1 of 2
What a wonderful example for this country!!
Posted: 09 February 2007 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2007-01-12

I love this guy!!  What a warrior for Christ.  I am sure you guys are just thrilled about this!!  That's the example we need to have for our youth.  I am sure you all agree totally!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: 09 February 2007 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  775
Joined  2006-12-04

Isn’t it wonderful that God has time to help football players.

Too bad he has no time to help the sick.

Maybe if sick children learned to play football, God would heal them.

Posted: 09 February 2007 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2007-01-12

[quote author=“Joad”]Isn’t it wonderful that God has time to help football players.

Too bad he has no time to help the sick.

Maybe if sick children learned to play football, God would heal them.

Thats the worst use of logic I have ever heard.  First of all, how do you think He helped them?  They are just giving praise when they were blessed.  To help the sick?  So you think everyone that has ever lived, every animal, everything should still be alive?  A Sovereign God, and He is Sovereign, once again has absolutely no explaining to do. 

I know you agree with me that this is such a wonderful example of how we can teach our children to praise Jehovah!!  You should be excited for this!!

Posted: 09 February 2007 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-04

Actually, I find it amusing that the omnipotent creator of Universes has been reduced to the mascot of football players.

Posted: 10 February 2007 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

I think if a team claims they have a deity playing for them there needs to be some kind of procedure or too many players on the field kind of penalty, because while the vast majority of believers need regular affirmation to feel more secure in their beliefs (higher profile preferred), it would clearly be unfair to have what’s essentially strength and skills contest monkeyed with by a deity. I always find it odd that believers are so encouraged to hear claims of such obvious and petty impropriety on the part of their object of worship.

Very telling how the rules and standards can so seamlessly and fluidly change with some people where religion is concerned.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 10 February 2007 03:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  386
Joined  2006-04-12

It’s a horrible example.  Imagining that spirit beings of one sort or another are responsible for the things we perceive is fatalistic, irrational and rots the soul.  Life is too wonderful to have to interrupt the joy of living to attend to somebody else’s imaginary faeries.

Posted: 10 February 2007 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-12-18

Hey Jesus-blood Guy,
Your signature is off by at least a factor of 10!  There was closer to 400 million years of evolution between amphibians and primates.  At least you should strive for some precision in your whining about evolution.

Posted: 10 February 2007 04:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2007-01-12

All of you seem to think that they believe they won the game because of some deity being on their side.  You misunderstand the entire concept in your pathetic attempt at dismantling the article.  All they are doing is giving thanks for a blessing in their lives, and its a powerful and amazing example to our children, of how an African American coach, the first in history, wins the Super Bowl, and then gives all the glory to His Creator for the blessings he receives. 

And hey, Pizza Hut Park boy, you should check out Chuck Swindall’s church up there.  He’s an amazing pastor.  I am sure that you would agree, since all of you seem to be so open-minded about learning about your Creator. 

I love Tony Dungy!!!  But you guys keep fighting the “good” fight, trying to end faith totally.  It’s weird how you don’t believe in any sort of deity, but you are all disciples of Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins, mindelessly regurgitating useless tidbits from their novels.

Posted: 10 February 2007 04:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-02-10

Clearly whichever team has god on their side always wins…

Posted: 10 February 2007 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

This is one of those cases in which believers who buy it resist even scratching the surface of the paradigm in question. Those of us who have done any responsible thinking on the matter at all “don’t get it” or “miss the point.”

If you have to avoid applying any intellectual integrity to a situation in order to “get it” we skeptics probably never will. Many many believers, on the other hand, won’t have any trouble.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 10 February 2007 06:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1587
Joined  2006-10-20

So where’s the article about the prayer party the Bears had to give thanks for. . . for. . . um. . .  What were they thankful to God for?

Maybe this will help answer the question: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF—G1zmyTw

By the way, how would you feel, nbtbos, if they prayed to Allah?  I’m sure that’s the god Muhammed Ali and Kareem Abdul Jabar gave thanks to for their glorious career?

Signature 

“All extremists should be killed!” - neighbor’s bumper sticker

Posted: 10 February 2007 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2821
Joined  2005-04-29

[quote author=“SkepticX”]I think if a team claims they have a deity playing for them there needs to be some kind of procedure or too many players on the field kind of penalty, because while the vast majority of believers need regular affirmation to feel more secure in their beliefs (higher profile preferred), it would clearly be unfair to have what’s essentially strength and skills contest monkeyed with by a deity. I always find it odd that believers are so encouraged to hear claims of such obvious and petty impropriety on the part of their object of worship.

Very telling how the rules and standards can so seamlessly and fluidly change with some people where religion is concerned.

Byron

The above gets my vote for Most Relevant Post of the Month.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 10 February 2007 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-08-16

[quote author=“nothingbutthebloodofjesus”]All of you seem to think that they believe they won the game because of some deity being on their side.  You misunderstand the entire concept in your pathetic attempt at dismantling the article.  All they are doing is giving thanks for a blessing in their lives, and its a powerful and amazing example to our children, of how an African American coach, the first in history, wins the Super Bowl, and then gives all the glory to His Creator for the blessings he receives.

I remember reading a post from one former theist who used to play football for a Christian high school. He never gave his beliefs a second thought until they played another Christian high school. It was then that he started questioning how anyone could claim God’s grace when people with opposing agendas claimed the same beliefs. It’s surprising sometimes what will lead a person to rational thought.

Signature 

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire

“Rational arguments do not work on religious people, otherwise there would be no religious people.”—Dr. House

Posted: 10 February 2007 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2007-01-12

Opposing agendas?  So you think a football game dictates that?  Wow.  And to answer the question of “What if they were praying to Allah?”  Of course I would disagree with the fundamental belief system they prescribe to, but there is something moving about an entire group or sect of people coming together to give glory to someone else, not just themselves.

“They are to be pitied, those that have no greater teachers than themselves.”

—Charles Hodge

Posted: 10 February 2007 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2007-01-12

And by the way, Tony Dungy and his team pray after every single game, win or lose.  So this in no way prceludes us from saying that He gives glory to God no matter the situation.

Posted: 10 February 2007 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-04

I think understand. They were not thanking God for directly intervening in the game.

They were thanking God for not squashing us like bugs so that the game could continue.

After all, in the Christian mythology, we only exist at the whim of their deity.
We are like a fly, caught by a child. Maybe it will pull off our wings, or maybe it will set us free. I supose the fly feels gratitude if it is allowed to live. It might even say a prayer of thanks to the child.

1 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed