The Moses Myth
Posted: 22 September 2012 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2012-07-04

As you guys know the tomb of Moses has never been found despite what the crazy bible claims.

Unlike the Jesus myth where only a small number of historians believe that it’s safe to say around half of historians believe Moses was a myth.

This goes along with the Exodus myth and how the Jews were never in Egypt.  Anyone like to please commet on the Moses myth?

Posted: 22 September 2012 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  140
Joined  2012-08-11
JesusNEVERexisted - 22 September 2012 04:47 AM

As you guys know the tomb of Moses has never been found despite what the crazy bible claims.

Unlike the Jesus myth where only a small number of historians believe that it’s safe to say around half of historians believe Moses was a myth.

This goes along with the Exodus myth and how the Jews were never in Egypt.  Anyone like to please commet on the Moses myth?

Half of historians believe Moses wasn’t a myth?  I don’t think ANY historians see Moses as a real person.

Signature 

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.
~ Hitch

I prefer the full-on embrace of reality to the spiritual masturbation that is religion.
~ S.A. Ladoucier

I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people
~ M. Teresa, Fruitcake of Calcutta

Posted: 22 September 2012 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-07-04
Ice Monkey - 22 September 2012 08:30 AM

Half of historians believe Moses wasn’t a myth?  I don’t think ANY historians see Moses as a real person.

All the better then!  You have any links to back that up?

Posted: 22 September 2012 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  800
Joined  2010-11-12
JesusNEVERexisted - 22 September 2012 08:50 AM

Better yet:
How about some links that substantiate his existence.

Posted: 22 September 2012 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-08-11

Huh?  You want links for sites that don’t contain any claim for Moses’ existence?

um…

Signature 

~ Hitch

I prefer the full-on embrace of reality to the spiritual masturbation that is religion.
~ S.A. Ladoucier

Posted: 22 September 2012 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-07-04
Ice Monkey - 22 September 2012 09:15 AM

Huh?  You want links for sites that don’t contain any claim for Moses’ existence?

um…

No, just links that show many/most/all historians don’t believe he existed as a person.

Posted: 22 September 2012 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-08-11
JesusNEVERexisted - 22 September 2012 09:19 AM
Ice Monkey - 22 September 2012 09:15 AM

um…

No, just links that show many/most/all historians don’t believe he existed as a person.

An illogical request.  I’ll pass as I await evidence that half do.

Signature 

~ Hitch

~ S.A. Ladoucier

Posted: 28 September 2013 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2012-07-10

There is no reference to Moses in the archaeological record (whereas there is for example a reference to the house of David). Ancient Historians would require a second source (preferably more) to support the stories/history in the bible or anywhere else for that matter.

There were Asiatic populations in Egypt during the New Kingdom, but they were not slaves and there is no record of any emigration of these populations out of Egypt (on the contrary Egypt had a big immigration problem particularly during the later NK). This immigration and the attempts to control it was probably a significant factor in the collapse of central authority at the end of the NK. As I have said before in another post the Exodus is a ‘birth of the nation’ story all ancient societies had them and they were all mythological. 

It would be impossible to put a % on how many historians believed one thing or another about biblical or non biblical characters.

Posted: 29 September 2013 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2013-07-26

http://www.raceandhistory.com/historicalviews/doubtingexodus.htm

Regards
DL

Posted: 30 September 2013 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-07-10
Greatest I am - 29 September 2013 07:19 PM

Regards
DL

Interesting that link start with the Moses in the Basket in the river story - This is also the birth legend of Sargon the Great from the end of the 3rd Millenium BC - Most of the myths in antiquity were recycled from earlier ones and this applies to all the biblical myths which largely come from Sumerian stories (Genesis et al).

Posted: 30 September 2013 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2013-07-26
agerweb - 30 September 2013 10:20 AM

Regards
DL

Interesting that link start with the Moses in the Basket in the river story - This is also the birth legend of Sargon the Great from the end of the 3rd Millenium BC - Most of the myths in antiquity were recycled from earlier ones and this applies to all the biblical myths which largely come from Sumerian stories (Genesis et al).

Indeed, and Egypt.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x84m5k_2007doc-zone-pagan-christ-1-of-3_news

Have you heard about the Hyksos Expulsion.
I think that it explains much of what was written into the Exodus.

Here are two links one short one long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZKA2deRlrE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxKQDYVEyPk

Regards
DL

Posted: 01 October 2013 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-07-10
Greatest I am - 30 September 2013 10:58 AM
agerweb - 30 September 2013 10:20 AM

Indeed, and Egypt.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x84m5k_2007doc-zone-pagan-christ-1-of-3_news

Have you heard about the Hyksos Expulsion.
I think that it explains much of what was written into the Exodus.

Here are two links one short one long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZKA2deRlrE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxKQDYVEyPk

Regards
DL

This is just TV tat - unfortunately there is a lot of it surrounding the history of Egypt.

1. We have no idea whether the Hyskos were a Semitic people (ie like the Assyrians) they could have been or not.
2. We don’t know whether they were a peoples or just a ruling elite.
3. The war between Upper Egypt centred at Thebes and Lower Egypt centred at Avaris for the control of Egypt went on for a generation and was not a single expulsion event, so it’s absolutely nothing like the Exodus described in the bible.
4. You can in absolute terms move the chronology of Egypt up or down but that doesn’t affect the internal structure of the king lists (which is pretty solid for the NK) and most of the biblical dates are calculated from Egyptian Kings ie if the Exodus was 400 years before King X it still gets you to King Y regardless of what chronological date you have given to King X.

Posted: 01 October 2013 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2013-07-26

From this far up the timeline, unless we find something really startling and new, I doubt that we will ever know the truth of most of what we think we know.

I see what the religious have as all myth so do not care all that much except as a thought exercise.

I think that the Naked Archeologist mad a fairly good case and his view explains things well but as I said, we may never know for sure and with religions on the wane, soon we may not care.

Regards
DL

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed