Osho
Posted: 09 November 2007 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  528
Joined  2007-10-24

What do you all think? Cult leader or not? Here’s some videos of the guy talkin:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x6UMT94jNGI
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hhjOnYbKJJw
http://youtube.com/watch?v=O9we864sMns
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5ocbZhRQS9I

Posted: 13 November 2007 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-24

23 Views and not a single reply?

Wow

Posted: 13 November 2007 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  498
Joined  2005-02-22

It goes to show, if you just grow your beard long enough, and talk r-e-a-l slowly, everyone will think you’re saying something really important.
I’m fine with a lot of things he says and then sometimes he’s bonkers with a capital b.

He used to give elocution seminars at a bookstore around here.

Back in the 80’s, I had a “Boot the Bogwan!” button.

His speech about the word f**k is a real hoot.

My wife is a fan. Don’t tell her I posted this.

Signature 

Delude responsibly.

Posted: 14 November 2007 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-24
Nhoj Morley - 14 November 2007 01:52 AM

It goes to show, if you just grow your beard long enough, and talk r-e-a-l slowly, everyone will think you’re saying something really important.

haha

His “Book Of Secrets” is interesting, it’s over 1,000 pages and well worth the $20 I spent on it. Created a lot of interesting thoughts. But, there’s something odd about the guy. It’s almost like he thinks he’s the snake from that Jungle Book cartoon and he’s trying to hypnotize people with his vacant glare.

I’m fine with a lot of things he says and then sometimes he’s bonkers with a capital b.

What did he say that you find bonkers?

He used to give elocution seminars at a bookstore around here.

Back in the 80’s, I had a “Boot the Bogwan!” button.

His speech about the word f**k is a real hoot.

Did that “F-Word” thing start with him? I heard it before I seen that video and then I seen the video and the date and was like, “Hmm, I wonder if he started it or if he jacked it from somebody else?”

Guru Comedians
Interesting combination

My wife is a fan. Don’t tell her I posted this.

At least it’s not that little fat Prem Rawat character.
I refuse to follow a man that claims to be enlightened and can’t control his diet. I would never follow another man in the first place, but if I were going to . . . it would have to be Bruce:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RRdTJi0v3fQ&feature=related

Posted: 15 November 2007 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  498
Joined  2005-02-22
Yahun - 15 November 2007 01:49 AM

What did he say that you find bonkers?

I barely have time to post and no time to be a bogwaphile, but I will yak further on the subject.
He has been around awhile. He is what Ted Koppel would call a piece of work.
Sometimes he seems to understand a sort of cognition of consciousness and sometimes I get lost in the woo-woo. He is alternative enough to be appealing to many people in the US. The Osho must go on…

It’s ironic. Now we boot up the bogwan.

When presented with philosophy, care must be taken in siphoning off the information from the presentation, for two philosophies are being offered.

Picture Osho speaking these words after twenty minutes of loud sitar music.
“The Universe…  must have…  a creator.  It is here….  therefore….  someone… created it.”
The crowd says, “Aahhh….”

Now imagine Jerry Lewis with buck teeth and frizzy hair jumping around and waving his arms like a chicken.
He is screaming, in a high pitched silly voice, “The universe Must have a creator! It is here! It is right freakin here! So, someone, don’t blame me, must have created it!”

Philosophy that comes in the form of information should be able to pass the Jerry Lewis test. Information can influence the way you think and offer descriptions of the world that are helpful guidelines in coping with our incoming sensory experience. Newton’s laws pass the Jerry test. Hobbes does not. Hume holds up pretty well.

There is also philosophy that is the experience of its presentation regardless of the information it contains. It can influence your behavior. It can guide you to physical states that are conducive to thinking about philosophical information or states that are free from any information processing at all. The play is the thing. For Jerry, the philosophy is a surrender to the absurdity of the world we’ve built for ourselves. For Osho, it harder to pin down. It’s more about evoking a feeling than delivering his garden variety philosophical information. It’s the pitch, the pace and the stare. “Visa… or… MasterCard…. “
“Aaahhhhh…. “

Philosophical information can shape the way you think and what you think the world is. We can become so informed by it that it actually shapes what our eyes see, and filters the vision that becomes available to us to think about.

Philosophical experience can shape the way you act and present yourself to others. It can influence and govern the physical and emotional state you get to think with.

These two philosophical pursuits can carry on in our lives without any similarity or awareness of each other.
I think Osho knows that.

I would never follow another man in the first place, but if I were going to . . . it would have to be Bruce.

Bruce Lee, eh? I’d have to say Batman(60’s).

“Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don’t know?”

“Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact”

Signature 

Delude responsibly.

Posted: 15 November 2007 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-24
Nhoj Morley - 15 November 2007 11:02 AM

I barely have time to post and no time to be a bogwaphile, but I will yak further on the subject.
He has been around awhile. He is what Ted Koppel would call a piece of work.
Sometimes he seems to understand a sort of cognition of consciousness and sometimes I get lost in the woo-woo. He is alternative enough to be appealing to many people in the US. The Osho must go on…

It’s ironic. Now we boot up the bogwan.

When presented with philosophy, care must be taken in siphoning off the information from the presentation, for two philosophies are being offered.

Picture Osho speaking these words after twenty minutes of loud sitar music.
“The Universe…  must have…  a creator.  It is here….  therefore….  someone… created it.”
The crowd says, “Aahhh….”

lmao

Osho actually didn’t believe in God:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hhjOnYbKJJw

But, his manner of speaking is funny.

“Weeeee . . . . must realize . . . that itssssssss . . . not about . . . whether Iiiiiii . . . believe in God . . . but rather youuuu . . . believe in God.”

For Osho, it harder to pin down. It’s more about evoking a feeling than delivering his garden variety philosophical information. It’s the pitch, the pace and the stare. “Visa… or… MasterCard…. “
“Aaahhhhh…. “

hahaha

I would never follow another man in the first place, but if I were going to . . . it would have to be Bruce.

Bruce Lee, eh? I’d have to say Batman(60’s).

“Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don’t know?”

“Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact”

I would have liked to have seen Batman and Robin square off with the Green Hornet and Kato. Robin would have gotten his azz kicked. That standoff was lame.

http://www.1966batfan.com/kto904s.jpg

[ Edited: 15 November 2007 08:32 AM by Yahun]

Posted: 15 November 2007 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-24

Good to see that somebody on here has a sense of humor.

Posted: 18 November 2007 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  842
Joined  2006-02-19

Geez, I didn’t realize that you guys were talking about the former Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh. I mean, this is the guy who asked his followers to give up all their worldly possessions, and then owned one of the largest private fleets of Mercedes Benz’s, right?

This is from the Cult News.com website:

Memories of a dead “guru”

Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh also called “Osho” by his devotees was thrown out of the United States in 1985 after spending time in jail and paying a $400,000 fine for immigration fraud. He then wandered around the world trying to find some country that would allow him entry. Finally, after repeated rejections he returned to his native India where he died in 1990.

Rajneesh became infamous for his personal excesses and villainy in the United States. He collected 90 Rolls Royces and numerous women devoted to his sexual pleasure. Thousands of followers joined him in an effort to create a supposed spiritual utopia amidst 64,000 acres in Oregon called “Rancho Rajneesh.”

Eventually, Rajneesh tried to impose his rule over the nearby town of Antelope. His effort ultimately led to criminal acts and then later the convictions and imprisonment of many devoted followers. More than 20 cult members were indicted on criminal charges including a plot to murder a prosecutor.

But back in Pune India the old “guru” is fondly remembered by his remaining followers called “sanyasin.” The old ashram he founded is still standing and is now being renovated, reports the Times of India.

Memories associated with the dead cult leader are so sacred to some sanyasin that an effort to replace his old crumbling meeting hall was met with opposition. One devotee said, “The podium and the floor should not be allowed to be demolished at any cost.” And insisted, “Something must be done to protect it.”

It seems the place where Rajneesh once held court still holds some mystical or sacred significance to those who choose to call him a “enlightened self-realized soul,” rather than a destructive cult leader.

However, back in Antelope, Oregon where Rajneesh tried to poison people with salmonella and sickened about 750 residents, the only remaining residue of his rule that still remains is a small plaque at the base of the post-office flagpole. It says, “Dedicated to those of this community who through the Rajneesh invasion and occupation of 1981-85 remained, resisted and remembered.”

This is the only fitting epitaph or legacy that the cult leader really deserves.

No enlightenment here. Sounds like another power hungry preacher using religion to defraud people of their hard earned cash.

Really, Yahun, I’m surprised you even gave this jerk a chance.

[ Edited: 18 November 2007 07:17 PM by Celsus]
 Signature 

People have said that an infinite number of monkeys typing on an infinite number of keyboards would produce the works of Shakespeare, but the internet has shown this to be wrong.

Posted: 19 November 2007 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-24
Celsus - 19 November 2007 12:14 AM

Geez, I didn’t realize that you guys were talking about the former Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh. I mean, this is the guy who asked his followers to give up all their worldly possessions, and then owned one of the largest private fleets of Mercedes Benz’s, right?

This is from the Cult News.com website:

Memories of a dead “guru”

Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh also called “Osho” by his devotees was thrown out of the United States in 1985 after spending time in jail and paying a $400,000 fine for immigration fraud. He then wandered around the world trying to find some country that would allow him entry. Finally, after repeated rejections he returned to his native India where he died in 1990.

Rajneesh became infamous for his personal excesses and villainy in the United States. He collected 90 Rolls Royces and numerous women devoted to his sexual pleasure. Thousands of followers joined him in an effort to create a supposed spiritual utopia amidst 64,000 acres in Oregon called “Rancho Rajneesh.”

Eventually, Rajneesh tried to impose his rule over the nearby town of Antelope. His effort ultimately led to criminal acts and then later the convictions and imprisonment of many devoted followers. More than 20 cult members were indicted on criminal charges including a plot to murder a prosecutor.

But back in Pune India the old “guru” is fondly remembered by his remaining followers called “sanyasin.” The old ashram he founded is still standing and is now being renovated, reports the Times of India.

Memories associated with the dead cult leader are so sacred to some sanyasin that an effort to replace his old crumbling meeting hall was met with opposition. One devotee said, “The podium and the floor should not be allowed to be demolished at any cost.” And insisted, “Something must be done to protect it.”

It seems the place where Rajneesh once held court still holds some mystical or sacred significance to those who choose to call him a “enlightened self-realized soul,” rather than a destructive cult leader.

However, back in Antelope, Oregon where Rajneesh tried to poison people with salmonella and sickened about 750 residents, the only remaining residue of his rule that still remains is a small plaque at the base of the post-office flagpole. It says, “Dedicated to those of this community who through the Rajneesh invasion and occupation of 1981-85 remained, resisted and remembered.”

This is the only fitting epitaph or legacy that the cult leader really deserves.

No enlightenment here. Sounds like another power hungry preacher using religion to defraud people of their hard earned cash.

Really, Yahun, I’m surprised you even gave this jerk a chance.

[lmao @ Osho] I’ll play Devil’s Advocate here to make this interesting. First of all, what Osho has done is no different than what Richard Dawkins is doing. Richard has his cause (Atheism & a watered down promise of consciousness raising). Osho has his cause (Peace, Love, Sex, Singing and Dancing).
Richard Dawkins could have groupies if he wanted them. Osho stayed single and enjoyed his groupies. Richard Dawkins begs for your money for his “Foundation”. Osho never actually asked for anything. He was building a commune and the fleet of Mercedes weren’t actually Osho’s cars. His followers were buying the same car over and over and over and the cars weren’t in his name. His followers gave him gold watches and built him a fancy home (none of which were in his name). He found a way to dick the government out of taxes, without creating a religion. Richard Dawkins has a “Non-Profit Foundation”. Osho didn’t lie to his followers. In fact, he openly told them that he was a con artist. He told them that he was a con artist who taught the truth . . . and he was.

haha

It’s hilarious, but it’s true. He taught those people the truth and told them that he was a con artist and those people laughed and gave him gifts. Who gives a shyt? How is he any different from the governments that TAKE our taxes out of our checks, tax us on what we buy, tax us on what we own and send our children off to fight a war over oil, with lies about WMD’s, so that their corporate bed buddies can keep providing us with over priced gas for our over-sized SUV’s and Trucks.

Who gives a shyt if the man wore fancy watches, drove nice cars and lived in a nice home. He entertained the people and gave them truth and told them the entire time that he was doing it . . . Are we going to criticize Celebrities who get gifts showers upon them, sleep with their fans, drive fancy cars and live in fancy homes? No, we aren’t. Osho was an entertainer who taught that organized religions were a sham. But people don’t listen and he seen that they wanted to shower him with gifts, so he accepted them and kept teaching that all of that was nonsense. He was quoted several times as saying: “They have come to me of their own free will and of their own free will they shall leave.”

Nobody forced anybody to stay with the commune. That is a requirement of a cult and Osho never did that. So, was he a cult leader?

[ Edited: 19 November 2007 08:04 AM by Yahun]

Posted: 19 November 2007 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-24

The fact that you are so butt hurt over Osho and are insinuating that what he did was wrong indicates to me that you have a religious mind. Where does your view of his actions being wrong come from? Is it because he wasn’t teaching God the way God is supposed to be taught? Look deep inside and I’d bet that’s the real reason you’re offended by Osho.

Truth is, Osho didn’t teach God. He taught love, peace, sex and equality between men and women. He didn’t promise people anything that he wasn’t providing them. So he took the gifts that they offered him. So what? Don’t you take the gifts that people give to you? I do. It’s rude not to.

See, my view of Osho is that the man simply didn’t give a shit about the world’s fake ass morals. He rejected them all. He didn’t hurt anybody. He never made any promises to people. He never forced anybody to stay with him. Personally, I think the man was a genius who taught a lot of very good things, lived a nice life for it, made many great points and then died. Now his groupies have turned a Foundation in his name and are trying to make him out to be more than he was (surprise, surprise).

Posted: 19 November 2007 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24
Yahun - 14 November 2007 12:36 AM

I wouldn’t read anything into that. Some like me will “view” a subject to clear it out so it doesn’t show up as a new post forever even if we’re not interested and don’t actually read the thread.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 19 November 2007 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-24
SkepticX - 19 November 2007 01:07 PM
Yahun - 14 November 2007 12:36 AM

I wouldn’t read anything into that. Some like me will “view” a subject to clear it out so it doesn’t show up as a new post forever even if we’re not interested and don’t actually read the thread.

Byron

Right, and how are you quoting me (several days later) if you didn’t read it?

Posted: 19 November 2007 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-24
Yahun - 19 November 2007 01:35 PM

It was up long enough, the last time I clicked it to mark it read, that I caught your comment before moving on.

Why is this even an issue?

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 19 November 2007 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-24
SkepticX - 19 November 2007 01:46 PM
Yahun - 19 November 2007 01:35 PM

It was up long enough, the last time I clicked it to mark it read, that I caught your comment before moving on.

Why is this even an issue?

Byron

*Shrugs*

You brought it up.

Posted: 19 November 2007 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-24
Yahun - 19 November 2007 02:41 PM

*Shrugs*

You brought it up.

Fair enough, I suppose.

Signature 

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed