4 of 9
An Immediate request of all Sam Harris.org members
Posted: 21 November 2008 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24
little baby cheeses - 21 November 2008 06:58 AM

This makes your response seem silly quite frankly, which in turn makes me an idiot for even bothering to respond to it.

I wouldn’t put it to you so bluntly or harshly, but I think you’re onto something there, man!

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 21 November 2008 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  224
Joined  2008-10-19
little baby cheeses - 21 November 2008 06:58 AM

Immediate, I don’t really know how to say this without insulting you, but your command of the English language is somewhat lacking.  Please read Voltaire’s credo again paying attention to the tense.  You will notice that the credo is a statement of intent to protect your right to free speech in the future should it be threatened.

Sorry about the misunderstanding, I was simply responding to a sentence you wrote in which it appeared you might be trying to take some credit for defending for defending my freedom of speech, and I just wanted to make sure you weren’t.  Thanks for confirming that you have absolutely nothing to do with defending my freedom of speech, and that you never will.

Signature 

Please call me Immediate

Posted: 21 November 2008 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
Immediate Suppression - 21 November 2008 12:53 PM

you have absolutely nothing to do with defending my freedom of speech, and that you never will.

For my money, I wouldn’t defend your freedom of speech, unless you could first be institutionalized.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 21 November 2008 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23
Immediate Suppression - 12 November 2008 03:12 AM
Sander - 11 November 2008 10:16 PM

An immediate request to immediate suppression:

Go fuck yourself.

Why do you feel it necessary to respond to a polite request with such a rude response?

I’m just reading this thread so maybe it’s already been said, but yours wasn’t a “polite request”.  It was a hectoring lecture making demands.

mpbrockman - 12 November 2008 02:17 AM

A lot of us aren’t particularly fond of niceties either and will call things the way the way we see them without softening the commentary. A prick is a prick, an idiot an idiot and a fuckwit a fuckwit.

Immediate Suppression - 12 November 2008 03:12 AM

So by that measure, if Sam Harris himself came on here and voiced his opinions about mysticism, spirituality, death, and consciousness, which many of you obviously have strong disagreements with, it would be justifiable to treat him with disrespect, and call him those types of names?

“Sam Harris himself…”

Ooooh!  That would be fun.  Yeah, I wish he would come on here and voice some of those opinions. 

You must have the mistaken impression that all of us are Sam Harris fans.

[ Edited: 21 November 2008 12:19 PM by M is for Malapert]
 Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 21 November 2008 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-23
Sander - 12 November 2008 10:43 AM

If this harsh realm is not your cup of tea then there are many other places where you can sing “reach out and touch somebody’s hand” until the cows come home.

I suggest “Animal Crossing: City Folk” by Wii.  He can have his own Mii and enjoy life with cute little avatar buddies.

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

Posted: 21 November 2008 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  2008-09-02

I was simply responding to a sentence you wrote in which it appeared you might be trying to take some credit for defending for defending my freedom of speech, and I just wanted to make sure you weren’t.  Thanks for confirming that you have absolutely nothing to do with defending my freedom of speech, and that you never will.

Slight problem for your assertions: a) I have defended freedom of speech and expression on many occasions, and b) when required I will again.  Now if this helps, my actions have not been specifically targeted at or for you.  As hard as this next concept may be to grasp, it’s not about you, never was and never will be.

Posted: 21 November 2008 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
little baby cheeses - 21 November 2008 05:10 PM

Slight problem for your assertions: a) I have defended freedom of speech and expression on many occasions, and b) when required I will again.  Now if this helps, my actions have not been specifically targeted at or for you.  As hard as this next concept may be to grasp, it’s not about you, never was and never will be.

If I were defending IS’s freedom of expression, I would do it purely out of delight in his entertainment value, and not blathering about some Enlightenment-era pipe dream. Rousseau didn’t have Internet.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 21 November 2008 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-23

I was simply responding to a sentence you wrote in which it appeared you might be trying to take some credit for defending for defending my freedom of speech, and I just wanted to make sure you weren’t.  Thanks for confirming that you have absolutely nothing to do with defending my freedom of speech, and that you never will.

What on earth is wrong with you?  Just voting for one person against another could be an instance of defending your freedom of speech.

I don’t understand why some people have such an intense need to control other people’s words, actions, thoughts… That is, I do understand it when it comes to power and emotional satisfaction, but does that apply here?  Apparently so.  I guess fish look for a pond their own size.

Signature 

Posted: 21 November 2008 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  2008-09-02
Salt Creek - 21 November 2008 05:19 PM

If I were defending IS’s freedom of expression, I would do it purely out of delight in his entertainment value, and not blathering about some Enlightenment-era pipe dream. Rousseau didn’t have Internet.

This IS entertainment value.  But then I am easily amused.

Posted: 21 November 2008 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-19
M is for Malapert - 21 November 2008 05:27 PM

What on earth is wrong with you?  Just voting for one person against another could be an instance of defending your freedom of speech.

That may be true in some instances, but that is certainly not the case here.  Baby cheese has nothing to do with defending my freedom of speech, and I just wanted to make sure he understood that fact.

Signature 

Please call me Immediate

Posted: 21 November 2008 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-23
Immediate Suppression - 21 November 2008 06:29 PM

That may be true in some instances, but that is certainly not the case here.  Baby cheese has nothing to do with defending my freedom of speech, and I just wanted to make sure he understood that fact.

I see.  You appear to be quite determined to establish this, ah, “fact”.  What did LBC do to perturb you so successfully?

Signature 

Posted: 21 November 2008 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-19
M is for Malapert - 21 November 2008 07:40 PM
Immediate Suppression - 21 November 2008 06:29 PM

I see.  You appear to be quite determined to establish this, ah, “fact”.  What did LBC do to perturb you so successfully?

He didn’t perterb me, I just wanted to set the record straight.  It reminded me of when people in the military say ignorant things like this:  “Go ahead and say whatever you want, just don’t forget that I am the one protecting your right to say it.” 

I was actually relieved to see that this wasn’t the case with little baby cheese(I feel ridiculous whenever I type that name, is that why you chose it lbc?), and apologized for the misunderstanding.

Signature 

Please call me Immediate

Posted: 21 November 2008 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-23
Immediate Suppression - 21 November 2008 10:39 PM

He didn’t perterb me, I just wanted to set the record straight.  It reminded me of when people in the military say ignorant things like this:  “Go ahead and say whatever you want, just don’t forget that I am the one protecting your right to say it.” 

I was actually relieved to see that this wasn’t the case with little baby cheese(I feel ridiculous whenever I type that name, is that why you chose it lbc?), and apologized for the misunderstanding.

I see you’re still having that problem with verb tenses.  You might want to repeat the 8th grade if you still can’t figure it out.  It wouldn’t be so bad—like the orthopedist says, “Third grade?  Best two years of my life.”

Of course, in your case it would be three years in 8th grade, and that might get old.

[ Edited: 21 November 2008 07:29 PM by M is for Malapert]
 Signature 

Posted: 22 November 2008 02:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-19
little baby cheeses - 13 November 2008 09:29 PM

Are you really going down this childhood path crap?

Yes, I am.  Here it is again for you, since you never addressed the questions the first time:

Do you believe it is a good idea to teach children to resort to name-calling when there are disagreements?

I mean, if it is a perfectly reasonable and responsible thing to do, we should teach our children to respond in this way also, correct?

Is this what your parents taught you, in terms of how to communicate effectively with other people?  If not, what do you think they would think of your approach?

And do you think behaving in this rude manner makes a difference in changing people’s minds about things, or does it just alienate them?  If it just alienates them, what is the value in acting this way?

What is the criteria for using this type of language when disagreements arise?  Do you resort to it as soon as possible when there is a disagreement, or do you wait to see if you’ve changed the other person’s mind, and when you haven’t, then you resort to this language?

Do you use this language with co-workers and relatives when there are disagreements and you don’t get your way?  I mean if Sam said it about Sarah Palin in an inflammatory article, that makes it OK all the time, right?

Does the value in acting this way and using this type of language come from the temporary relief it gives you over the frustration that comes when you realize you are not able to change someone’s opinion about the issue you are discussing?

How would your mother feel if you weren’t hiding behind an anonymous identity, and she saw your most vulgar insults you have made on this thread, with your picture next to them?

Signature 

Please call me Immediate

Posted: 22 November 2008 02:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-19
teuchter - 14 November 2008 12:16 AM

In the spirit of Rodney “Can’t We All Just Get Along” King, I offer the following RULES FOR USING THIS FORM which will be effective on the earlier of (1) when everyone just does this anyway, or (2) when 3/5 of the States, 2/3 of the Provinces, 1 estade and Denmark ratify these rules.

RULE 1.There are no rules.

Here are the actual member registration terms of service you agreed upon when you registered for this forum, in case you had forgotten them:

Member registration terms of service

All messages posted at this site express the views of the author, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the owners and administrators of this site.

By registering at this site you agree not to post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or that violate any laws.  We will permanently ban all users who do so. 

We reserve the right to remove, edit, or move any messages for any reason.

Signature 

Please call me Immediate

4 of 9

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed