Man says Home Depot fired him over God button
Posted: 30 October 2009 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26

This guy claims he wore the button that read “One Nation Under God, Indivisible” for a year before management said anything, until he began bringing his bible to work to read during his lunch break. But once his boss told him he couldn’t wear it, then it became his responsibility as an employee to not wear it. Simple as that. Home Depot claims it does not allow political statements to be worn by its employees, and they regard the button as making a political statement.

Trevor Keezer is now suing Home Depot for religious discrimination. If he did wear it for a year before management said anything, he may have a case. He was also allowed to wear a company approved button “United We Stand.” That could be taken as a political statement too.

I dunno. I think he may have a case. Thoughts?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2009-10-28-god-button-home-depot_N.htm

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted: 06 November 2009 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1891
Joined  2007-12-19

Interesting legal case. Hope he loses. But if he wins, does that mean Atheists can wear buttons at work too? Ex: “There is no God in which to trust.”

Signature 

“This is it. You are it.”

- Jos. Campbell

Posted: 14 November 2009 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-07-13

Sounds like the guy may have a case. I’d rather he lost but I mean those words do come straight from the Pledge of Allegiance. Maybe that doesn’t matter though, most businesses are secular, and you’re supposed to check your faith, or lack of it, at the door. Here’s something I never knew until recently, the words “under God” were only added to the Pledge of Allegiance in 1954, a relatively short time ago.

Signature 

When two men of science disagree, they do not invoke the secular arm; they wait for further evidence to decide the issue, because, as men of science, they know that neither is infallible. But when two theologians differ, since there is no criteria to which either can appeal, there is nothing for it but mutual hatred and an open or covert appeal to force.

-Bertrand Russell

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed