I saw movie “The Kingdom” today
Posted: 29 September 2007 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1243
Joined  2005-11-14

It was decent.  I am not a movie critic so all I know was that I was glad to have seen it in the theatre.  The ending profoundly moved me.  I was sobbing… but then again I am still raw from September 11th and it has been 6 years since that happened.

I’d say more about the movie but I despise when others do spoiler reviews so I won’t.

Noggin

Posted: 29 September 2007 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  134
Joined  2005-06-09

I’m just about to head out the door to see it myself! The reviews all look good. Let you know how I liked it in a few hours.

Posted: 29 September 2007 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-09

Whew! Just home now. That was one powerful movie, man. No cheap morals, no Hollywood ending. Very realistic. Time to read Sam again. He’s so bloody right about this stuff.

Posted: 29 September 2007 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-14

Cactus—

Can you believe that ending?  It just gripped me by the throat and forced me to deal with what is going on over there in my head.  I am so frustrated because it seems there is nothing I can do to knock sense into them or us. 

WE ARE PEOPLE FIRST, THEISTS/ATHEISTS/IDEOLOGISTS SECOND!!!

Noggin

Posted: 30 September 2007 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-09

By “that ending” do you mean what was whispered into the respective ears? That’s what I mean by “ending”, and that is why this is no Disney/Hollywood movie. Chilling. But believable. All too believable.
You know, I hate to think I would ever agree with Ann Coulter about anything, but I read a quote from her saying something like “they hate us? Fine. We hate them. They want to kill us? Well, we want to kill them too. Let’s kill them before they kill us.” My usual take on things like this is, like a good liberal that I am, I ask “what did we do to make them hate us so?”. The presumption being that it is always our fault for starting things. That’s probably true most of the time. But this Islamic/Western thing may be deeper than we know. Something nobody can reason with. Which is why it makes me think of Sam’s book again. The sheer irrationality of “faith” needs to be confronted, whether christian or muslim or whatever
Do you know of the progressive radio talk show host Ed Schultz? He took part in a forum with several other Air America hosts here in Seattle in July. Ed is as anti-Bush/let’s get out of Iraq as anybody, but he also said that there is a very real element of people over there hating us and wanting to cause us harm no matter who is president, no matter we’re in Iraq, or what. Saudi Arabia is a terrifying place to me. And our country, and the global economy, is dependent on them totally.
Did you know that Jimmy Carter, in 1979, set out a plan, a vision to make the US free of middle eastern oil by the year 2000? He saw what was coming alright. But then Reagan laughed him out of the White House, and it was back to oil-as-usual politics.
So the movie was very real. I was really impressed with that timeline opening of the movie.
So I am blown away by that movie, and yet even this morning I played my bit-part in it by pulling into the local Shell station and pumping ten gallons of that magic juice into my tank. I need those ten gallons to keep my family fed this week. And so does everybody else. And we’re buying it from people whose religious identity is based on hating us.
Man, we’ve got to find other ways to make cars go. But then, if we were to tell the Saudis “thanks, but no thanks” for their only product, wouldn’t they really hate us even more? And then what would they do?
Nasty business, eh?

Posted: 01 October 2007 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  118
Joined  2007-03-13

What is this film about and how does it relate to Islam?

Posted: 01 October 2007 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24
Noggin - 30 September 2007 01:39 AM

WE ARE PEOPLE FIRST, THEISTS/ATHEISTS/IDEOLOGISTS SECOND!!!

Sadly, you almost have to be an agnostic/atheist to see it that way, which is precisely what I consider the most seriously negative influence of religion.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 03 October 2007 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17

Saw it last night, excellent film.  Talha, not to worry, it was very respectful of Islam, but if you are in Saudi you might not get the chance to see it (and might be offended by the woman FBI agent—that seemed to me the one lack of reality, in Saudi she would have been wearing a headscarf).

Posted: 05 October 2007 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-14
Cactus Ed - 30 September 2007 04:22 PM

By “that ending” do you mean what was whispered into the respective ears? That’s what I mean by “ending”, and that is why this is no Disney/Hollywood movie. Chilling. But believable. All too believable.

precisley.  I know that is being whispered in many of the ears of Americans and Middle Easterners, but to see it just chilled me to the core.

But then, if we were to tell the Saudis “thanks, but no thanks” for their only product, wouldn’t they really hate us even more? And then what would they do?
Nasty business, eh?

oh you know it!

Noggin

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed