1 of 5
Letter to a Christian Nation: Counter Point by RC Metcalf
Posted: 18 April 2007 03:33 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-04-18

Hello! While Doug claims to offer the first evangelical response to Sam Harris, my book Letter to a Christian Nation: Counter Point has been available on Amazon and B&N for almost a month. Nevertheless, we're here to dialogue and it seems Mike and Doug are my team mates in this endeavor. 

I come to the table offering a background in the hard sciences as well as a Christian theological perspective.  So… any questions or comments that may seem appropriate for me… fire away!

Since I have taken the time to write my views in my book, you may wish to avail yourself of a copy and then fire away.

I may also chime in under their topic headings if the discussion warrants.

All the best, RC Metcalf

Posted: 18 April 2007 03:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1568
Joined  2006-03-02

Before I ask any questions about your views, I need to know one thing:
How big are your numbers?

Signature 

What do I care for a hell for oppressors? What good can hell do, since those children have already been tortured? And what becomes of harmony, if there is hell? I want to forgive. I want to embrace. I don’t want more suffering. And if the sufferings of children go to swell the sum of sufferings which was necessary to pay for truth, then I protest that the truth is not worth such a price.
-Ivan Karamazov

Posted: 18 April 2007 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  154
Joined  2007-04-11

RC,

Welcome to the Sam Harris forum and thanks for starting a new thread !

As you saw, I have my own thread going and “have plenty to say grace over” there, but will pop in occasionally to add my two cents !

Posted: 18 April 2007 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27

Oooh. Dueling bookjackets.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 19 April 2007 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2007-04-19

I suppose the first two questions would have to be:

1. What is the evidence for the existence of god?  Describe the evidence, explain your conclusions based on that evidence, and discuss alternate explanations (if any exist).

2. What is the evidence that, if we assume god exists, it is the God of Abraham?  Specifically, I’d like to know (a) the specific evidence for Yahweh’s existence and (b) the specific evidence on which your rejection of Zeus, Thor, Poseidon, Ra, and all possible other gods is based.  If possible, discuss why you have rejected each other god (i.e. why did you reject Zeus?  Why did you reject Ra?, etc).  A related question would be, given that you clearly accept Yahweh, why are the teachings of Judaism or Islam unacceptable to you?

Signature 

“If there is nothing that can convince you that you are wrong, then you don’t need anything to convince you that you are right.” - waltercat

Posted: 19 April 2007 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-27

Yes, those are the questions, edgy. Congratulations for having identified them. You get demerits, however, for acting as if these questions have never been asked before. Welcome to the Forums; go forth and multiply.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 19 April 2007 07:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Joined  2007-04-19
[quote author=“Salt Creek”]Yes, those are the questions, edgy. Congratulations for having identified them. You get demerits, however, for acting as if these questions have never been asked before. Welcome to the Forums; go forth and multiply.

I am aware that they have been asked before;  I wasn’t trying to be cheeky.  Sorry if it came off that way (first post and all…bad etiquette).

Still, I’d love to hear the “answers”.

Signature 

“If there is nothing that can convince you that you are wrong, then you don’t need anything to convince you that you are right.” - waltercat

Posted: 19 April 2007 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-27
[quote author=“edge100”]Still, I’d love to hear the “answers”.

You would, wouldja? Me too. Cheekier still to think you’re gonna get ‘em.

Oh. Excuse the heck outa me. You are asking rhetorical questions. I know you know you are.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 19 April 2007 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Joined  2007-04-19
[quote author=“Salt Creek”][quote author=“edge100”]Still, I’d love to hear the “answers”.

You would, wouldja? Me too. Cheekier still to think you’re gonna get ‘em.

Oh. Excuse the heck outa me. You are asking rhetorical questions.

Is it possible to give a “rhetorical” answer?

Signature 

Posted: 19 April 2007 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-27
[quote author=“edge100”]Is it possible to give a “rhetorical” answer?

The question is, is it possible to give a useful “rhetorical” answer? Otherwise, you’re just trying to prove a point. The point at the top of your head.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 19 April 2007 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Joined  2007-04-19

[quote author=“Salt Creek”]

The question is, is it possible to give a useful “rhetorical” answer? Otherwise, you’re just trying to prove a point. The point at the top of your head.

Now I’m really interested to see the answers!

Signature 

Posted: 19 April 2007 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-27
[quote author=“edge100”]Now I’m really interested to see the answers!

Well. that’s good. Because being interested is better than having the answers, in which latter case, one is no longer interested.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 19 April 2007 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Rank
Joined  2007-04-19
[quote author=“Salt Creek”][quote author=“edge100”]Now I’m really interested to see the answers!

Well. that’s good. Because being interested is better than having the answers, in which latter case, one is no longer interested.

Indeed.

I’m sure the OP’s answers are around here somewhere…I’m sure the data has just been misplaced.  Right?  :D

Signature 

Posted: 19 April 2007 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26

I’m staying out of this one too. LOL

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted: 19 April 2007 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-27

From here forward, I am going to assume anyone posting from a “Christian theological perspective”, especially with any bells and whistles, is not only delusional, but demented as well, until that person demonstrates otherwise.

There is just no percentage in reasoning with Christians, especially those who are enthusiastic enough to visit an atheist forum and beard us with their “perspectives”. I am now, more than ever, convinced that there is, indeed, “nothing new under the sun”.

Why don’t they just stay home and stick to their knitting?

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 19 April 2007 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  775
Joined  2006-12-04

Salt Creek wrote:

From here forward, I am going to assume anyone posting from a “Christian theological perspective”, especially with any bells and whistles, is not only delusional, but demented as well, until that person demonstrates otherwise.

That would require that they extend the same courtesty to me that I extend to them.

If they expect me to respond to their belief in Chrisitianity and its God, then they should be willing to respond to my belief in Superman.

If they expect me to seriously discuss the Bible, then they should be willing to seriously discuss Superman Comics.

I am willing to discuss the role of Jesus to his disciples, as long as they are willing to discuss the role of Superman to Lois Lane.

I promise to take their belief as seriously as they take mine.

1 of 5

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed