new interpretation of Old Testament god solves the conundrum
Posted: 21 December 2004 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2004-12-21

Even though my profile has HTML ON, it shows it as off.  Thus, you'll need to cut/paste the links below.

http://www.eridu.co.uk

http://www.eridu.co.uk/Author/myth_religion/myth_religion.html

God is the source for meteorites.  The meteorite (by way of ancient Egypt) is the source for the symbolism in the bible.  Fire, flames, burning, rocks, mountains, lake of fire, isle of fire, et. al. are symbolic terms to express the BELIEF that god was/is the source for "those that come down" (Nefilim in Genesis 6:4 KJV translation).

So, instead of telling theists that you just don't believe, being able to show them the CONTINUUM of religious beliefs from Sumeria (also believed in meteorites though in an external, NON-geocentric way) and Ancient Egypt on down through Xianity and Islam MAY at least get a few to think about the illogical parts of their beliefs.

BTW, I'm a non-theist myself.  I became interested in what the heck WERE the writers of the bible talking about with all that crazy "aggressive" situations in the bible.  Well, it's been staring at us for 1000's of years but no one seems to have connected the dots.

Thus, ALL this fuss over the last few thousand years has been over a belief that meteorites seeded earth (i.e. Jesus is the "seed of man" or "son of man").  Unfortunately, all the political agendas in the bible are taken in by many a believer.

JL

Posted: 22 December 2004 02:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-21

Come on people.  The solution is staring us in the face.  Partake.  Please.

JL

Posted: 22 December 2004 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2004-12-22

Well, Jesus comes from the strory of Isis, Noah from Gilgamesh, etc…

That never seems to stirke a chord…

But I know what you mean.  One thing I tell people is that there probably was some serious flooding down around and through the caucuses and the Black and Caspian seas with the recedence of the last ice age, possibly explaining the great flood stories from that part of the world and time.

Posted: 22 December 2004 03:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-21

[quote author=“Jersey McJones”]Well, Jesus comes from the strory of Isis, Noah from Gilgamesh, etc…

But I know what you mean.  One thing I tell people is that there probably was some serious flooding down around and through the caucuses and the Black and Caspian seas with the recedence of the last ice age, possibly explaining the great flood stories from that part of the world and time.

The flood story has nothing to do with a flood that originated on EARTH.  Our ancestors were symbolically telling a myth (anthropomorphized) to explain how all the water got here in the FIRST place.  It was a GLOBAL flood from heaven—> Earth.

JL

Posted: 22 December 2004 03:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2004-12-22

[quote author=“exploded-planet-god”][quote author=“Jersey McJones”]Well, Jesus comes from the strory of Isis, Noah from Gilgamesh, etc…

The flood story has nothing to do with a flood that originated on EARTH.  Our ancestors were symbolically telling a myth (anthropomorphized) to explain how all the water got here in the FIRST place.  It was a GLOBAL flood from heaven—> Earth.

JL

In the Bible, water was already here by the time of Noah.

Posted: 22 December 2004 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-21

[quote author=“Jersey McJones”][quote author=“exploded-planet-god”][quote author=“Jersey McJones”]Well, Jesus comes from the strory of Isis, Noah from Gilgamesh, etc…

JL

The writers were compiling THEIR beliefs along with PRIOR beliefs.  Thus, the inconsistency.  Remember, in Gilgamesh, flood took 6 days.  Lengthened to 40 in the OT.  Certainly if it were a ONE day flood, it would be easier to see the symbolism.

JL

Posted: 22 December 2004 04:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Joined  2004-12-22

[quote author=“exploded-planet-god”][quote author=“Jersey McJones”][quote author=“exploded-planet-god”][quote author=“Jersey McJones”]Well, Jesus comes from the strory of Isis, Noah from Gilgamesh, etc…

JL

The writers were compiling THEIR beliefs along with PRIOR beliefs.  Thus, the inconsistency.  Remember, in Gilgamesh, flood took 6 days.  Lengthened to 40 in the OT.  Certainly if it were a ONE day flood, it would be easier to see the symbolism.

JL

Oh, I see what you mean!

Posted: 23 December 2004 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-21

Bump.

I’m reasonably capable of fielding any questions regarding Alford’s OT god theory (symbolism is the name of the game) should anyone here have any.

JL

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed