;

Signature 

Christ in Egypt: The Horus-Jesus Connection

Online Videos

Posted: 26 May 2009 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

Yeah I think he was. Typical messiah or oppression-redemption myth common for that era of human history.

Nothing known about his young life, very few outside historical references to him, of course no body or burial proof, (thanks to the resurrection of convienence)

One would have to reason that the son of god, creator of the universe would not be so inconspicuous huh?

The whole story kind of makes me think of King Arthur or something. The hero worship thing.

I am wondering how many characters out of the OT are myths as well. Abraham, Moses, David, Solomon, etc., Probably more than real people.

Back in those days people had a lot of time on their hands and thus lots of time to make shit up! There was no way to fact check anything ya know. grin

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 28 May 2009 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1321
Joined  2006-04-24
McCreason - 26 May 2009 06:50 PM

Yeah I think he was. Typical messiah or oppression-redemption myth common for that era of human history.

Nothing known about his young life, very few outside historical references to him, of course no body or burial proof, (thanks to the resurrection of convienence)

One would have to reason that the son of god, creator of the universe would not be so inconspicuous huh?

The whole story kind of makes me think of King Arthur or something. The hero worship thing.

I am wondering how many characters out of the OT are myths as well. Abraham, Moses, David, Solomon, etc., Probably more than real people.

Back in those days people had a lot of time on their hands and thus lots of time to make shit up! There was no way to fact check anything ya know. grin

I tend to agree that Jesus is merely a mythological character.  Just about every aspect of his character is borrowed from an earlier mythology. 

The one question that has not been satisfactorily answered is the issue of James, the brother of the Lord.  I am not wholly convinced that “brother of the Lord” was referring to membership in some kind of a group or cult.  It sure sounds like it was referring to James being the brother of Jesus.  If James existed, if Paul existed, then a Jesus must have existed.  But this Jesus was merely a seed of the Jesus of the gospels.  Every significant thing about Jesus - his being born of a virgin, escaping the slaughter of innocents, the Eastern star, the healings, the rousing from the dead, the crucifixion, resurrection and ascension, the last supper, etc. - are all clearly borrowed from previous mythologies.

Posted: 28 May 2009 02:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2922
Joined  2006-06-15
Rami - 28 May 2009 05:20 AM

I am not wholly convinced that “brother of the Lord” was referring to membership in some kind of a group or cult.

(Andrew):  What would it take to convince you?  Paul uses the word “brother” many times in his letters to refer to people who were not siblings.  The phrase “Brothers in the Lord” (Phillipians 1:14) refers to a community of believers, the leader of which—James—may have been called “Brother of the Lord” by the members.

Rami - 28 May 2009 05:20 AM

It sure sounds like it was referring to James being the brother of Jesus.

(Andrew):  It would sound more like it if the reference was to the “brother of Jesus”, and not to the “brother of the Lord”.

Signature 

“Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.”—Kurt Vonnegut

Posted: 28 May 2009 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1044
Joined  2008-02-15

I don’t know, I’ve read some of her books and they are about 50/50 at best.

History is replete with myth being added on to normal people, so it not difficult to see that happening.

Here is a modern example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sai_Baba_of_Shirdi

Signature 

Why is there Something instead of Nothing: No reason or ever knowable reason.

Kissing Hank’s Ass
Pope Song (rated NC17).

Posted: 28 May 2009 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

I think Salt Creek is a myth although pictures have been seen.

wink

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 28 May 2009 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

Jesus is definitely a myth.

Whether or not there was an actual dude named Jesus (or whatever) who’s the source of the Jesus myth is a different question, as-is that individual’s actual nature, should he have actually existed.

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 28 May 2009 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-15
SkepticX - 28 May 2009 01:29 PM

Jesus is definitely a myth.

Whether or not there was an actual dude named Jesus (or whatever) who’s the source of the Jesus myth is a different question, as-is that individual’s actual nature, should he have actually existed.

Jesus as god incarnate is certainly myth, but Jesus the man going about preaching his version of the vision is completely plausible.

Hey I saw on TV where they found his family tomb.

Signature 

Kissing Hank’s Ass
Pope Song (rated NC17).

Posted: 28 May 2009 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

Jesus confirmation must have been made by this time on South Park. GAD?????

Signature 

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 28 May 2009 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2922
Joined  2006-06-15
GAD - 28 May 2009 01:47 PM

(Andrew):  South Park?

Signature 

“Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.”—Kurt Vonnegut

Posted: 28 May 2009 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-15
Andrew - 28 May 2009 01:55 PM
GAD - 28 May 2009 01:47 PM

(Andrew):  South Park?

LOL! No, not in this case, it was a discovery channel show. You guys didn’t see this?

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/tomb/tomb.html

Signature 

Kissing Hank’s Ass
Pope Song (rated NC17).

Posted: 28 May 2009 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

Yeah I saw it, but if it does not come from South Park or Penn Jillette I pretty much ignore it. wink

Signature 

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 30 May 2009 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2007-12-27

They are only mostly right.

But I believe everything that Teller says; He has never led me wrong.

Posted: 30 May 2009 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2007-12-21

Rami “The one question that has not been satisfactorily answered is the issue of James, the brother of the Lord.”

There’s plenty of work around giving good reason to be highly suspicious of that too:

“Josephus probably wrote of the death of a Jewish Jerusalem personage called James, and a Christian reader thought he must have meant James the “brother of the Lord” who, according to Christian tradition, led the Jerusalem church about the time in question. This reader accordingly noted in the margin: “James = the brother of Jesus, him called Christ”, and a later copyist took this as belonging to the text and incorporated it. Other interpolations are known to have originated in precisely this way. Of course, this will be a more plausible hypothesis if there are positive reasons for doubting authenticity. One such is that in Josephus’s entire work the term “the Christ”, meaning the Messiah, occurs only in two passages where mention is made of Jesus, with no attempt to explain what it means to the pagan readers to whom Josephus was appealing…”

- G.A. Wells “The Jesus Legend” (53)

GAD “I don’t know, I’ve read some of her books and they are about 50/50 at best. “

You haven’t read “Christ in Egypt: The Horus-Jesus Connection” or “Who Was Jesus? Fingerprints of The Christ” nor “Suns of God.”

GAD “Jesus as god incarnate is certainly myth, but Jesus the man going about preaching his version of the vision is completely plausible.”

Jesus the man, is plausible - there’s just no valid evidence to substantiate the claim. There were many Jesus’s but none seem to be THE biblical Jesus. I see no reason to give benefit of the doubt in this case - taking the apriori assumption of a HJ seems like another giant leap of faith to me. How about providing valid evidence first instead?

GAD “I saw on TV where they found his family tomb…discovery channel”

Are you kidding me? That has been so thoroughly debunked that it’s laughable. Even Christians are embarrassed to continue making that claim now.

[ Edited: 30 May 2009 08:34 AM by Dave31]
 Signature 

Christ in Egypt: The Horus-Jesus Connection

Online Videos

Posted: 30 May 2009 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-15
Dave31 - 30 May 2009 12:31 PM

GAD “I don’t know, I’ve read some of her books and they are about 50/50 at best. “

You haven’t read “Christ in Egypt: The Horus-Jesus Connection” or “Who Was Jesus? Fingerprints of The Christ” nor “Suns of God.”

GAD “Jesus as god incarnate is certainly myth, but Jesus the man going about preaching his version of the vision is completely plausible.”

Jesus the man, is plausible - there’s just no valid evidence to substantiate the claim. There were many Jesus’s but none seem to be THE biblical Jesus. I see no reason to give benefit of the doubt in this case - taking the apriori assumption of a HJ seems like another giant leap of faith to me. How about providing valid evidence first instead?

GAD “I saw on TV where they found his family tomb…discovery channel”

Are you kidding me? That has been so thoroughly debunked that it’s laughable. Even Christians are embarrassed to continue making that claim now.

Damn Dave31, you act like I just fucked your sister or something, she’s not your sister is she? I have not read Christ in Egypt or Who Was Jesus, but I have read The Christ Conspiracy and tried to make it through Suns of God, but just didn’t see much return on that investment. After reading through 1-/1/2 of her books I think I’ve earned the right to my opinion.

“Jesus the man, is plausible - there’s just no valid evidence to substantiate the claim.”

I did not say there was I said it was plausible, which it is.

As for Jesus’ tomb, that was a joke, duhhhh.

Signature 

Kissing Hank’s Ass
Pope Song (rated NC17).

Posted: 30 May 2009 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20

Jesus could talk to God.  Jesus healed the sick.  Jesus wanted us to be well. 

Why didn’t he teach us to wash our hands frequently?  Whey didn’t he teach us about microbes? 

A.  He didn’t know about them.

B.  He didn’t think it was important.

C.  Cleanliness was already covered by the Torah.

D.  Microbes can’t hurt us if we have faith.

E.  God didn’t send him to teach science classes.

F.  God wanted Christian missionaries to carry deadly microbes to the New World to help stamp out natives.

G.  Jesus is a myth.

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

1 of 12

‹‹ Passion of the atheist      Chew-toy alert ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed