1 of 9
One sentence for why you are an Atheist . . .
Posted: 02 September 2011 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2011-04-20

The other day someone asked me why I was an atheist. Not in a confrontational way just curiosity which I appreciate. I replied, “I believe in science and science trumps religion on every front”.

Curious what one sentence you have for that question.

[ Edited: 16 December 2011 03:21 AM by Nhoj Morley]

Posted: 02 September 2011 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-09-01

Because reason, logic, and science represent the best and most honest ways of approaching and understanding what reality is.

[ Edited: 05 September 2011 03:56 AM by achromat666]

Posted: 04 September 2011 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2922
Joined  2006-06-15

I don’t believe in the existence of gods.

Signature 

“Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.”—Kurt Vonnegut

Posted: 05 September 2011 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-09-05

Faith is blind and I am not blind.

Posted: 05 September 2011 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2011-08-28

I couldn’t bring myself to believe in the amoral murderous and anti-knowledge God that was portrayed in the Bible.

Posted: 08 September 2011 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-05-18

All God concepts that I have ever heard of are either illogical, impossible, irrelevant, some or all of the above.

Posted: 18 September 2011 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2010-10-01

I don’t have any belief in any god or anything supernatural.

Signature 

When you’re chewing on life’s gristle
Don’t grumble, give a whistle
And this’ll help things turn out for the best…
And…always look on the bright side of life…
Always look on the light side of life.
Monty Python’s Life of Brian grin

Posted: 20 September 2011 01:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2011-09-20

I was an atheist, but if you explain the universe you will understand that God exists. 

The moderators of this forum have erase my post several times because they do not want to loose their base of atheists, if you read this message I recommend you to copy it before it disappear.

Please answer the questions below

What is the life goal?

Which is the main product of evolution?
God bless you

[ Edited: 20 September 2011 01:19 AM by Janus 6]

Posted: 20 September 2011 02:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15
Janus 6 - 20 September 2011 05:16 AM

The moderators of this forum have erase my post several times because they do not want to loose their base of atheists…

(Andrew):  The mods would never delete your post for that reason.  More likely it looked like spam and we’re very sensitive to spam.

[edit PS—Or you could have been proselytizing…which is also a no-no.]

[ Edited: 20 September 2011 03:49 AM by Andrew]
 Signature 

“Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.”—Kurt Vonnegut

Posted: 20 September 2011 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2011-04-20
free2011 - 20 September 2011 08:59 AM
Janus 6 - 20 September 2011 05:16 AM

I was an atheist, but if you explain the universe you will understand that God exists. 

Please answer the questions below

What is the life goal?

Which is the main product of evolution?

1. If you mean what is the goal of life there isn’t any.  Humans feel like we have to have a purpose.  We simply are a result of evolution.  What is the life goal of a fly?

2. Life.  In all forms and of equal importance.  Whether it is a plant, fish, or human we are the products of billions of years of growth.

Posted: 20 September 2011 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-09-20

Can you see now free2011?

you can not answer a simple question :  What is the life goal?

To make Sam Harris and Andrew happy we can start with an statement :  “God do not exist” 

So in what do we believe? Let me think, we can believe on life.

Now to your question:  What is the life goal of a fly?

Think even in something smaller, a bacteria, the first living creature that exist 3.5 billion years ago, the origin of all life.

What do this bacteria have done?  Everything that you see, all kind of life, your computer, your house, your car, you.
For the future the astrophysicists say that this bacteria has a goal: to be immortal and control galaxies. 
Is up to you to be on the side of the bacteria ( life) or on the side of the atheist ( nothing = death ).

You have the power to look for the way and the truth and the life

Posted: 21 September 2011 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15
Janus 6 - 21 September 2011 02:23 AM

You have the power to look for the way and the truth and the life

(Andrew):  Very close to proselytizing here, Janus 6.  That line sounds familiar.  grin
You should stick to the OP…i.e. give us one sentence for why you are an atheist.  If you’re not an atheist—and it doesn’t sound like you are—why are you in this thread?

Signature 

Posted: 21 September 2011 04:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24
Janus 6 - 21 September 2011 02:23 AM

you can not answer a simple question :  What is the life goal?

To make Sam Harris and Andrew happy we can start with an statement :  “God do not exist” 

So in what do we believe? Let me think, we can believe on life.

You clearly mean ... if we don’t have the courage to accept what reality tells us about it, but of course you wouldn’t want to state that openly (mainly because you’d have to acknowledge it and maybe even face it).

At any rate, if you don’t have the intestinal fortitude to accept the evidence, and you also don’t have the intellectual discipline to avoid weighing your feelings over that same evidence (i.e. the humility imposed upon us by science and reason), then you may be someone who actually needs to believe in a religion (I personally think there are actually very few such people, at least in terms of the percentage). Any religion will do, really, but for less of a challenge you should pick a local favorite, and ideally, don’t do the fundamentalist schtick. Someone who really needs religion may have a hard time not going fundagelical because it provides a pretty complete (if vacuous) identity for believers, but if you’re concerned at all with what’s actually real and true, you’re going to be in a constant struggle with a high degree of cognitive dissonance in such a church.

Oh ... also, do the rest of us a favor and don’t choose a radical, genuinely militant church.

Personally I’d prefer to simply accept reality as it presents itself in evidence ... much easier once you’ve developed the basic tools, and no dissonance.

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 21 September 2011 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-09-20

( Janus 6) :  You have the power to look for the way and the truth and the life

(Andrew):  Very close to proselytizing here, Janus 6.  That line sounds familiar. 

I am talking about the truth.
Are the atheists against the truth?
I am talking about life.
Are the atheists against life?
I am talking about the way life have
Do atheists understand the way the life have?
Evolution is as a train from San Diego to New York.  You are in the train and is up to you to understand where the train is heading.  Or say ” Personally I’d prefer to simply accept reality as it presents” SkepticX
The train in San Diego was the size of a mustard seed, in New York is so large the birds come and perch in its branches

—————————————
(Andrew) If you’re not an atheist—and it doesn’t sound like you are—why are you in this thread?

To help Free2011

Posted: 21 September 2011 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15
Janus 6 - 21 September 2011 03:44 PM

( Janus 6) :  You have the power to look for the way and the truth and the life

(Andrew):  Very close to proselytizing here, Janus 6.  That line sounds familiar. 

I am talking about the truth.
Are the atheists against the truth?
I am talking about life.
Are the atheists against life?
I am talking about the way life have
Do atheists understand the way the life have?

(Andrew):  I’m talking about you preaching.  Your nonsense about the way, truth and life and stuff like mustard seeds and birds perching in branches sounds a lot like lines from the New Testament to me (verses on request). 
Let’s try this:  If you’ve got one sentence for why you are an atheist, let’s hear it.  If you don’t, you’re in the wrong thread.

Signature 

Posted: 21 September 2011 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-09-20

Andrew :  If you’ve got one sentence for why you are an atheist, let’s hear it.

I am an atheist because I don’t like to hear the whole truth, I can’t handle the truth

1 of 9

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed