2 of 2
God's Natural Law
Posted: 12 January 2005 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1229
Joined  2004-12-22

Lawrence sometimes you confuse the hell out of me.

What is the purpose of life?

To begat more life.

Posted: 12 January 2005 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2004-12-21

The minute you start saying things like “God is the ruler of Nature” you are in to bowing down and worshipping and praying and otherwise currying favor with this ruler, and whatddya know, all of a sudden we have religion, where you are calling god by a certain name and believing that he is on your side. Meanwhile other people doing the same thing and are calling god by a different name and believing that he is on their side.

That’s where the dogma begins, soon to be followed by the violence. Sorry, I’m having none of it. Call god whatever you like, but in the privacy of your own home.

Posted: 12 January 2005 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2004-12-24
[quote author=“Beth Kurtz”]The minute you start saying things like “God is the ruler of Nature” you are in to bowing down and worshipping and praying and otherwise currying favor with this ruler, and whatddya know, all of a sudden we have religion, where you are calling god by a certain name and believing that he is on your side. Meanwhile other people doing the same thing and are calling god by a different name and believing that he is on their side.

Yes this is true. I worship the life force of nature because I see the life force in me also exists in nature. The problem is, and will always be institutionalized religion.

For example, I went to a Harvest Crusade church service with my son because he needed me to. They asked for money. They are corrupt because they are institutionalized and live off the donations of human individuals in emotional distress. I see that as evil.

Ask for money and you are tainted. Live off the pain of others and you are evil. I do not know if Jesus was God and really do not think it matters.

“Do for others what you want them to do for you.

For others will treat you as you treat them.

Why worry about the small thing in the eye of a brother when your eyes can not see ?
Should you say, ‘brother, let me help you get the small thing out of your eye,’ when you have no vision ?’
Hypocrite! Remove the large object from your eyes, then you can see to help your brother.”

-Jesus Christ, from the ‘outlaw’ Bible my grandmother gave me.

Posted: 29 January 2013 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2013-01-26

I know this thread is old, but I cant help it…”“Do for others what you want them to do for you. For others will treat you as you treat them.”  Not necessarily true!

Unfortunately I didnt read much of lawrences comments. Far too long, did you quote the entire bible?

Posted: 31 January 2013 03:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2013-01-26
NewShoe - 29 January 2013 03:12 PM

I know this thread is old, but I cant help it…”“Do for others what you want them to do for you. For others will treat you as you treat them.”  Not necessarily true!

Unfortunately I didnt read much of lawrences comments. Far too long, did you quote the entire bible?

I’m not sure of the source of this quote, it is definitely not the Bible. Someone has added, “For others will treat you as you treat them.”, So, I agree, NewShoe, not necessarily true!

However, when Jesus was asked how many times we should forgive our brother, he suggested, seventy times seven, which was his way of saying, always be willing to forgive an offense.

Cheers,
enegue

[ Edited: 31 January 2013 04:02 AM by enegue]

Posted: 31 January 2013 04:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Rank
Joined  2013-01-26

Engegue,
If taken literally as many want to take the bible it should be 490 times. Thats still a lot of patience, but by no means an unlimited amount of times to forgive someone. I can see in a course of a lifetime, one could use up 490 offenses if anyone is willing to keep track.

Posted: 01 February 2013 04:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2013-01-26
NewShoe - 31 January 2013 04:29 AM

Engegue,
If taken literally as many want to take the bible it should be 490 times. Thats still a lot of patience, but by no means an unlimited amount of times to forgive someone. I can see in a course of a lifetime, one could use up 490 offenses if anyone is willing to keep track.

LOL. Here’s the actual passage:
Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

To be really literal, Peter’s reference to “my brother”, singular, means everyone we meet should be forgiven 490 times. If you lived till you were 80, you would be able to forgive each person once every 60 days (80x365/490). Depending on how many people you know, you could be forgiving someone every day of your life.

Cheers,
enegue

[ Edited: 01 February 2013 04:12 AM by enegue]

Posted: 05 February 2013 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Rank
Joined  2013-01-26

I suppose that might also mean long after you dont know them anymore? I knew someone years ago for about 6mos. I would say that person used up the alotment during that time.

2 of 2

‹‹ Pascal's Wager.      The Law of God ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed