Hare Krishna
Posted: 21 January 2007 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  480
Joined  2006-12-16

Kirtan (Indian devotional chant/song) in Grants Pass - the New Age has arrived! A group came up from Ashland, and I went with a friend, my first experience of kirtan live. Not exactly a performance, not exactly a religious ceremony, I enjoyed it as an exercise in harmonizing body, speech and mind. Universal presence was invoked. However, watching the steam rise from a cup of hot tea sometimes invokes universal presence.

The New Age offers us a playground with lots of pretty things. I have cd's of kirtan. I don't know why I think Sanskrit and the Indian tonal system are beautiful, I just do. Do I think it's any more sacred than the Beatles singing 'Let It Be'? No.

The problem with most of what we label 'New Age nonsense' is that evidence for claims made is laughably thin. Evidence may link a particular herbal concoction with a particular cure. Our question is always 'How strong is the evidence?' The woman who was the lead singer of the kirtan group said something about 'changing the world' but I wasn't listening to that.

Mysticism is not about 'changing the world' or any other material advantage. The domain of mysticism is just now, awareness of presence, investigating the open foundation of unity. There is no cause and effect in the timeless realm of mind. New Age hucksters of all stripes are selling hope of material advantage. There's nothing mysterious about that.

Posted: 21 January 2007 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  775
Joined  2006-12-04

Mysticism can be fun. Reading Tarot Cards and tea leaves is an amusing pastime.

One of my favorite pieces of music is “Amazing Grace” played on the bagpipes.

I have one simple rule about mysticism that seems to work quite well.

Whenever a dollar is in danger of moving from my pocket to theirs, it is time to leave.

Posted: 21 January 2007 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17

[quote author=“Joad”]Mysticism can be fun. Reading Tarot Cards and tea leaves is an amusing pastime.

One of my favorite pieces of music is “Amazing Grace” played on the bagpipes.

I have one simple rule about mysticism that seems to work quite well.

Whenever a dollar is in danger of moving from my pocket to theirs, it is time to leave.

Actually, tarot is very useful if properly used either as an aid to intuition, or as a map (each suit giving the stages of a path in the world while the Major Arcana gives the stages of the internal path).

Posted: 16 June 2007 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10

[quote author=“burt”]
Actually, tarot is very useful if properly used either as an aid to intuition, or as a map (each suit giving the stages of a path in the world while the Major Arcana gives the stages of the internal path).

Burt,

Please oh please tell me that you are joking.

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

‹‹ ESP Test      Out of Body experience ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed