US Border Patrol breathes a sigh of relief
Posted: 15 March 2007 02:34 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Member
Avatar
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  707
Joined  2005-05-16

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico City is preparing to legalize abortion—the first region to do so in heavily Roman Catholic Mexico—a move the influential church has vowed to challenge. 

A bill that would allow abortions in the first three months of pregnancy is making its way through the capital city's assembly and supporters say they have well over the majority needed to pass it despite threats of protests by the Catholic Church. The measure is expected to pass within months and the first legal abortions could happen later this year.

"No church, no religion can impose its vision of the world in this city," said assembly leader Victor Hugo Cirigo, whose leftist Party of the Democratic Revolution runs City Hall and holds 34 of 66 city legislative seats.

The assembly battled with the Catholic Church in December, allowing gay civil unions to begin in Mexico City on Friday. The northern state of Coahuila followed suit and has already begun allowing such ceremonies, holding its first in January.

Special laws in Mexico City already permit abortion when a mother's life is threatened, but the rest of the country allows it only in case of rape, said Maria Luisa Sanchez, president of leading Mexican abortion rights group GIRE.

Religious leaders say they will try to block the proposed law. They threaten a constitutional challenge and a mass street protest that could become a political movement.

"If the assembly can't be the city's conscience, we will have to form our own party to represent us," said Armando Martinez, speaking for the country's Catholic Archdiocese.

Conservative President Felipe Calderon is an outspoken Catholic and his ruling National Action Party has traditionally Catholic roots, but Mexico City's local government has been run by leftists since 1997 and City Hall and the local assembly have often taken a more liberal stance toward religion.

Women seeking abortions currently have to use clandestine clinics, with the poorest relying on back-street practitioners working out of unhygienic premises, with often deadly results.

Cirigo's party expects another fight with the Catholic Church when it pushes for the legalization of euthanasia.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070314/hl_nm/mexico_abortion_dc

Profile
 
 
Posted: 16 March 2007 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Sr. Member
Avatar
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1024
Joined  2006-09-13

Good, maybe we should do that in America - oh wait, we’re the land of the “free”.

This country was founded as a Constitutional Republic - NOT A DEMOCRACY. The Founding Fathers understood that in a true Democracy 51% rule the other 49%...

Which is exactly what America has become.

Why shouldn’t women have the OPTION to have an abortion? If some religious c*nt is against it, fine - don’t have an abortion!

But if three blocks down there lives a girl who got raped, or got knocked up at 17 and doesn’t want to bring a child into the world whose odds are stacked against it - let her have the operation.

I love this country, but F*CK the tyrannical, elite bankers that have ensalved us, destroyed the dollar and killed this nation.

 Signature 

“All religions are valid, NONE are literal.” -Joseph Campbell

Profile
 
 
   
 
 
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed