Best Sam Harris debate?
Posted: 12 August 2011 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2011-08-12

I’ve watched nearly every Sam Harris youtube video I can find. I was wondering what the community feels is the best debate they have seen. To clarify, by ‘best’ I do not mean the content of Sam’s delivery. I simply mean the most appropriate and esoteric opponent; perhaps one that made you question your stance on a particular topic.

My two cents: From what I have viewed, I feel as if Reza Aslan is fairly close to meeting my description. I particularly enjoyed the “Ground Zero Mosque” radio debate (however intrusive the mediator was).

P.S. I’m not sure if Sam Harris vets his own forum, but on the off chance that this is true….what do you think, Sam?

Posted: 13 August 2011 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-08-07

I am new to the Sam Harris forums and will be looking at as much of his content as possible. I am even considering using it in the our bible study course for discussion. I would like to hear more about what are considered to be the best debates Sam has had and look forward to the answers received.

Signature 

sunday school

Posted: 14 August 2011 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-08-12

Well the Reza debates are Sam vs. Islam (per se). If you want to have a great topic for your study calls you should check out Sam’s TED talk discussing The Moral Landscape. Very good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj9oB4zpHww

Posted: 05 September 2011 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-12-23

Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens vs David Wolpe and Bradley Artson on the question of the afterlife was probably the most civil of all the debates I’ve watched.  Certainly they were all intelligent and educated but Harris and Hitchens really wiped the floor with them.  I think Reza Aslan is obnoxious and while presenting a half decent argument, he always sidesteps Sam’s points.  He’ll say things like ‘as the person who has the PhD in Islamic studies in this conversation…’ , how arrogant.  I don’t think Sam has really ever met a formidable opponent for the reason that he is right on just about everything he says.  If you disagree with Sam on something, you’re probably wrong.

‹‹ the chimp in Sam      New here ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed