Our Penal System Is A Cult
Posted: 29 November 2012 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2009-05-12

One of these years I may start a lobby group to shut every prison down.

-

The simple truth is that they do no good, have never done any good, have never succeeded at the alleged purpose for which they were created, and should be done away with as a grotesque reminder of our Mediaeval past.

-

“Don’t let out murderers and rapists!” I can hear many of you bourgeois types saying. “If they’re not going to be in prison, what are we going to do with them?”

-

That kind of thinking is nonsense. You’re surrounded by killers and rapists and people who have been charged with something. The notion that they’ve “done their time” is spurious, erroneous nonsense, and has its roots in Judeo/Christian b.s. The punishment thing is a load of garbage and turns people into monsters while fixing nothing in terms of our social ills.

-

The thinking behind our penal system is very much like allowing the cults that are AA, NA and CA have full charge of people. I say “cults” because they a) have no basis in fact, b) are based upon religious-crackpot 12-step crap, and c) are made up of pseudo-scientific bull-crap. This is the kind of thinking that works behind the scenes in our penal system. It’s like leaving people at the mercy of The Inquisition. “Admit your guilt or we won’t let you out,” for example. This sort of poisonous, Byzantine unreason is something no one in any modern society should be subjected to.

-

What do you do with habitual killers of various stripes? Put an electronic monitoring device and a stun device on them and have a mentor with them, or two or three in extreme cases, at all times. Know where they are at all times and keep them under house arrest when they’re not working or shopping or doing something otherwise useful. But DO NOT put them in prison to associate with other people with problems. Only idiots and social bigots do that sort of thing.

-

Ah has spoken :^)

Posted: 20 December 2012 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  140
Joined  2012-08-11

Well, seeing as the US incarcerates more of its population than any other country, putting people in prison seems to be something of a sport down there.  And whomever was stupid enough to say “ya, privatizing this already-shitty system is a great idea” should be the first one locked up.

Signature 

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.
~ Hitch

I prefer the full-on embrace of reality to the spiritual masturbation that is religion.
~ S.A. Ladoucier

I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people
~ M. Teresa, Fruitcake of Calcutta

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed