Posted: 27 November 2008 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-09-25

They try to control what children are taught in three ways
1. winning local elections
2.Public funds for public schools
3.school choice

Fundamentalist sometimes gain control of local school boards by running their people in local election where they know that most people will not go to the trouble to vote and often don’t know who is running. Then they turn out their members to vote. This way they can hire and fire teachers and can choose text books.

No. 2 they try to obtain public money for privite schools. I witnessed such an attempt while living in Lansing, Michigan in the year 2,000. Under the banner of “Kids First” the referendum appeared to gaining support at first, but when people became aware that these schools could admit only the children that they wanted to, and could be used for religious indoctrination, the voters rejected it overwhelmingly.

No 3 They try to retain control through “School choice”. They argue that parents should have the right to select which schools their children attend. Sounds good doesn’t it? But the real purpose is to keep lower educated people in control of the education of children. Taxi drivers, waitresses and factory workers should not run the schools. “If the bind lead the bind, both will fall in the ditch. http://www.freewebs.com/thomascrosthwaite/

Posted: 27 November 2008 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17
thomascrosthwaite - 27 November 2008 06:19 PM

They try to control what children are taught in three ways
1. winning local elections
2.Public funds for public schools
3.school choice

Fundamentalist sometimes gain control of local school boards by running their people in local election where they know that most people will not go to the trouble to vote and often don’t know who is running. Then they turn out their members to vote. This way they can hire and fire teachers and can choose text books.

No. 2 they try to obtain public money for privite schools. I witnessed such an attempt while living in Lansing, Michigan in the year 2,000. Under the banner of “Kids First” the referendum appeared to gaining support at first, but when people became aware that these schools could admit only the children that they wanted to, and could be used for religious indoctrination, the voters rejected it overwhelmingly.

No 3 They try to retain control through “School choice”. They argue that parents should have the right to select which schools their children attend. Sounds good doesn’t it? But the real purpose is to keep lower educated people in control of the education of children. Taxi drivers, waitresses and factory workers should not run the schools. “If the bind lead the bind, both will fall in the ditch. http://www.freewebs.com/thomascrosthwaite/

Personally, I don’t have any problem with taxi drivers, waitresses, and factory workers sitting on school boards, I know some of these characters who are quite intelligent and much more open minded than some lawyers, bankers, and professors I know.  What I do have a problem with is anybody who tries to impose a particular ideological position in a public school (and don’t get me started on political correctness!).

Posted: 15 December 2008 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2008-12-09

What I don’t understand is if Fundamentalists are so concerned about what their children are learning in public schools, why not start their own school?  Catholics have their own schools.  Instead of building 20 million dollar mega churches the size of a small towns, they should use that money to build a private schools and then they can teach their kids what ever the hell they want.

Signature 

Life has the meaning you give it.

Posted: 15 December 2008 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17
Stephanie - 15 December 2008 11:42 AM

What I don’t understand is if Fundamentalists are so concerned about what their children are learning in public schools, why not start their own school?  Catholics have their own schools.  Instead of building 20 million dollar mega churches the size of a small towns, they should use that money to build a private schools and then they can teach their kids what ever the hell they want.

You don’t understand Stephanie, a huge mega church with crystal lighting and sparkles all over shows how much they looooove God.  It’s sort of like the 93 Rolls Royces that devotees gave to Rajneesh.  A school to educate their kids, that’s just an extra expense that can be fobbed off on the general public.

Posted: 15 December 2008 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-02-25

...then they can teach their kids what ever the hell they want.

In good time the militants will certainly begin to fight your notion of freedom.  After all some people strongly believe the world will end due to mere religious differences.  No?

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed