1 of 3
Ignore Function
Posted: 13 June 2005 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2005-02-23

I did a little poking around, and there are phpBB plugins that allow users to create an ignore list.  I believe that this would be a welcome feature for many of the users here, as it would allow each of us to establish our own personal threshold for some of the more outrageous posters.

-Matt

Posted: 11 January 2006 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2006-01-09

Ignore would be quite helpful!  I’m not sure I’m all that interested in ‘rebuking’ a certain poster, but I’d very much like to never see their posts again.  I have also found this a useful feature on other boards, and I think it’s more necessary here than anywhere I’ve been before.  There’s just no talking with some people, and I’d rather not have to listen to that kind of person.

Posted: 22 February 2006 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2005-12-22

[quote author=“forumadmin”]I will take that up with Sam. I have used that feature on other sites and found it useful.

Please if you have an issue with a certain member, email me. I do not mind sending an email telling people to behave or even banning members that go too far.

Nah…an ignore list would be good.

Some people like “debating” with fundie trolls.  Let them.  I just don’t want to see the notification that there are new posts when it’s just a troll.

Posted: 06 March 2006 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2005-12-04

Not sure it counts for much, but I’ll second the ignore list idea.

Posted: 07 March 2006 03:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2005-02-06

Please, an ignore function would be great!!

Rod

Posted: 17 March 2006 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2005-10-24

I tried to add four users to the list, two showed up listed, but the other two did not.  The message stated that they were already on the list, but their handles did not show up on the list.

—————————————————————-
later:
Well I just tried again and it worked. So, never mind.  Question: What is the effect supposed to be? These user names still show up in the index.

Posted: 17 March 2006 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2005-11-15

-

Hello Mr./Ms. Admin…

Will this option eventually be placed prominently on each forum list, a “How To Block an Offensive Poster” link at the top maybe? Just seems it would be good to have handy… sort of like blood pressure medication wink.

_

Signature 

Welcome to Planet Earth, where Belief masquerades as Knowledge!

This way to the Unasked Questions—->
<—- This way to the Unquestioned Answers

Posted: 17 March 2006 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-15

[quote author=“veracitatus”]
—————————————————————-
later:
Well I just tried again and it worked. So, never mind.  Question: What is the effect supposed to be? These user names still show up in the index.

I think the idea is that the person’s name still appears as a poster in the thread, but the post content is rendered invisible. Good enough for me wink.

_

Signature 

Posted: 18 March 2006 03:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2005-10-24

[quote author=“Mia”]
I think the idea is that the person’s name still appears as a poster in the thread, but the post content is rendered invisible. Good enough for me wink.

_

Thanks.  I just found that out as I went through some threads.  The names appearing is a subtle reminder of how much we have to endure!!! But its great not to have to read the garbage.  NOw if only the folks I do want to read would stop quoting those I don’t…

Posted: 19 March 2006 02:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25

[quote author=“veracitatus”][quote author=“Mia”]

_

Thanks.  I just found that out as I went through some threads.  The names appearing is a subtle reminder of how much we have to endure!!! But its great not to have to read the garbage.  NOw if only the folks I do want to read would stop quoting those I don’t…

veracitatus, I got to hand it to ya, you sure turned out to be a whining little crybaby. A total milquetoast. Until you get backbone, I think we should change your name to Caspar Milquetoast.

(chuckle)

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 19 March 2006 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2338
Joined  2006-02-19

Champion
How dare you insult veracitatus. He is a tenured professor who happens to be writing a very important ebook. The ignore button allows him to act like a professor. Say whatever he wants with no responsibility to the consequences of his ideas and not listen to any criticism. Welcome to 21st century academia.

Posted: 19 March 2006 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25

[quote author=“frankr”]Champion
How dare you insult veracitatus. He is a tenured professor who happens to be writing a very important ebook. The ignore button allows him to act like a professor. Say whatever he wants with no responsibility to the consequences of his ideas and not listen to any criticism. Welcome to 21st century academia.

LOL

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 19 March 2006 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25

Still love ya. Just having fun. grin

Signature 

Posted: 30 March 2006 01:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2006-03-28

What do ya bet this is the thread where that ignore button was first used… *cough* on TC *cough*

hehe, dont worry i wont ignore you silly lil’guy!

Posted: 30 March 2006 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2006-03-18

[quote author=“Mia”][quote author=“veracitatus”]
—————————————————————-
later:

_

Of course all life is a process of breaking down, but the blows that do the dramatic side of the work - the big sudden blows that come, or seem to come, from outside - the ones you remember and blame things on and, in moments of weakness, tell your friends about, don’t show their effect all at once. There is another sort of blow that comes from within - that you don’t feel until it’s too late to do anything about it, until you realize with finality that in some regard you will never be as good a man again. The first sort of breakage seems to happen quick - the second kind happens almost without your knowing it but is realized suddenly indeed. Before I go on with this short history, let me make a general observation - the test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. One should, for example, be able to see that things are hopeless and yet be determined to make them otherwise.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

When I first entered this zone I was impressed by Mia’s open-mindedness and then by V’s obvious intelligence.  Today it’s the arrogance that leaves the most significant impression, sad to say.

Posted: 30 March 2006 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-15

-

klangdon… I don’t want to misunderstand, and would make no claim to “first-rate intelligence”... but are you suggesting that to put someone like treblinka on an ignore list is an indication of lack of intelligence?

_

Signature 

1 of 3

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed