7 of 9
An Immediate request of all Sam Harris.org members
Posted: 04 December 2008 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1221
Joined  2008-07-20

My favorite random generator pairs a frame from Family Circus with a quote from Nietzsche.

http://www.losanjealous.com/nfc/

Signature 

“I am one of the few people I know who has argued in print that torture may be an ethical necessity in our war on terror.”  Sam Harris October 17, 2005

Posted: 04 December 2008 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  2008-09-02
Immediate Suppression - 04 December 2008 04:39 AM

But last time I checked, no one in this forum has threatened to commit an ‘honour killing’(Did you mean honor killing?).

I distinctly remember something you considered to be threat to your life, you whined about it several times in several different areas.  I considered it a humorous image of shit for brains dribbling down a wall.  I have reconsidered my position and, were it to occur, the act of throwing you against the wall would meet my definition of an honour killing - with or without a u.

Posted: 08 December 2008 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23
little baby cheeses - 03 December 2008 10:06 PM

The Idiotic Suppression, and thread starter, asks all to be nice on the erroneous assumption that being nice is always the more effective way of getting one’s views across.  So in my desire to show the IS that Salt Creek also has a valid point about shit for brains logic, and dispel the universality of the IS claim, I’ve asked him to explain how a civil discussion would be effective with religious fundamentalists about to commit yet another ‘honour killing’.

It wouldn’t be.

So civil and respectful discussion is not always the most effective way of getting one’s views across.  Thank you.  That’s what LBC’s been trying to get you to admit. 

Immediate Suppression - 04 December 2008 06:10 PM
Beam - 04 December 2008 12:35 PM

But last time I checked, no one in this forum has threatened to commit an ‘honor killing’

Immediate. In case you haven’t heard, it is us Yanks who changed the proper English spelling of words like ‘honour’ and ‘colour.’ The remainder of the English speaking world just ignores our spelling errors.

Instead of actually defending the irrelevant comparison little baby cheeses made, you instead choose to comment on the spelling issues I addressed, essentially making it obvious you don’t have any real defense of little baby cheeses comments.

He’s doing it again…

There was no “spelling issue”, Immodium.  As with the “spina biffida” post which you pretentiously “corrected”, you think you’ve found an effective put-down by way of “gently” and “civilly” guiding folks toward the proper spelling by asking the question “Did you mean… [correct spelling, although not in this case].”  It was dishonest of you to cut the question out, since it demonstrates your own readiness to behave rudely.  (Also demonstrated in the same post in another alleged grammatical criticism which was even ruder.  It’s irresistible, isn’t it?)

For those who didn’t read or have forgotten, the “spina biffida” incident refers to the occasion when someone else spelled it that way and you, not knowing the correct spelling yourself or even the meaning of the term, Googled it and found a website which asked “Did you mean ‘spina bifida’?  ‘Spina biffida’ is a common mispelling…” etc. and repeated the exact same language to the poster as if you had always known what you were talking about. 

In other words, you pretended that you knew the term and the correct spelling and took it upon yourself to correct him, when you didn’t even know what the disease was, as he did.

Only people with something to hide selectively edit other people’s comments like that, or your own when they become part of someone else’s post, without ellipses.

It’s one thing to edit for brevity without noting it; it’s different when you edit to disguise the subject.

Several people have complained about this by now.  Stop it.

By the way, look up the word “analogy” sometime.

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 08 December 2008 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-02
M is for Malapert - 08 December 2008 05:22 PM

Several people have complained about this by now.  Stop it.

Or he’ll go blind!

Posted: 14 December 2008 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-10-11

I agree with the spirit of “immediate”‘s request in a way, the thing I find most disappointing in this and many forums is people’s use of anonymity to release their inner Shithead. 

I love contentious debate, but revile the self-indulgent garbage spewing that so often takes its place.

In short, call a spade a spade, but quit being a self-aggrandizing Fucking Asshole while doing it.

Posted: 14 December 2008 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1221
Joined  2008-07-20
TSAlleycat - 14 December 2008 02:19 PM

I agree with the spirit of “immediate”‘s request in a way, the thing I find most disappointing in this and many forums is people’s use of anonymity to release their inner Shithead. 

I love contentious debate, but revile the self-indulgent garbage spewing that so often takes its place.

In short, call a spade a spade, but quit being a self-aggrandizing Fucking Asshole while doing it.

Welcome aboard, TS Alleycat (real name I’m sure) and thank you for your ironic post.  It was hilarious.

Signature 

“I am one of the few people I know who has argued in print that torture may be an ethical necessity in our war on terror.”  Sam Harris October 17, 2005

Posted: 14 December 2008 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2075
Joined  2007-07-20

TSalleycat,

Just thought you should know that you’re not the only one who gets sick of posters substituting invective and adolescent sarcasms for intellectual speculation.  The only “self-policing” option we have is the “ignore” option, or just not to respond.  Some of these posters are quite happy when someone calls them a “shithead” back; a loud volume of silence seems most effective. 

Dennis

Signature 

Truth, especially “moral truth,” is that elusive human creation whose exclusive apprehension is claimed by many, who then sanctimoniously condemn anyone else who does not agree with their particular apprehension, while denying that any question can be posed about their own apprehension.  I will try to avoid that tendency.  DEC

Posted: 14 December 2008 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
Dennis Campbell - 14 December 2008 03:08 PM

Just thought you should know that you’re not the only one who gets sick of posters substituting invective and adolescent sarcasms for intellectual speculation.  The only “self-policing” option we have is the “ignore” option, or just not to respond.  Some of these posters are quite happy when someone calls them a “shithead” back; a loud volume of silence seems most effective.

Hi, Dennis. Though I know you have me on “ignore”, I just want to underscore that others, in their turn are made sick by your quest to enforce a set of aesthetic standards on discourse, running roughshod, in the process, over any incidence of irony whatever. Upon you, Dennis, I confer the Obnoxious Boring Arrogant Maiden Aunt (OBAMA) award.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 14 December 2008 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2817
Joined  2005-04-29
Dennis Campbell - 14 December 2008 03:08 PM

. . . [Y]ou’re not the only one who gets sick of posters substituting invective and adolescent sarcasms for intellectual speculation.

But Dennis, wouldn’t it be nice to see simple explanation rather than intellectual speculation? To be overly frank here, when I feel like going overboard with masturbation, I reach for a copy of some early Jenna Jameson, and get it right.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 14 December 2008 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20

UZ,

Simple explanations are fine for Sunday School or maybe the first few grades in school. At this level we’re into “speculation” flavored as much as possible with some relatively hard data, but those who post as some do with “the answers” are simply ignoring the fact they do not know those answers.  Those who post crapping on everyone else, don’t know the answers either, nor do they offer ideas as to some directions, but they imply without substance they do know.

SC and some like him have posted as far as I can tell, almost nothing more than “I’m smarter than all you fuckwits,” without positing anything that justifies that narcissism.  Maybe it is just as well we “police ourselves,” as it is our responsibility to judge what we read, and not some sys admin to do so.  T., and Cindy and some others have posted not hiding behind some “clever” screen name, behind which they can engage in basically public masturbation with no progeny, but they post ideas, experiences and analysis often worth considering. 

Dennis

Signature 

Truth, especially “moral truth,” is that elusive human creation whose exclusive apprehension is claimed by many, who then sanctimoniously condemn anyone else who does not agree with their particular apprehension, while denying that any question can be posed about their own apprehension.  I will try to avoid that tendency.  DEC

Posted: 14 December 2008 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2817
Joined  2005-04-29
Dennis Campbell - 14 December 2008 09:28 PM

UZ,

Simple explanations are fine for Sunday School or maybe the first few grades in school. . . .

Dennis, I’m only suggesting that when something someone writes or utters has an intellectual ring to it, it very often arrives from pretense. As seems to be my habit, I was nitpicking your words again, for which I apologize.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 14 December 2008 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20

UZ,

Sometimes pretense is all we have? 

Dennis

Signature 

Posted: 14 December 2008 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-02
Dennis Campbell - 14 December 2008 09:28 PM

UZ,

Simple explanations are fine for Sunday School or maybe the first few grades in school. At this level we’re into “speculation” flavored as much as possible with some relatively hard data, but those who post as some do with “the answers” are simply ignoring the fact they do not know those answers.  Those who post crapping on everyone else, don’t know the answers either, nor do they offer ideas as to some directions, but they imply without substance they do know.

SC and some like him have posted as far as I can tell, almost nothing more than “I’m smarter than all you fuckwits,” without positing anything that justifies that narcissism.  Maybe it is just as well we “police ourselves,” as it is our responsibility to judge what we read, and not some sys admin to do so.  T., and Cindy and some others have posted not hiding behind some “clever” screen name, behind which they can engage in basically public masturbation with no progeny, but they post ideas, experiences and analysis often worth considering. 

Dennis

I see you’ve started a new insult thread Dennis. I’ll go next, but be brief about it so as not to waste your time, OK?

“Dennis is a wanker stuck in the feedback loop of his own verbal diarrhoea.” 

So Dennis, calling someone a fuckwit wanker, albeit in a circuitous manner, because they called you something similar?  What a dazzling intellectual sight to behold.

Posted: 16 December 2008 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  224
Joined  2008-10-19
Dennis Campbell - 04 December 2008 06:24 PM

IS,

I do not give a Rat’s Ass if any post is considered “rude” or not, that’s entirely up to the sender and the perception of any reader.  It is not up to this forum to somehow regulate the style and content of any posts, absent clear threats to physically injure someone, and that is up to the system administrators to handle, as well as any applicable law enforcement agency.

That is in the process of being handled.

Why are we spending all this time and effort on essentially a stylistic issue?

Because I made a request for civility.  I also wanted to explore this issue to see how atheists would react to such a request for civility.  It has been revealing, to say the least.

Have too many of us no better issues of some substance to advance?

Sorry to distract you from more important issues of substance, such as the insult thread, or the sandwich thread.

Signature 

Please call me Immediate

Posted: 16 December 2008 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  224
Joined  2008-10-19
little baby cheeses - 04 December 2008 06:26 PM

I have learnt more from the few rude people who have challenged my intellectual complacency than all of my immensely civil teachers combined.  I think I’ll commission a new T-shirt to commemorate

Rude and Proud!

Make sure the shirt says Atheist as well, so people will understand, and know that they should avoid communication with you at all costs.

Signature 

Please call me Immediate

7 of 9

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed