1 of 2
Music that deal with this?
Posted: 07 July 2007 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2007-04-14

Anyone know of any music out there now that deals with these realities found in Sam's book.  About muslim fundamentalists and the war on Western Society, any type of music is good.  I'm guessing you'd find such types of topics covered in punk style music.  Anyone know of any music?

Posted: 08 July 2007 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  497
Joined  2005-02-22

[quote author=“bribri10134”] Anyone know of any music out there now that deals with these realities found in Sam’s book. About muslim fundamentalists and the war on Western Society‚Ķ

I wish someone had asked back in 1983-85. My band did stuff like that.
I often annoyed people with talk about the rise of Islam and the fall of the USSR. There was always trouble anywhere along the storm front between Christianity and Islam, except for where some secularized despotic ruler could exceed them in terror.
Post-hostages, post-disco, pre-midi, pre-digital… the headstrong days of the Reagan Error when everyone was broke and chasing after a bland, sensual escapist fare. The gear sucked. A terrible time to have a go at the rock band thing.

Signature 

Delude responsibly.

Posted: 03 August 2007 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2338
Joined  2006-02-19

I think Sam Harris’s ideas are perfectly summed up in Teenage Lobotomy by the Ramones.

[quote author=“Ramones”]Lobotomy, lobotomy, lobotomy, lobotomy!
DDT did a job on me
Now I am a real sickie
Guess I’ll have to break the news
That I got no mind to lose
All the girls are in love with me
I’m a teenage lobotomy

Slugs and snails are after me
DDT keeps me happy
Now I guess I’ll have to tell ‘em
That I got no cerebellum
Gonna get my Ph.D.
I’m a teenage lobotomy

Posted: 03 August 2007 04:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
[quote author=“frankr”]I think Sam Harris’s ideas are perfectly summed up in Teenage Lobotomy by the Ramones.

And I think the voice of the Prophets is quite well summed up in this verse from The Romantics:

Tell me I’m the only one, wanna come over tonight, yeah

Keep on whispering in my ear
Tell me all the things that I wanna hear
‘Cause it’s true
That’s what I like about You

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 03 August 2007 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-19

The Ramones are so much better than The Romantics.

Posted: 03 August 2007 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2007-05-28

Really?  I’ve never understood what people saw in the Ramones.  I was so prepared to love them until I actually heard their music.  What a disappointment.

Posted: 03 August 2007 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-19

[quote author=“sambarge”]Really?  I’ve never understood what people saw in the Ramones.  I was so prepared to love them until I actually heard their music.  What a disappointment.

de gustibus non disputandem est

Posted: 03 August 2007 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20

[quote author=“frankr”][quote author=“sambarge”]Really?  I’ve never understood what people saw in the Ramones.  I was so prepared to love them until I actually heard their music.  What a disappointment.

eppur si muove (and yet it does move)  attributed to Galileo after recanting his assertion of the earth’s motion.

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 03 August 2007 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-19

[quote author=“unsmoked”][quote author=“frankr”][quote author=“sambarge”]Really?  I’ve never understood what people saw in the Ramones.  I was so prepared to love them until I actually heard their music.  What a disappointment.

eppur si muove (and yet it does move)  attributed to Galileo after recanting his assertion of the earth’s motion.

Are you saying that the Romantics are the better group and this is as fixed as our static sun. Or that Galileo was wrong and the sun does move so therefore the Ramones are clearly superior.

Posted: 03 August 2007 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20

[quote author=“frankr”][quote author=“unsmoked”][quote author=“frankr”][quote author=“sambarge”]Really?  I’ve never understood what people saw in the Ramones.  I was so prepared to love them until I actually heard their music.  What a disappointment.

Are you saying that the Romantics are the better group and this is as fixed as our static sun. Or that Galileo was wrong and the sun does move so therefore the Ramones are clearly superior.

frankr, I’m sorry.  It suddenly entered my head that ‘Wisdom of the Popes’ would be a good title for an album.  Then, you see, I wanted a subtitle, so I thought of Galileo’s remark.  Now, all I need is the band and the music - I’ll do the lyrics, but I may plagiarise some of your lines from other posts: one of the songs might be called ‘Frat Boy’, possibly with a beat like the theme song from ‘Cops’ -

Frat boy
Frat boy
Where you gonna run
When they come for you?

Anyway, don’t be too critical.  It’s a work in progress.

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 03 August 2007 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2007-07-27

[quote author=“Nhoj Morley”]I wish someone had asked back in 1983-85. My band did stuff like that.

Yeah - those were the years.  Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, New Model Army…lots of bands addressed reason over religion.

Posted: 12 October 2007 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-10-12

Well i figured i’d make my first post on this forum on the simple side of things and respond to this first! There is actually a melodic hardcore band called crossbearer whos lead singer is assembling a book with defenses from carrier, dawkins, and himself. The music is heavy, but its the most potent message against religion i’ve ever heard. The band has a myspace page at http://www.myspace.com/thetwilightofidols if you like heavy music its fantastic. He was also a host on infidel radio for a while and was pursuing a degree to be a pastor before he became an atheist. Check em out!

Posted: 25 October 2007 04:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2007-07-16
empty - 03 August 2007 02:03 PM

...New Model Army…

One of my all time faves, surprised to see their name pop up. They’re still around, you know, and touring like mad.
http://www.newmodelarmy.org

Signature 

Music by me: http://www.myspace.com/gwoodbonobos

Posted: 25 October 2007 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  591
Joined  2005-11-22

J. S. Bach….....totally free

Posted: 25 October 2007 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2007-07-16

Wasn’t he in some 80’s hair metal band?

Signature 

Music by me: http://www.myspace.com/gwoodbonobos

Posted: 26 October 2007 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  591
Joined  2005-11-22

g.wood.  I clicked on your link and felt assaulted.  I do not feel assaulted by reading Sam’s books.  Do people take your sound seriously?

1 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed