Khan’s, so why would anyone else would?

To avoid being killed.

Posted: 15 July 2008 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-27
Bruce Burleson - 15 July 2008 03:34 PM

To avoid being killed.

See, that’s your first mistake. You think you are going to found a race of superbeings if’n you don’t get yourself kilt. What a narcissist. Almost everything that survives is going to have sharper teeth than you do, on the face of the evidence. How long do you really think you can delay the inevitable? Long enough to fuck a few times? I’m down with that. But they’re going to eat your kids.

[ Edited: 15 July 2008 11:40 AM by Traces Elk]
 Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 15 July 2008 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
Salt Creek - 15 July 2008 03:37 PM
Bruce Burleson - 15 July 2008 03:34 PM

To avoid being killed.

See, that’s your first mistake. You think you are going to found a race of superbeings if’n you don’t get yourself kilt. What a narcissist. Almost everything that survives is going to have sharper teeth than you do, on the face of the evidence. How long do you really think you can delay the inevitable? Long enough to fuck a few times? I’m down with that. But they’re going to eat your kids.

You misunderstand - I’m going down a martyr (the old-fashioned kind that doesn’t kill others in the process). Carstonio asked me about why others would change their morality. Me, I’ve got a meeting with destiny - that’s why I’m coming to Abilene.

[ Edited: 15 July 2008 01:00 PM by Ecurb Noselrub]

Posted: 15 July 2008 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-27
Bruce Burleson - 15 July 2008 03:50 PM

Me, I’ve got a meeting with destiny - that’s why I’m coming to Abilene.

A Shiner Bock, a busty blonde, and Thou. Note the capital-T.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 15 July 2008 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3208
Joined  2007-04-26
Bruce Burleson - 15 July 2008 03:50 PM

You misunderstand - I’m going down a martyr (the old-fashioned kind that doesn’t kill others in the process). Carstonio asked me about why others would change their morality.

Hypothetically, why wouldn’t someone avoid martyrdom by telling the murderers what they want to hear, while remaining true in one’s heart to one’s cause?

At first I thought you were suggesting that you would be forced into Khan’s army, and that Khan would have you killed if you didn’t follow his orders to waste towns and rape the townspeople.

Posted: 15 July 2008 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
Carstonio - 15 July 2008 05:22 PM

Hypothetically, why wouldn’t someone avoid martyrdom by telling the murderers what they want to hear, while remaining true in one’s heart to one’s cause?

Martyrdom is an ancient Christian tradition, to be chosen rather than selling out, hypothetically. It is difficult to separate the Christian cause in one’s heart from one’s mouth, in case you haven’t noticed.

3 of 4

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed