Beam
Posted: 17 April 2009 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

What’s all this secession talk down there in Texas? Link from Time

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1891829,00.html?cnn=yes

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 17 April 2009 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24
Jefe - 17 April 2009 12:47 PM

“If you won’t play the way I want you to, I’ma take my ball and go home.”

The Code, the motto, the standing orders and all around modus operandi of the religious right wing.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 17 April 2009 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1044
Joined  2008-02-15

Just a bunch of sub-human miscreants who don’t understand that the government knows how to spend their money and run their lives better then they do.

Signature 

Why is there Something instead of Nothing: No reason or ever knowable reason.

Kissing Hank’s Ass
Pope Song (rated NC17).

Posted: 17 April 2009 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24
GAD - 17 April 2009 01:09 PM

Just a bunch of sub-human miscreants who don’t understand that the government knows how to spend their money and run their lives better then they do.

Best not to show too much of your hand like that (by using such an obvious straw man in this case). It just confirms what many suspect about the sincerity and intellectual integrity (and emotional maturity) of the right wing, and that means you severely damage your credibility—and rightfully so.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 17 April 2009 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-15
SkepticX - 17 April 2009 01:19 PM
GAD - 17 April 2009 01:09 PM

Best not to show too much of your hand like that (by using such an obvious straw man in this case). It just confirms what many suspect about the sincerity and intellectual integrity (and emotional maturity) of the right wing, and that means you severely damage your credibility—and rightfully so.

Byron

I have no idea what point (if any) you are trying to make?

Signature 

Kissing Hank’s Ass
Pope Song (rated NC17).

Posted: 17 April 2009 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

‘Just a bunch of sub-human miscreants who don’t understand that the government knows how to spend their money and run their lives better then they do.’

That may be a sad but very true statement GAD. Stupid people make money and sometimes a lot of it. Does not mean they know how to best spend it. The US economy proves that.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 17 April 2009 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02
McCreason - 17 April 2009 12:30 PM

What’s all this secession talk down there in Texas?

Now listen here you damned Kaly-fornie sunny beach. That ain’t nothin’ new ‘round these here parts.

When children don’t get their way, they cry that they don’t want to play any longer. Where were the protests from the scrotal dippers when W urged major bailouts for bankers who continued to have lavish conferences at expensive spas?

Edit for corrected link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Texas_(group)

[ Edited: 18 April 2009 03:18 PM by Beam]
 Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 17 April 2009 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

REMEMBER THE ALAMO YOU SUMBITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

Signature 

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 17 April 2009 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-15
McCreason - 17 April 2009 02:56 PM

‘Just a bunch of sub-human miscreants who don’t understand that the government knows how to spend their money and run their lives better then they do.’

That may be a sad but very true statement GAD. Stupid people make money and sometimes a lot of it. Does not mean they know how to best spend it. The US economy proves that.

It was in jest and a jab from the other thread…........

Signature 

Kissing Hank’s Ass
Pope Song (rated NC17).

Posted: 17 April 2009 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23

This is fun. Zoom in on Texas and look at county by county results.

http://scoreboard.dailykos.com/map/

Travis, Bexar and Dallas counties (Austin, San Antonio and Dallas) all stick out. As I’ve said before - island of blue in sea of red. Then it gets bluer as you get closer to the border.

If the splitting into five states thing is true (a matter of great debate, apparently). I’m not sure how it would be done other than into one blue southern state surrounded by four red ones. I don’t think there’s enough hair goop in the world for four Rick Perrys.

I always get a kick out of Texans voting for a Republican and sending him here to fairly progressive Austin, where he (Dubya, Perry) is enormously unpopular.

Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

Posted: 17 April 2009 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  2007-12-20

When children don’t get their way, they cry that they don’t want to play any longer. Where were the protests from the scrotal dippers when W urged major bailouts for bankers who continued to have lavish conferences at expensive spas?

I don’t think all the moaning and groaning is about taxes.  I think it’s about a man of color who is now POTUS.

Signature 

“Every war is a war against children.”
Howard Zinn

Posted: 17 April 2009 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23
lindajean - 17 April 2009 09:13 PM

I don’t think all the moaning and groaning is about taxes.  I think it’s about a man of color who is now POTUS.

Really, lj? Racism? Not that it doesn’t play a factor in some places but do you think that if it was a white male taking the actions Obama is taking the moaning and groaning wouldn’t occur?

I seem to remember this same moaning and groaning circa ‘92, although it didn’t have a cutesy name then.

Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

Posted: 18 April 2009 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-20

“mpbrockman”
Really, lj? Racism? Not that it doesn’t play a factor in some places but do you think that if it was a white male taking the actions Obama is taking the moaning and groaning wouldn’t occur?

I seem to remember this same moaning and groaning circa ‘92, although it didn’t have a cutesy name then.

There is a certain undercurrent that seems edgier than when Clinton was around. Maybe it is just the times we live in with economic instability and fear of terrorism that brings out the wing-nut riff raff. But there is definitely a racial tone to some of this tea bagging.  It is hard to quantitatively measure but IMO not something to dismiss.

It’s endemic and inevitable to some degree:

The Department of Homeland Security study says the election of America’s first black president and the economic slump has helped racist groups recruit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8000763.stm

Keep in mind they’re coming off of a high where they had Bush in office for 8 long years as well.  I don’t suggest that Bush was a racist (if anything, this is probably the one nice thing in the entire world I can say about him), but Bush was obviously the candidate for the racists in 2000 and 2004.  And they got used to being in charge of American policy during his term.
I’ll just let this post from Stormfront speak for itself:

“Ladies and gentlemen, I think every WN needs to not only attend the April 15th Tea Party nearest you (I’m going to the Alamo in San Antonio) but then stay involved and help provide leadership to this movement.
“I believe that this is the white revolution we’ve been waiting for.
“It doesn’t look what we expected but this is it.
“I’ve seen probably 50 videos on TV showing previous marches and what strikes me is that the participants are all WHITE. It stands to reason . . . we’re the ones being taxed to support Affirmative Action, Welfare and other worthless social programs. It’s our tax dollars going to ACORN and supporting the 12 million illegals swarming into our neighborhoods.”

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/4/15/720180/-Teabaggers-prefer-white-tea.

http://www.bluemassgroup.com/diary/15398/are-teabaggers-racist

...”you drive a stake through the heart of the blood suckers.”  Glen Beck.

Signature 

Howard Zinn

Posted: 19 April 2009 03:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2922
Joined  2006-06-15
lindajean - 18 April 2009 09:29 AM

But there is definitely a racial tone to some of this tea bagging.  It is hard to quantitatively measure but IMO not something to dismiss.

(Andrew):  It’s measurable in all the black and brown faces you didn’t see at the teabagging rallies.

Signature 

“Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.”—Kurt Vonnegut

Posted: 19 April 2009 04:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-20

(Andrew):  It’s measurable in all the black and brown faces you didn’t see at the teabagging rallies.

Absolutely.

Signature 

Howard Zinn

‹‹ Mixed emotions      Hand of god rock wall.. ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed