People who have renounced their faith because of Sam Harris books, “out thyself here if you please”
Posted: 30 August 2011 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2011-08-30

Hi all,

I’m an adherent of Sam’s ideology and do not doubt that because of him many believers have renounced their faith and turned to reason. I’m wondering if there are such people on this very forum whom have done so and what argument, if there is just one, has compelled you to do so. Just an inquiry out of curiosity.

I thank you if you “out” yourself here and congrats to you for whoever has done so.

Signature 

“Consider yourself. I want you to imagine a scene from your childhood. Pick something evocative… Something you can remember clearly, something you can see, feel, maybe even smell, as if you were really there. After all, you really were there at the time, weren’t you? How else would you remember it? But here is the bombshell: you WEREN’T there. Not a single atom that is in your body today was there when that event took place. Every bit of you has been replaced many times over… Steve Grand

Posted: 30 August 2011 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  802
Joined  2010-11-12
panthamor - 30 August 2011 04:07 PM

Hi all,

I’m an adherent of Sam’s ideology and do not doubt that because of him many believers have renounced their faith and turned to reason. I’m wondering if there are such people on this very forum whom have done so and what argument, if there is just one, has compelled you to do so. Just an inquiry out of curiosity.

I thank you if you “out” yourself here and congrats to you for whoever has done so.

Logical thought is the only way to break the spell.
The one argument that consistently stops all theological debate is trying to reconcile the suffering in the world with the presence of an omnipresent-compassionate God.
Either God can’t heal the suffering, or He won’t.
End of debate.

Posted: 31 August 2011 02:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2011-08-30

Logical thought is the only way to break the spell.
The one argument that consistently stops all theological debate is trying to reconcile the suffering in the world with the presence of an omnipresent-compassionate God.
Either God can’t heal the suffering, or He won’t.
End of debate.

Yes I’m familiar with the concept of theodicy, or God isn’t able or doesn’t care to do something about the existence of evil. So the claim that he is both omnipotent and benevolent is invalid.

Yet there are many cleric scholars who are very well known with this subject but still don’t find it enough of a compelling argument to renounce their faith.

I’m just wondering if there is anybody on this site who has renounced his/her religion and now actively fights against it and what has made them do so.

Signature 

“Consider yourself. I want you to imagine a scene from your childhood. Pick something evocative… Something you can remember clearly, something you can see, feel, maybe even smell, as if you were really there. After all, you really were there at the time, weren’t you? How else would you remember it? But here is the bombshell: you WEREN’T there. Not a single atom that is in your body today was there when that event took place. Every bit of you has been replaced many times over… Steve Grand

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed