1 of 2
Australian filmaker takes on Mormons.
Posted: 21 November 2006 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2006-07-07

He's mad and he's not going to take it ANY MORE!  Mormons get a bit of their own medicine in a little door-to-door atheist proselytizing.

http://www.break.com/index/door_to_door_atheists_bother_mormons.html

Posted: 21 November 2006 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2005-11-15

*currently downloading*

It occurs to me that the very first thing you should do if you open your door and find Mormons on the doorstep is to ask for their driver’s lincenses, then carefully take down their addresses before allowing then to say a word. If they object, point out that they already possess that much data about you, and that you’d like to return the visit, coming to their homes on any random morning of your choosing, to share your own philosophy.

Signature 

Welcome to Planet Earth, where Belief masquerades as Knowledge!

This way to the Unasked Questions—->
<—- This way to the Unquestioned Answers

Posted: 24 November 2006 05:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10

[quote author=“Mia”]*currently downloading*

It occurs to me that the very first thing you should do if you open your door and find Mormons on the doorstep is to ask for their driver’s lincenses, then carefully take down their addresses before allowing then to say a word. If they object, point out that they already possess that much data about you, and that you’d like to return the visit, coming to their homes on any random morning of your choosing, to share your own philosophy.

Interesting approach,

I, however, have no more patience for these robots.
Last time a Moron couple approached me I told them to go fuck themselves.
Worked quiet well.

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

Posted: 24 November 2006 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1763
Joined  2006-08-20

[quote author=“Josie”]He’s mad and he’s not going to take it ANY MORE!  Mormons get a bit of their own medicine in a little door-to-door atheist proselytizing.

http://www.break.com/index/door_to_door_atheists_bother_mormons.html

That’s amazing and hilarious of course. Josie, I am thinking of your story of the anti mormon screed that catalysed your own awareness. I don’t suppose that those kinds of efforts might actually be effective?

The video sure gives one a feel for the arrogant cheekiness involved. I can’t imagine doing anything like this myself. I don’t think that this is what Sam Harris means by conversational intolerance.

Signature 

The ants are my friends, they’re blowing in the wind, the ants are blowing in the wind.

Dog is my co-pilot

Posted: 25 November 2006 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2006-10-01

I like the fact that he was dressed up like a Mormon missionary. To be fair, some of those people may not have been Mormon, but the point was well taken. He should have asked the guy who said he was a bishop, and presumably a former missionary himself, why it was fair for them to harrass him, but not fair the other way around. 

Posted: 25 November 2006 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-11-25

Someone just told me about this site and I came in here, expressly to post that link.
Damn the luck, someone’d already beaten me to it…

As for the best technique for discouraging repeat visits by the missionaries (I have a Mormon church right down the street), try answering the naked, tucking one’s penis between the thighs, a’la “Silence of the Lambs” and reciting Buffalo Bill’s lines, “Would you f*** me?  I’d f*** me.”

Did that 3 years ago, and they’ve never been back.

Posted: 26 November 2006 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-10

[quote author=“goatboy66”]Someone just told me about this site and I came in here, expressly to post that link.
Damn the luck, someone’d already beaten me to it…

As for the best technique for discouraging repeat visits by the missionaries (I have a Mormon church right down the street), try answering the naked, tucking one’s penis between the thighs, a’la “Silence of the Lambs” and reciting Buffalo Bill’s lines, “Would you f*** me?  I’d f*** me.”

Did that 3 years ago, and they’ve never been back.

Very sutttle Goatboy :D

Welcome to the forum.

Signature 

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

Posted: 26 November 2006 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1585
Joined  2006-10-20

Twice I’ve sincerely invited them (Mormons and Jehovah’s Witnesses) in my house to learn more about the religion and expand my encyclopedic knowledge, but with the clear warning that I am an atheist, and both times they wished me a good day and turned around, never to come back.  It must have been something I said.

Signature 

“All extremists should be killed!” - neighbor’s bumper sticker

Posted: 17 December 2006 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2006-10-01

I had both JW and Mormons come, and both times I told them that I am Pagan. They thanked me for my time and left. No fuss, no problem.

Posted: 04 April 2007 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-04-03
[quote author=“PurpleKU77”] I had both JW and Mormons come, and both times I told them that I am Pagan. They thanked me for my time and left. No fuss, no problem.

I usually just come right out and say “I don’t believe in God.”  They typically get a shocked look on their face and while they stand there stunned and wondering how such a thing is possible, I close the door.

Quite entertaining for that look they get.

Posted: 04 April 2007 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2006-06-26
[quote author=“AtheistOne”][quote author=“PurpleKU77”] I had both JW and Mormons come, and both times I told them that I am Pagan. They thanked me for my time and left. No fuss, no problem.

I usually just come right out and say “I don’t believe in God.”  They typically get a shocked look on their face and while they stand there stunned and wondering how such a thing is possible, I close the door.

I think that people on this forum should try to talk to the missionaries.  Missionaries lack a mind of their own typically.  Most just need to hear the right things to get them thinking themselves out of religion.  Took me awhile to think my way out of it, but I wish people such as atheists would’ve talked to me and would’ve engaged in thoughtful questioning of what we would’ve said when I was serving as a missionary for the Mormon church.  Probably could’ve sped the process up for me to get out sooner.

Signature 

Read not to contradict nor believe, but to weigh and consider.

-Francis Bacon

Posted: 04 April 2007 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1763
Joined  2006-08-20
[quote author=“waner”][quote author=“AtheistOne”][quote author=“PurpleKU77”] I had both JW and Mormons come, and both times I told them that I am Pagan. They thanked me for my time and left. No fuss, no problem.

I think that people on this forum should try to talk to the missionaries.  Missionaries lack a mind of their own typically.  Most just need to hear the right things to get them thinking themselves out of religion.  Took me awhile to think my way out of it, but I wish people such as atheists would’ve talked to me and would’ve engaged in thoughtful questioning of what we would’ve said when I was serving as a missionary for the Mormon church.  Probably could’ve sped the process up for me to get out sooner.

Welcome Waner. I like the quote from Bacon. I would say, neither an apostle nor a guru be….

Signature 

The ants are my friends, they’re blowing in the wind, the ants are blowing in the wind.

Dog is my co-pilot

Posted: 04 April 2007 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1585
Joined  2006-10-20

[quote author=“waner”]I think that people on this forum should try to talk to the missionaries.

Instead of talking to missionaries, it would be better if the missionaries asked for other people’s view of religion first.  Was this encouraged by your church?

Signature 

“All extremists should be killed!” - neighbor’s bumper sticker

Posted: 05 April 2007 03:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-10

[quote author=“waner”]

Welcome Waner,

I have tried this so many times without any result that I just got fed up with it.
I felt like I was talking to a mental patient.
However, I will take your advice to heart and try to speak my truth quitely and calmly.
I will reserve the right though, to go back to my verbally abusive self, when the Xian in question stops being respectful.

Signature 

Posted: 05 April 2007 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Rank
Joined  2006-06-26

[quote author=“Skipshot”]
Instead of talking to missionaries, it would be better if the missionaries asked for other people’s view of religion first.  Was this encouraged by your church?

Yes and no.  Depending on where the Mormon church sends you and who is in charge of you while you’re on a mission will depend on whether it is encouraged to talk to people about their religion as opposed to the Mormon missionaries just spouting off theirs.  I went to Oklahoma and it was encouraged to talk to people about their religion as to get a basis as to what they think of god, life, religion, etc.  I really enjoyed that aspect of seeing what people thought and as a result it can assist one in developing a different train of thought as to just thinking about how your religion functions and staying within those parameters.  So I definitely agree with you, Skipshot, on having missionaries talk about other people’s religion.

Also, as being a Mormon missionary at one point in my life I feel for those guy, and girls.  They just lack the ability to think rationally.  I suffered from cognitive dissonance and as a result was keeping myself anchored in the Mormon church.  Those missionaries just need some intellectual conversations.  I figure that most people on this forum/board would definitely be worth talking to.

[quote author=“Mia”]

I wasn’t sure if Mia was kidding or not, but if Mia wasn’t kidding I feel I should add a little input of my own about the approach of Mormon missionaries.  If in fact you were kidding Mia, then please just ignore what I say below.
Taking their licenses from them and getting their ID information most likely will not assist in finding out where they live.  Instead just ask them straight up where they live.  If you come off as being quite sincere in talking to them and not try to blow them off the second you see them.  They will just trust you more than likely and if you ask them they’ll tell you.  Then there you go.  You now know where they live.  Also, you can look up in the phone book in most places under “Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Missionaries”.

Signature 

-Francis Bacon

Posted: 05 April 2007 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Rank
Joined  2006-06-26

[quote author=“Sander”]

Welcome Waner,

I have tried this so many times without any result that I just got fed up with it.
I felt like I was talking to a mental patient.
However, I will take your advice to heart and try to speak my truth quitely and calmly.
I will reserve the right though, to go back to my verbally abusive self, when the Xian in question stops being respectful.

By all means go back to being verbally abusive if those Mormon missionaries won’t even consider thinking outside their box.  But I definitely appreciate the gesture to give it another shot.  I’ve failed many times myself in talking with the missionaries.  I know what you mean when it’s like talking to a “mental patient”.  Maybe it feels that way because that what most are.  Mental.

Signature 

-Francis Bacon

1 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed