The moral and ethical inferiority of Sam Harris
Posted: 27 July 2011 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-07-26

I never read a word he wrote but sent him a message when I saw interest in neuroscience and Buddhism.

He responded with obvious ignorance about Buddhism and a vitriolic mean spirited comment about a scholar of hugely greater depth,  breadth,  and quality of motivation who is minimum two decades older and more experienced.  Since Sam is presenting himself as something he is not with respect to this topic,  all other topics are up for grabs…..  as is his moral and ethical quality.  In fact,  they are in the toilet.

Then I poked around the net a bit and found sam has a reputation for overstepping his limits of knowledge about topics.

He claims knowledge about Buddhism but again his nasty vitriolic comments betray someone who even if he was getting good guidance in Buddhism has gone nowhere.  I know he is not getting good guidance since I have much experience where he claims to get it,  its is poor.  Due to his clear problems,  possessed by his own negative emotional issues,  he has never gotten to first base in Buddhism and never will ....  because ....  the very first thing required before even getting training ....  is rock solid ethical foundation which he clearly lacks.

This guy is a fraud and is deeply personally impoverished.

[ Edited: 27 July 2011 06:13 PM by rocket]

Posted: 28 July 2011 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2821
Joined  2005-04-29

And you’re perfect, I suppose?

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 28 July 2011 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-07-26

Sam is for sure inferior

Kinda’ make person wonder though its clear ....  having emotional issues following a kookoo childhood then getting kicked around in morally ethically academia can be hard on a persons sanity

Posted: 28 July 2011 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2005-02-22
rocket - 28 July 2011 10:03 AM

Kinda’ make person wonder though its clear ....

I can hear Ann Coulter’s mind at work here.

Signature 

Delude responsibly.

Posted: 28 July 2011 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2011-06-13
rocket - 27 July 2011 08:43 PM

I never read a word he wrote

I see your problem right here.

Posted: 29 July 2011 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-07-26

Just don’t take Sam seriously to any degree.  He’s a colossal charlatan who is bedeviled,  who is driven,  by his emotional problems

If you don’t have a need for competent scholarship,  it may be just fine.

[ Edited: 29 July 2011 05:06 PM by rocket]

Posted: 31 July 2011 03:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-08-02

I’m sorry, Rocket, but your anger, vitriol and judgementalism shows you are a million miles from any sort of Buddhism (and I know of what I speak).  Heal your own wounded heart my child, please.
Much love
Atmop

Posted: 31 July 2011 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-07-26

Vincent
I can understand if you feel like defending sam.  It ain’t a pretty picture   .....

IN all honesty I have witnessed things in him that are appalling,  deplorable , 

He’s quite a big blow hard about any knowledge or attainment in buddhism…. in fact like most westerners he has other obstacles to overcome before he will be able to get anywhere in buddhist practice, he much more than most.

Its never hopeless though.  Nobody is hopeless.

Most websites seem to be kept by site owners to try to convince everyone the owners know more than they actually do ....  it’s a form of compensation for a sneaking suspicion mentally impoverished folks carry that they are a big fraud ....  it is tragedy and comedy at the same time since it indeed makes them look like a fraud when underneath it all they are not frauds at all .. .

....  its a big give away of this when the content sweeps over huge areas of human endeavour.

Read the post “for those of you who are not sam,  so you can understand.” ....YOu should be able to understand better then.

Posted: 31 July 2011 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2005-02-22

This is the POX NEWS narrative engine at work or at least an admirer of the machinery.

If you blow hard enough into your sails, reality will take the hint, and the wind will be along shortly. Please stand by.

Signature 

Delude responsibly.

Posted: 31 July 2011 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2821
Joined  2005-04-29
rocket - 31 July 2011 11:14 AM

He’s quite a big blow hard about any knowledge or attainment in buddhism…. in fact like most westerners he has other obstacles to overcome before he will be able to get anywhere in buddhist practice, he much more than most.

Does SH refer to himself as a Buddhist? I don’t think he does. Do you know? He claims a kinship to Buddhism, certainly, but I’ve never heard or read words from him stating that he is indeed a Buddhist.  I will quickly stand corrected if you can link me somewhere or quote from one of his published works.

So far, rocket, you’ve stated nonspecific generalizations and vague ones, at that. Elsewhere I’ve valiantly attempted to critique SH on one or two other fairly minor philosophical points, and I wrote paragraph after paragraph attempting to describe my objections. Where’s your substance, rocket? Calling someone a big blowhard without pointing to anything specific is about as blowharded as it gets, it seems to me.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 31 July 2011 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-07-29
rocket - 31 July 2011 11:14 AM

Read the post “for those of you who are not sam,  so you can understand.” ....YOu should be able to understand better then.

Read it; still don’t understand.  Also don’t know how to tell you this, but your blanket accusations would make more sense if you could back them up with actual statements, claims, etc.,

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”
(Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta, the founder of Buddhism, 563-483 B.C.)

Posted: 01 August 2011 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  800
Joined  2010-11-12
rocket - 27 July 2011 08:43 PM

I never read a word he wrote but sent him a message when I saw interest in neuroscience and Buddhism.

He responded with obvious ignorance about Buddhism and a vitriolic mean spirited comment about a scholar of hugely greater depth,  breadth,  and quality of motivation who is minimum two decades older and more experienced.  Since Sam is presenting himself as something he is not with respect to this topic,  all other topics are up for grabs…..  as is his moral and ethical quality.  In fact,  they are in the toilet.

Then I poked around the net a bit and found sam has a reputation for overstepping his limits of knowledge about topics.

He claims knowledge about Buddhism but again his nasty vitriolic comments betray someone who even if he was getting good guidance in Buddhism has gone nowhere.  I know he is not getting good guidance since I have much experience where he claims to get it,  its is poor.  Due to his clear problems,  possessed by his own negative emotional issues,  he has never gotten to first base in Buddhism and never will ....  because ....  the very first thing required before even getting training ....  is rock solid ethical foundation which he clearly lacks.

You may think that you have found the ultimate answer in the
words of the Buddha….....but you haven’t.
Buddhism is no different than other mystical thought system.
It is no more valid than Islam, Christianity, Scientology or the philosophy of Heaven’s Gate.
All speculations concerning the spiritual nature of man are equally flawed.
They are all composed entirely of magical thought.
They attempt to address the nature and destiny of the self…..and there isn’t one.

Posted: 07 August 2011 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2010-10-01

Me thinks this rocket needs some help….where is Dennis when you need him ...Ha! Ha!

Signature 

When you’re chewing on life’s gristle
Don’t grumble, give a whistle
And this’ll help things turn out for the best…
And…always look on the bright side of life…
Always look on the light side of life.
Monty Python’s Life of Brian grin

Posted: 10 May 2014 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2012-07-06

WHO CARES ABOUT BUDISM?!
WE ARE ATHEISTS HERE.
GO AWAY.

Posted: 26 August 2014 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2014-08-24

We all like to think we are smarter than we are and if you are a bit self- opinionated like me we views on all sorts of things where perhaps we lack background. I’m 72 quite well read with no formal qualifications except a few o levels and a measured IQ of 105.I dont know much algebra and I can’t speak French and my spelling not perfect. I struggled to read ‘The Blindwatchmaker’ but I enjoyed what seemed to make sense. If you asked me to explain relativity I’d stumble around and Hiesenbergs uncertainty principle has me reeling. Some think I’m not a bad old stick.

Posted: 26 August 2014 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2009-01-19
rocket - 27 July 2011 04:43 PM

He responded with obvious ignorance about Buddhism and a vitriolic mean spirited comment about a scholar of hugely greater depth,  breadth,  and quality of motivation who is minimum two decades older and more experienced.  Since Sam is presenting himself as something he is not with respect to this topic,  all other topics are up for grabs.....  as is his moral and ethical quality.  In fact,  they are in the toilet.

OK, rocket. For a start, we don’t give a shit about Sam’s knowledge of Buddhism or lack thereof. Secondly, you would do well to learn a couple of things about the English language. It’s not rocket science, you know?

‹‹ Sam, take it easy buddy      the chimp in Sam ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed