Unbiased Jury
Posted: 09 February 2005 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

Hello Atheists, Christians, agnostics who don't know why they're here.

I tried becoming a member but the board keeps regaring me as "guest". Oh well.

I heard the interview with Sam Harris on Black Op Radio a while back. It was bitter sweet really. I was glad that he is addressing issues involving the Bible itself, such as passages that sound like something coming out of a Hieronymus Bosch painting as opposed to all the lovey dovey stuff that Christians keep talking about. Too many things about Christianity have been swept under the rug and now Christians are getting a good kick in the ass for it. But at the same time I was kind of bummed out that the interview was so one-sided. But I guess I can't complain 'cause it wasn't a trial or anything.

But if it was a trial, and we were the jury, judging Christianity among other religions, we would have to be completely unbiased. No matter what we thought before, we had to be open to all sides to be sure that it was fair. The prosecution in this case would of course be Sam Harris and his book, and the defense would be anyone's guess.

I think that there is nothing more complicated than religion. Even if you bought the Bible and read the whole thing, you would need several other books to give commentary on the historical and theological aspects of it. You might even want to get a different translation to get a more rounded view. This is why I think a lot of good questions Atheists raise should be addressed. Don't think that you're the only ones who ask these questions, there are many websites that address several Biblical issues.

If there's anyone who would want to learn about religion, for whatever the reason, I suggest you go to this website:

http://www.christian-thinktank.com/

I need to warn you, this site has articles that are very long, and are reserved for only those who want to seriously take the time to learn about Christianity. But I highly recommend it because it addresses probably every serious question you could ask about the Bible itself.

I hope you all have an open mind!  raspberry

Posted: 09 February 2005 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2004-12-21

If you really wish to learn about the bible, and really have an open mind, I suggest you start with studying about the origins of the “holy book.”  You may find it an exercise in futility to study the scriptures in detail when the sources are being discredited on a regular basis.

Take genesis, for instance.  At least four authors, written in three different centuries, and based largely upon various folk myths.  According to the FC’s, it was written by moses inspired by the holy something or other.  Two accounts of the significent events, and they conflict on major points.

I’m sorry, but I dont see how anyone who isn’t deranged or on drugs could take this stuff seriously, let alone “study” it.  It makes more sense to study astrology books, or witchcraft.  What’s the difference?  Six thousand years old!  Indeed!  Get a grip!

Pete

Signature 

http://powerlessnolonger.com

Posted: 11 February 2005 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

Well Pete, think of it this way: if you wanted to convince people that religion was a waste of space, and some didn’t agree with you, you could change their mind with your knowledge of religion.

Like if some guy said “Israel never killed women and children in the Bible!” You could say, “Yes they did. Moses ordered them to murder all the Midianite males and all non-virgin females in Numbers 31.” The look on his face would be worth the research. I mean, that’s what Sam Harris is doing.

Am I suggesting that people go out and look for nasty things in the Bible for the purpose getting the upper hand on Christians? No, I’m just encouraging an open dialog.

Nobody can deny that an open and frank discussion between opposing sides of a view is a good thing in the long run. You can only hope that your info is accurate and you’re being objective. If others don’t want to hear you that’s their problem, but Sam Harris is trying to reach those who have no opinion either way, not those who agree with him automatically.

Which is why I also suggest http://religioustolerance.org/

Don’t let the flowery title fool you, the site has no opinion whatsoever (though some have called it an Atheist website in disguise). You don’t have to take it seriously; think of it as studying Greek Mythology.

‹‹ Science v Faith      Jesus <3 ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed