Cincinnati zoo steps on tallywhacker, avoids shooting self in foot
Posted: 02 December 2008 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  254
Joined  2008-09-06

The Cincinnati Zoo’s short-lived partnership with the Answers in Genesis Creation Museum came to a halt just a couple days after it started. Joint tickets, packages to events at both institutions and so on.

Then someone raised a flag, and the shit storm commenced.

On November 30, 2008, biologist and blogger P. Z. Myers complained about the promotion at his blog Pharyngula, writing, “the Cincinnati Zoo has betrayed its mission and its trust in a disgraceful way, by aligning themselves with a creationist institution that is a laughing stock to the rest of the world, and a mark of shame to the United States,” and urging his readers to write to the zoo to “point out the conflict between what they are doing and what their goal as an educational and research institution ought to be.” Other bloggers echoed his call, and the zoo was evidently flooded with calls and e-mails, prompting it to cancel the promotion because of the uproar. No refunds will be necessary, since no packages of tickets had been sold.

Good for Dr. Myers. Good for those of you who called or wrote the zoo.

Posted: 03 December 2008 01:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23

No refunds will be necessary, since no packages of tickets had been sold.

Damn! This is the bit that amazes me. Nobody in America’s genetic equivalent of the royal family even bought any tickets?!

Apologies to any Kentuckians we may have, but in my road dog years I once found myself in a Lexington Wal-Mart on a Sunday. I still have nightmares.

Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed