Video game faces worldwide recall for Quran references
Posted: 17 October 2008 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2008-05-28

http://kotaku.com/5065076/littlebigplanet-faces-worldwide-recall-for-quran-references

======

The European delay of LittleBigPlanet we mentioned earlier has blossomed into a worldwide recall of the game due to passages from the Islamic holy text Qur’an being included in the background music in one of the levels.

“During the review process prior to the release of LittleBigPlanet, it has been brought to our attention that one of the background music tracks licensed from a record label for use in the game contains two expressions that can be found in the Qur’an,” admitted the company in a statement.

“We have taken immediate action to rectify this and we sincerely apologise for any offence that this may have caused.”

Yesterday a reader sent us a link to a music file containing the two offensive phrases, which can be found here. Hit the jump for the translation of the offending phrases.

The words are:

1- In the 18th second: “?? ??? ????? ?????” (“kollo nafsin tha’iqatol mawt”, literally: ‘Every soul shall have the taste of death’).

2- Almost immediately after, in the 27th second: “?? ?? ????? ???” (“kollo man alaiha fan”, literally: ‘All that is on earth will perish’).

Signature 

“Despite the cost of living, it’s still popular”

Posted: 17 October 2008 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1044
Joined  2008-02-15

What bullshit! Ever play Xenosaga I/II/III the whole story is based on the bible (Jesus himself has a cameo in III). But for the quran they have to recall for two lines! Bullshit! They should have a character called Mo who fucks a magic camel in a cave! That would show them.

Signature 

Why is there Something instead of Nothing: No reason or ever knowable reason.

Kissing Hank’s Ass
Pope Song (rated NC17).

Posted: 20 October 2008 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-04-05

I’m so sick of this gutless caving in not just to believers taking offense, but to even the possibility that some might!  This makes me want to produce a gangsta rap single, with samples of Quran verses as the music.

Signature 

“It isn’t paranoia- it’s a heightened awareness of reality.” —our resident conspiracy theorist takes a stand!

Posted: 20 October 2008 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-15
bigredfutbol - 20 October 2008 04:40 PM

I’m so sick of this gutless caving in not just to believers taking offense, but to even the possibility that some might!  This makes me want to produce a gangsta rap single, with samples of Quran verses as the music.

It is so sicking! Every time someone does this it just adds to the belief that religion is legit.

Signature 

Kissing Hank’s Ass
Pope Song (rated NC17).

Posted: 20 October 2008 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-04-05
GAD - 20 October 2008 07:00 PM

It is so sicking! Every time someone does this it just adds to the belief that religion is legit.

Bingo.  Given the recent rash of violence in the name of Islam, it’s especially galling to see any deference to “Muslim sensibilities.”

Signature 

“It isn’t paranoia- it’s a heightened awareness of reality.” —our resident conspiracy theorist takes a stand!

Posted: 20 October 2008 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  254
Joined  2008-09-06

Stupidity. But as they say “La illaha il Dollar”. There is no God but Dollar. If they think it will cost them money, then by the Invisible Hand of the Sacred Market they have to do what will maximize profits. Spines and cojones optional.

Posted: 20 October 2008 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-15

I don’t think it would cost them much if anything as the people who will be compelled to violence aren’t the ones who would buy the game. You think Binny sits in his cave playing PS3 all day….....

Signature 

Kissing Hank’s Ass
Pope Song (rated NC17).

Posted: 28 December 2008 12:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1485
Joined  2007-12-10

It wasn’t caving in.  It was a decision made within SCEI.  No one was complaining about anything when the decision was made.  Sony made the decision because it wanted to avoid potential backlash, not ebcause it was caving into any demands.  You guys should be more careful not to immediately attribute a recall to some sort of overzealous demands by the muslim community.  In this case, such demands never happened and no communities were offended.

Posted: 28 December 2008 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1485
Joined  2007-12-10
GAD - 20 October 2008 07:53 PM

I don’t think it would cost them much if anything as the people who will be compelled to violence aren’t the ones who would buy the game. You think Binny sits in his cave playing PS3 all day….....

You’d have been amazed how much of a sales problem this caused Sony.  You guys prolly aren’t aware, but the video game industry is extremely heated and competative, especially between the higher end consoles offered by Sony and Microsoft.  Sony has been hyping this title for nearly 2 years saying it would save their ill fated platform’s sales which are now stagnating.  They put a LOT of their eggs into the launch of the title and it didn’t catch on at all.  Not just because of this recall, but demographics and severe marketing problems as well.  But this botched launch killed the under the counter word of mouth that was needed to help the game keep selling into the holidays. 

Sorry, I follow the games industry quite closely and maybe get a bit too excited when others bring it up in conversations where gaming generally doesn’t arrive.  raspberry

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed